Hendrix - Electric Lady Studios Box Set - MONTH DAY, 202?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Perhaps, but the sequencing seems a little dubious to me, particularly with "Astro Man" as the penultimate track before "Belly Button Window", not exactly a grand finale.

mando_dan and Purple Jim like this.
  2. Jon-A

Jon-A Forum Resident

Other than that, it's a pretty darn good sequencing if you divide the 20 tracks into 5 song album sides - so much so that I wondered if that's how they planned it. Just flip In From The Storm and Astro Man. Or maybe they have a dynamite Astro Man mix...?

Hep Alien and All Down The Line like this.
  3. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

We can hope that the success of the Get Back documentary/live performance will prompt him to treat RAH in a similar way. Imagine this on Netflix or Prime:
    Episode 1 - Footage from the pre-London European Tour
    Episode 2 - The RAH rehearsals, footage of the 18th February RAH show, bedroom jam scenes
    Episode 3 - The 24th February show and aftershow scenes (Speakeasy)

4. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

Sorry to hear. I'm fortunate enough to live where there are plenty of record stores. As such even for non RSD releases I usually don't order online I just go down to my local brick and mortar on release day and pick up a copy. Usually on release day and shortly thereafter the prices are at or very near the same ordering online so no issues there either. Only once haven't I been able to get what I wanted on release day and that was for Grateful Dead Workingmans Dead 50th Anniversary release never had a problem with a Jimi release on release day.

5. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

That minority is likely larger than you may imagine it to be!

kees1954 likes this.
  6. All Down The Line

Beat me to it!

oneway23 likes this.
  7. David67

David67 Forum Resident

Dagger Records ROW Store | Dagger Records UK

ARK, hodgo and E.Baba like this.
  8. All Down The Line

What is that 2nd last title all about?

9. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Oh……stop being so………. Spot On!
    :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2022
    Purple Jim and All Down The Line like this.
  10. mrlucky56

mrlucky56 Forum Resident

A Clarence Carter tune which Buddy Miles also recorded w/ his own band. There is a studio and live version of it.

Hep Alien, kees1954, dee and 3 others like this.
  11. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

Nice to see this. As others have said this could be really great or maybe not. Looking over the tracklist it seems this could have a lot of previously released stuff. Still, there seem to be some gems in there. I hope for the best, but it is Experience Hendrix. At times they do deliver the goods. Hopefully, this will be one of those times.

12. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I hate it too. I was just thinking it is the kind of event that could result in a vinyl pressing.

Deek57, hodgo and weavzy like this.
  13. All Down The Line

?

14. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

RSD, not Baggys Rehearsal.

All Down The Line likes this.
  15. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Going through Ultimate Hendrix and looks like discs 1-3 might be more or less chronological sessions highlights

Disc: 1
    1 Ezy Ryder - 6/15, guitar overdubs
    2 Valleys of Neptune - 6/15, Slow take with Winwood on electric piano
    3 Straight Ahead - 6/16, takes or 6/17, takes
    4 Drifter's Escape - 6/17, early takes
    5 Astro Man - 6/17 edit pieces or 6/24 takes
    6 Astro Man
    7 Drifting - 6/25, early takes
    8 Night Bird Flying - 6/16, early takes
    9 Farther Up the Road -
    10 The Long Medley: Astro Man / Beginnings / Hey Baby (New Rising Sun) / Midnight Lightning (Keep On Groovin') / Freedom - 6/24
    Disc: 2
    1 Earth Blues - 6/26, overdubs
    2 Dolly Dagger - 7/1, early takes
    3 Angel - Not sure
    4 Beginnings 7/1, early takes
    5 Lover Man - 7/20, early takes
    6 Tune X / Just Came In - 7/21, early takes
    7 Heaven Has No Sorrow - 6/26, takes
    8 Freedom - 6/25, early takes
    9 Valleys of Neptune - 6/26, early takes
    10 Come Down Hard On Me 7/14 or 7/15, early takes
    11 Dolly Dagger - 7/15, vocal and guitar overdubs
    12 Messing Around - 6/16, takes
    13 Tune X / Just Came In - 7/22, takes
    14 Drifting - 6/29, overdubs
    15 Freedom - 7/19, vocal and guitar overdubs
    16 Belly Button Window - 7/2, demos or 7/23 full band take
    Disc: 3
    1 Dolly Dagger
    2 Night Bird Flying
    3 Freedom
    4 Midnight Lightning / Beginnings - 7/1?
    5 Straight Ahead
    6 In From the Storm
    7 Bolero / Hey Baby (New Rising Sun)
    8 Drifter's Escape
    9 Astro Man
    10 Bleeding Heart
    11 Drifting
    12 Room Full of Mirrors
    13 Angel

For the last disc here, it could be any number of overdubs or mixing attempts.

