Hendrix - Electric Lady Studios Box Set - MONTH DAY, 202?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Jan 4, 2022.

1. dee

dee Senior Member

All good so far :);)
    Consulting concert setlists during that time -"Hey Baby" - (I'm lookin' at you) can be helpful as well.

2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It isn’t just the omissions and overall incomplete and flawed track selection, there are way too many inferior posthumous mixes included in the First Rays line-up. The compilation is an adequate collection of material from CoL, RB, and WH, but it is far from being a comprehensive, historically accurate presentation of Hendrix’s final studio work that he intended to use to create his unrealized 1970 studio album.

3. dee

dee Senior Member

If you like some of disc 4 and even disc 3 of Purple Box and bits and piece of WCSB, at the right price this set might be just right for you.

J_D__, dryjoy and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  4. Jon-A

Jon-A Forum Resident

Yeah, I was just trying to make sense of the track selection, not make any wider judgements - and decided my comment wasn't all that coherent. So I deleted it.:)

5. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

THANKS!

Some comments/possible corrections:

*Stepping Stone (original 7”) - mix 700215 by Jimi/Bob Hughes
    *Izabella (original 7”) - mix 700212 by Jimi/Bob Hughes
    The mixes on Voodoo Child The Collection are so very similar that I think they were also mixed in February by Jimi/Bob Hughes

There’s also the vinyl only 7” b-side (to Somewhere, 2013):
    *Power Of Soul - mix 700203 by Jimi/Bob Hughes

*Dolly Dagger - final mix by Jimi/Eddie 700824
    *Straight Ahead - the released version could also have been (re-)mixed by Jimi/Eddie on 700822 or 700825 (according to Ultimate Hendrix), and I don’t think it is a final mix.

6. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

It's a pity they chose him to write the text for Creams 1997 Those Were The Days 4 CD Box.

footlooseman and DTK like this.
  7. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Limited, hmm you may have hit the nail on the head!

8. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

Well, I'm happy to make a public call. I think Janey's doing an absolutely brilliant job of keeping herself in the public eye. I'm especially fond of her refreshingly obtrusive 'thanks' comments in the credits sections of at least two booklets I've perused over the past few days. So good of her to acknowledge her god, and her four '-tin' kids. Love ya, Janey :righton:

9. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Probably, but there's nothing you or Jimi can do about that, thankfully. Any Jimi is worth having, in my opinion.

Jon-A, David67 and hodgo like this.
  10. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

A black Sharpie fixes those credits for me.

11. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

It’s MLK day and I’ve got my Target exclusive cd of People, Hell, and Angels with the bonus track MLK Jam - Captain Coconut ready to rip later today. Does any one know the story about where the upgraded version of this track (as compared with the version from Burning Desire) came from?

12. I have hard drives full of downloads and I also have a lot of Japanese bootlegs. I started tape trading almost 30 years ago and have been collecting these types of recordings for decades. Sometimes I just like to have a nice, well done physical product even if I already have the material on a hard drive. Why do you care what other people spend their own money on?

13. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Your post begs the question: why do you care what I post?
    Here’s the thing: I don’t care what others spend their money on. But, if I can save someone from giving their money to a crook, I’m more than happy to do so. Especially if the sound quality is potentially dodgy.

14. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

Upgrade?

DTK likes this.
  15. Well, it's a discussion forum. We all seem to care what others post otherwise it wouldn't be much of a discussion forum lol

16. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

Yeah but his $150 box might have STICKERS :righton::righton:

17. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

I Love my $150 complete Beatles BBC box! And how did you know about the stickers!? :D
    beave

18. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

Well, that's a first, my comment about an "import" being deleted.

19. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Buying/trading unofficial stuff since 1979, but very little Hendrix. As much as I love Jimi’s music, the official releases were enough, and I passed on quite a few of the Douglas-era albums.

I have all the big Hendrix boxes so far. Waiting for further information on whether this one will be worth it.

Brett44 likes this.
  20. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Does the liner notes say it's "upgraded"? First I've heard of it.

Deek57, bubba-ho-tep and noname74 like this.
  21. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

I actually like most of the Douglas era stuff. I did not when I first got into Hendrix, but I was young then. LOL.

Nowadays I find myself wanting to hear more finished work from Hendrix. I don't really get off on the 20 minute studio jams that sometimes seem to go nowhere. But, this era of Hendrix at the end is fascinating because of the what could have been thoughts.

SteveM, MikeInFla and misteranderson like this.
  22. debased

debased Senior Member

Me too. Maybe he's thinking of Crash Landing?

DTK likes this.
  23. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

News to me too, you'd think someone would've brought up in the past 8 years. We're that type of people. ;)

Deek57 and DTK like this.
  24. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Well I'm anxious now. FOMO big time! Could we have overlooked this for 8 years??

25. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I'm pretty sure its the same source and mastering.