Hendrix - Electric Lady Studios Box Set - MONTH DAY, 202?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Looks like a studio based set to me Eddie, I never did believe you tbh:D

EVOLVIST and jdthebrit1 like this.
  2. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

I’m assuming that’s the Blu-Ray disc, while the other “discs” are the sides of the 5 LP set.

905 likes this.
  3. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

thanks!

ok i see... so its an outtakes/alternate takes box set from the first rays sessions....

ummm.. i dont think i need a 5lp of this. The only songs i care about are "hey baby" "poli gap" "freedom" "drifting" "angel" and thats about it.

i'll probably just cherry pick those cuts on amazon mp3/spotify or something.

i dont think i will ever sit down and listen to 5 lps ever...or 4 cds for that matter.

i do appreciate experience hendrix making this available though...kudos.

a customer and Purple Jim like this.
  4. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Hopefully this will collect all of the last mixes Jimi supervised of all the songs. But three discs is still just scratching the surface. I’d also like all the basic tracks with vocals before the heavy handed guitar overdubs as well, plus alternate takes and jams. That could easily fill six cds or more.

A Band of Gypsies studio collection would also be most welcome.

5. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

I’m already making notes on what’s missing

But of course it’s pre-ordered already. The Experience Hendrix press release hopefully will come by the end of the week.

Hep Alien and dee like this.
  6. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I guess I’m in the minority that doesn’t understand the excitement about this release. RAH please.

a customer, supernaut, Sean and 6 others like this.
  7. Like the Hendrix Dagger Record releases there is the possibility these are uncut sessions with lots of interconnecting sonic wreckage seamlessly amongst/between songs and takes. Sonic nirvana.

parman likes this.
  8. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

It's Hendrix, so I'm in.

9. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

I'm assuming that's awesome "wreckage." :D:D:D

zphage likes this.
  10. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

i mean if there is a 10min version of hey baby i might breakdown and buy the vinyl :p

11. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Based on the limited information so far this could be GREAT or it could be so-so.

If it gives us all unreleased versions/mixes - that's GREAT. If it recycles tracks we've had for decades - umm...not so great.

However it could be a mix of both (for example) if say one of the disc is a comp of every one of Jimi's last mixes before he died. On the one hand that would be great but OTOH I wouldn't be thrilled with them repeating the previously released Jimi mixes we've had for decades on his posthumous albums/boxsets. I want this box to be ALL unreleased material!

If it IS all unreleased without them including any material previously released by EH, I'll be jumping for joy.

For some people only RAH or 'Black Gold' interests them, but for me this is (potentially) a wonderful box that might tick a lot of boxes as far as material I've personally wanted to hear forever (for instance hearing Angel and Drifting in Jimi's own mixes before the posthumous overdubs that we got on COL/FROTNRS - or anything with Buddy's original drums that Mitch replaced at Electric Lady Studio - I generally prefer Mitch to Buddy but some of those Mitch drum overdubs to replace Buddy on the posthumous albums are pretty dire).

This has the potential to be better than I'd hoped for. I was expecting that we would probably get another Purple Box/WCSB type career spanning box of studio and live tracks fairly soon (like last year - if not for covid, or this year or next year) and I would have actually been quite happy with that BUT (though we don't have enough details to know yet) this set has the potential to be FAR better than that.

I can't wait for the details :goodie:

Hep Alien, SG47, CassetteDek and 2 others like this.
  12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

this should be interesting...

Icenine1 and changeling69 like this.
  13. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

Pre ordered.

changeling69 likes this.
  14. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

That is really the key as to whether this release will reach its potential. If it contains alternate recordings and vintage alternate mixes, this release could be awesome.

15. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Could be really great. It might be early, but does anyone know how much of this has been on a legit release?

16. A Local Bloke

A Local Bloke Forum President

I hope they rerelease Jimi's mixes so as to have them unfutzed-with (As on TCOL and the other releases) and to have them all mastered the same for cohesion. Boy, this could be fantastic. Can't wait for the announcement.

Sean, supermd, JEM512 and 2 others like this.
  17. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

That is the big question. Presumably more information will be revealed about the track-listing soon.

sons of nothing likes this.
  18. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

I hope one of those tracks is the mythical medley mentioned in the Black Gold book.

19. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

Wow, alright!

20. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

Move over rover!

21. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Blu ray audio force bundled in the CD or LP sets. Just like ELL50 and Maui. No DVD option.

I'm thinking there is no new documentary, as there little to feature other than Kramer geeking out or Cox giving his warm laugh and staying on script. The 2011 CD/DVD bonus discs have an hour of Kramer yakking.

I think it's 20 songs in hi-Rez digital stereo AND surround. So 20 songs get listed twice. Instrumental jams with MM and Jimi don't need surround. If I'm dreaming the blu disc is the stuff we have already and the other discs are working mixes/alt takes that EH is sharing for the first.

The ELS and ELL50 titles are confusing. Unless EH figures they capture all their fans within the year for these vault box and move onto the next vault release. I'm sure someone's wife will complain and ask their husband to explain the difference.

Swansong, marcb and All Down The Line like this.
  22. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

Seems like we'll finally get to hear the 26-minute medley from June 24! :D
    Disc 1, track 10.

Sean, Smokin Chains, Pesus and 5 others like this.
  23. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Is the cd packaging like Groovy Children or ELL50?

24. Sis+erRay

Sis+erRay Forum Resident

On a side note, all unreleased Hendrix recordings on this or any other future releases are public domain in the EU.

25. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

This is true, but EH usually does a very nice job with these releases from a production stand point and they sell them usually at a reasonable price point so I dont think bootleggers would have much of a market for their release to gain traction over the official one. Of course if they had similar material in high quality and beat EH to releasing it that would be a different story.