Hendrix: disastrous Band of Gypsys gig at Madison Square Garden

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris M, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

Putting aside the addict or not addict, he certainly was living dangerously. Did'nt Jimi smash up a lot of cars? All I know is Hendrix death certificate mentions barbituate intoxication and vomit, this caused him to get real sick and he did'nt survive it. I'm sure there are plenty of conspiracy theories about his and also Morrison's death. Jimi himself knew he was going to die if you ask me, some of the stuff he says in those last few months, why would he say "Thank you for the last 3 years" "maybe one of these days we'll join again" at isle of wight. All open to interpretation.

2. Jimi was a child man who was being abused my pretty much everybody he knew, including himself. His baggage was huge. Who knows? So much speculation.

3. Quidsane

Quidsane Forum Resident

Totally agree. Dropped it a few times in my teenage years (25 years ago).
    Prefer Bombay Sapphire these days...:D

Thanks for the concern.:rolleyes:
    Doesn't change the fact that Lysergic acid diethylamide has a specific chemical composition.
    Off by a molecule? Then it's not LSD.
    I'm simply pointing out that the term "bad LSD" is a misnomer.

4. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

45 years ago yesterday..

5. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Sometimes acid is cut with something and it can change the trip. There was some with speed in it and let me tell you, it wasn't any fun.
    There was also some stuff called sTp and it was very strong, I knew a couple of guys that tried it, they didn't like it at all, it made them
    sick to their stomachs. Having stomach aches while on acid is not a place to be either. Some stuff was cut with cannabinol, another
    was angel dust, these would put most folks in another dimension and it didn't look like fun. I never tried it, too much for me.

6. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

I saw Hendrix at the Atlanta Pop Festival a few months before his death. Sounded to me liked he was on junk or downers ... draggy voice and uninspired show. Yet, the recordings that eventually came out sounded aces. Hmmm.

Saw Hendrix twice, early and late in career, was underwhelmed both times. People nowadays find that hard to believe ...

Former Lee Warmer likes this.
  7. skybluestoday

skybluestoday Forum Resident

Atlanta Pop is widely regarded as a difficult concert nowadays, despite being multitracked. (Obviously the highlights now sound like stone-cold classics.) I appreciate your candor.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  8. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Judging by the video, Jimi was definitely on something, or very tired or both. Like Isle of Wight, Atlanta is actually better enjoyed without visuals. Both have some fine playing, but Jimi looks unhappy and burnt out in both concerts.

What was the early Hendrix show you went to? Thanks :)

PsychGuy likes this.
  9. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

What's a 'child man'?

10. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

Miami Pop Festival in May '68. The audio (outdoors) couldn't handle them (no punch) and the band was just playing the songs as recorded. Expectations sky high; not met. Other bands there were better, same thing later in Atlanta.

dino77 likes this.
  11. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Jimi's voice is dripping with sarcasm. Obviously he was pissed off with Buddy and something else. It's shocking to hear, as Jimi's stage patter was usually conspirational/friendly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.