All of this is pure guesswork, but I would not be surprised at all to see the tracklist in a sort of rough chronological order, with mostly unique mixes of finished or semi-finished tracks near the end.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
  16. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

As long as we dont get stupid pro tools and silly edits that do not make sense and its left as it was recorded it will be great!! Unfortunatly with EH's track record they will do something to piss us off and change things so we don't get the real deal :(

Roberto899, hodgo, jymy and 1 other person like this.
  17. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

The one mitigating factor is that combining takes of any sort in this context doesn't make sense (at least on the three CDs, we'll see about the Blu). For all of the ELL 50th's flaws (understatement), they didn't do any Frankensteining.

Editing of takes...fingers crossed any edits happen at the beginning or end.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  18. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Really warms my heart to see so many likes on my earlier post to let me know just how many fans love this era like I do. I'm really not alone!
    I had no idea LOL

Swansong, Lonson, iggyd and 9 others like this.
  19. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

They are the same mixes everywhere and they are always called ”single mix” even though they’re not, I’m assuming EH aren’t aware there’s a difference and that there are alternate mixes, or the original tapes are lost and they are pretending.

About a year ago the only one that was out of print was Live In Ottawa (which is the only one I’m missing, that one doesn’t even have a listing now), everything else was available, but now it seems most of them are sold out again, hope they come back.

Seems to be available here (but not in the Dagger shops, so could be a mistake): https://www.authentichendrix.com/product/Y4CDJI027/jimi-hendrix-the-baggys-rehearsal-sessions-dagger-records-cd

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
    Maurice and Electric Sydney like this.
  20. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Thanks. Ordered.

USPS doesn't send standard mail to AU so Priority has just cost me as much as the CD. Let's hope EH doesn't screw me around for the next year like last time they were the only source available.

I don't want to read any Americans complaining about their Media Mail after this.

21. dee

dee Senior Member

Today I took great joy listening to the 1st Rays 2LP set from start to finish. I did skip over "My Friend" though I do like that one.

I started to realize soon lol that these SONGS are in quite a few places in various states of recordings. I took a little time to scan through cd4 and cd3 of the Purple Box. Went to Both Sides next, then realized I had a lot more listening of this material to sort of get ready for this new set. And that's just these songs in the studio, not counting the concert releases. I'm thrilled with the prospect of hearing this new release. I am so looking forward to it. Between Dagger releases, VON, BSOTS, PHA, Purple Box, SSD, VC mixes, AND the 2LP 1st Rays, and all what I've missed referencing in the above, that said after these 3 more cd's, enough is never enough but fwiw I think I'll be pretty happy with the amount of studio material on vinyl and cd from this era. For a while. :);). At least for the majority of the actual songs, which begs for a mammoth list of available tracks and sources no matter what band is playing them.

Looking forward to this set.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
    Swansong and Hep Alien like this.
  22. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

I'm in no doubt we will be getting an RSD this year from EH. The questions I have are more, will it be tied into the box set and if so, will it contain material unique to the RSD pressing?

Most folk feel RSD has more than ran its course, even a number of retailers have expressed that sentiment. Some ruthless retailers are adding anything from £1 to £5 per title oboe the usual retail price. Then the retailers holding back for internet sales.

The overall pricing of this stuff is way too high, to the point I don't really bother outside of Hendrix. It's a nice earner for the industry but doesn't do the customer any favours.

E.Baba, weavzy and All Down The Line like this.
  23. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

True true.

24. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

I LOVE Jimi but this looks more like a history lesson than a consistently enjoyable listen. For those that go in for that sort of thing, good on ya.

mando_dan likes this.
  25. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

It's not for everyone I'll grab it because I love that period but I can't see it appealing to the masses.