Hendrix - Electric Lady Studios Box Set - MONTH DAY, 202?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Jan 4, 2022.

1. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Its NOT all of what they think is the most releasable.

..because they fully intend to release more from the sessions in the future.

They aren't going to waste any prime (ie equal quality to the best - or even the middling - stuff on the upcoming box) on Dagger. Is Dagger even a thing anymore for studio recordings? Have Dagger ever released a Hendrix proper multitrack studio recording that wasn't an instrumental jam?

...and they ARE counting on people to pay for more from these sessions - over the next 20 years or more.

Are you kidding? They are clearly aware of that! Which explains what they've been doing since their inception - as far as studio material goes anyway. They give us a release with 80% pretty good (though nowhere near great/top shelf) stuff, 20% truly great (how have they been sitting on this gem for so long?) stuff and 20% basically crap (but since its Jimi it still has *some* value to the hardcore fans).

How can anyone possibly STILL not see this after all this time? Its delusional to think that they have any intention of clearing the vaults when there's still money to be made (ie future record label deals to negotiate - for which strong material needs to be kept in the vault as leverage/bait to get the best financial deal possible).

As for "I'm sure anyone who'd bothered enough to grab the DL would be happy to pay for a physical copy"...well that's just not (perhaps ever) going to happen as clearing the vault in such a way means that everything would then already be released, meaning it would be worth far less to any record company interested in signing a distribution deal - meaning EH's asking price would need to drop considerably, without any "new" unreleased material remaining in the vault to exploit.

As for this release (in fact with ALL EH releases) I personally have pretty low expectations going in (as I always do for new Hendrix releases) and as a result I'm usually (more or less) happy with what we get.

For instance, I was never expecting a vault clearing exercise from this (or any) release. I was only hoping it would be better than the Electric Ladyland box (how could it possibly be worse?) and it does seem (even given the vagueness of the tracklisting we've seen so far) that it will be (perhaps a lot) better.

I am only hoping for one thing (but I know EH well enough by now not to count on it) and that one thing is that we get ALL of Jimi's remaining mixes from his last few days before leaving for his European tour (from which he would never return). Basically Jimi's "last word" about his final, never to be completed, album.

Even though I want them all, I'll only be truly disappointed if we get less that half with this box (as like I said - I fully understand what EH are doing. I don't like it - but I get it - and getting it lowers expectations and keeps disappointment to a minimum).

The only release that really made me go :wtf: was the Electric Ladyland box, as that release didn't even live up to my already low expectations of EH.

...but I'm still (fairly/somewhat) 0ptimistic about the upcoming box, as my expectations are that we get:

1 - only half of Jimi's remaining personal mixes prior to leaving for Europe (if we get them all, I'll be jumping for joy).

2 - one full disc's worth of "new stuff" (meaning along with the few tracks we know for sure will be new, alternate totally unreleased takes rather than just alternate overdubs/mixes of previously released takes). If its more than one discs worth of such truly unique totally unreleased recordings, I'll be jumping for joy.

Even if the box only meets those (fairly low) expectations, I'll consider it a success - as again, I totally "get" what EH does, so knowing that, its hard to be truly disappointed by what they release.

Again, I don't like it, but I get it...it is what it is...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
  2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The same 7/1/70 version issued on Rainbow Bridge and First Rays, only on WCSB it was coupled with Bolero. Now, EH is issuing it once again with Bolero, remixed, on this upcoming collection.

dee, Hep Alien and bluedemon25 like this.
  3. gpalz

gpalz Forum Resident

Looking forward to these additional takes as well. Always been fascinated by the song. Hear My Music has two early rhythm run throughs by Jimi alone in the studio in early 69. One on guitar and one on piano.

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

Hopefully we'll get the demo with Jimi on vocals/guitar and Billy Cox on bass. The best/longest take is close to five minutes.

Hep Alien, SG47, DTK and 1 other person like this.
  5. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

What you wrote was more in line with what I was expecting; I wasn't happy, but I didn't figure that the pre-release price guarantee applied.
    I was looking at the pre-order as a way to (try and) make sure that I was in line if the demand exceeded supply, a weird thing to ponder on RELEASE day, methinks, but 'welcome to the new world' where release days apparently mean 'may no longer be available already.' See Hard Luck Stories by R & L Thompson; I'd like to one day...

~dave~~wave~ likes this.
  6. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Right now, it's not available. Period!

It has been pulled from pre order ( twice) on Amazon.com. while there is a delay in the chain I don't see it coming back up just yet.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  7. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Thank you. I’ll keep a lookout but at least I can now stop wasting time.

Cheers,

Zafu

8. Gordon Johnson

Keep an eye out here, I'm sure someone will post as soon as it becomes available for order.

9. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Janie owns the songs and recordings after a big legal fight in mid 90's. Every 10 years or so she gets another $15-20mil(?) licensing term, the figures are rarely public.

Stringing fans along for decades is the business model and you decide how much you invest your time/money/emotion. As of now this could be one of the best non-Dagger studio comp releases from EH.

10. FangfossFlyer

FangfossFlyer Forum Resident

I was also really disappointed with the sound from my vinyl set which was well below par….. but, I still kept it!

11. moops

moops Senior Member

I occasionally visit this thread, admittedly I only read the last couple of pages ...... but I still can t work out if this thing is an actual legit release on the way, or some grey market boot thing ?

12. Off [literally]:
    Hey, no complaining, EH is giving us 120%!*

* by you're own 'estimation':
    80% pretty good stuff, 20% truly great stuff and 20% basic stuff.
    [edited/not the math though :p ]

13. It's an official "Experience Hendrix" release [when it gets released that is/ :laugh: ].

14. moops

moops Senior Member

Ok, thanks ....... I'll stay in touch then. :wave:

SinnerSaint likes this.
  15. With a March 25 release you can normally expect preorders to happen 6-8 weeks before that which should mean soon.
    Unless of course the dreaded vinyl production logjam has delayed the whole thing.
    It is a legit release.

Zafu and moops like this.
  16. Gordon Johnson

As has been posted, there is a delay in the release. So the March release date no longer holds.

Alan57, Zafu, moops and 1 other person like this.
  17. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

There is definitely a "creative management" problem at Experience Hendrix. Big time.

SG47, PacificOceanBlue and DTK like this.
  18. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

:yikes: D'oh! - I meant 60/20/20. Good catch!

SinnerSaint likes this.
  19. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I don't think so. The strength of releases like Hear My Music and Burning Desire is that we hear Jimi and fellow musicians just taking off into free-form improvisation. Jaw-dropping stuff. However, with this new release, it'll just be loose work-in-progress takes and working mixes/alternate mixes of songs that we have been listening to for decades already (which are interesting for about one play).

Peter F, Roberto899, kees1954 and 3 others like this.
  20. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Well except for the "long medley", I bet that one calls for repeated listening.

Purple Jim and kees1954 like this.
  21. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

Well, imo alternate versions/takes/mixes are always interesting! :D
    And that "long medley" has been a holy grail for me for 25 years or more...

22. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

Apologies if this was already posted upthread, but it looks like the revised release date may be 4/15/22.

I was able to preorder this from Bullmoose when the listing was live, and received an email this morning saying the release date has been pushed back to 4/15.

davies54, kees1954, crozcat and 7 others like this.
  23. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

If that's correct, Good Friday, perfect, just in time for Lent to be over! :wiggle:

tedhead, kees1954 and Electric Sydney like this.
  24. Gordon Johnson

Is this back up for pre order on Bullmoose? If not, then this may also turn out to be a false dawn!

Until EH / Sony make the announcement I'll remain a little sceptical regard that release date.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  25. Gordon Johnson

You could quite easily drop the "creative management" from that claim Jim!!

davies54 likes this.