Hendrix - Electric Lady Studios Box Set - MONTH DAY, 202?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Babysquid

Babysquid Forum Resident

From what I can see this isn’t really anything to do with the “Electric Ladyland” Lp but a collection of his material recorded at his “Electric Lady” studio. I’m pretty sure the studio wasn’t in use until after “Electric Ladylan

2. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

Yes nothing to do with Electric Ladyland at all. In fact this material is from a period about two years later, basically material recorded in late spring and summer of 1970 at Electric Lady Studios.

John DeAngelis, spindly, DTK and 3 others like this.
  3. A Local Bloke

A Local Bloke Forum President

Yep. He did the last and most focused sets of sessions at EL studios for his follow-up album he never finished.

DTK and dee like this.
  4. dee

dee Senior Member

That would be interesting and make pretty good sense too so that the 3CD release and the blu audio release would complement one another in theme and content and yet be exclusive of one another too.

5. dee

dee Senior Member

If you post your list, do you think you can post - 'official releases only' too - of any 1st Rays era material and versions that may otherwise not have been recorded at Electric Lady and fall outside part of the concept of this new set? Or something to that effect? I don't think it's 'fair game' to the artist that anything and everything post ELL and already on single BOG LP, be considered 'of the era' but perhaps for the fan it can be, as there wasn't a 'fully realized conceptual release' of all that material during the artist's lifetime.

This new set will hopefully give even more 'proof' as if there ever should need be that no Jimi Hendrix had not 'run out of quality songs' sincce his debut record, or Axis, or ELL, and that yes his guitar playing was as good if not better than it ever was,l.

I will have to get a few of the Dagger instrumental discs out, return to the Purple Box, and all the First Rays related material I have, official releases, to prep for this set.

Hep Alien and Dartman like this.
  6. dee

dee Senior Member

Gee I hope the mastering for cd isn't crap.
    With the repetition of some song titles and unknown 'results' of the alt takes etc, and some of those space-eater and heavy *** 4 and 5 LP sets, plus the price, the vinyl set is really not on my radar, but the cd and blu is a pre-order.

Aoide likes this.
  7. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Oh my, this is candy. This is actually a potential set we've been dreaming about here. Maybe they are monitoring us. Pre-ordered!

8. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

The only thing on there not on the EH box set is the bass jam on Pearly Queen with Stevie Winwood from June 15, 1970. Not essential imo.

9. Jon-A

Jon-A Forum Resident

Right. And the 4th (blu) disc has non-Electric Lady Studio tracks (My Friend, Earth Blues, Stepping Stone...) - so it looks more like a 'Fourth Album' compilation, with material appearing on Cry Of Love/Rainbow Bridge/War Heroes. While discs 1-3 are all recorded at Electric Lady. Yeah?

Note: I think the basic tracks of some of those discs 1-3 tunes were recorded pre-Electric Lady, but substantial overdubbing occurred there.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
  10. dryjoy

dryjoy Brother In Sound

If it’s what it appears to be, this looks to be a very exciting release. Could be really along the lines of what a lot of us on the forum here have been hoping for. I’m keen to see more details of exactly what is on this set, but very likely will be pre-ordering.

Natural E, Christopher B and dee like this.
  11. General:

Really enjoy the sound of Electric Lady Studios cuts on "West Coast Seattle Boy" [along w/Olympic]. IMO mastering was OK, less compressed than other EH releases of the day [2010].

George Marino mastered "WCSB", maybe Bernie can add the bit richer [in direct comparison on CD] "Cry of Love"/"Rainbow Bridge" sonics to this release.

Others here at SHMF didn't seem as impressed w/the Electric Lady Studios cuts. Hopefully mastering is improved [less digital glare & more crankable].

12. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Link directs me to a Hendrix book on Amazon UK! No pre-order link yet over here, sadly...

Tempting to try the Amazon US preorder, but ordering from there adds nearly £12 VAT to the order, and that's before any customs charges come into it - definitely waiting for UK pricing to come through first.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    dryjoy and ILovethebassclarinet like this.
  13. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

When I recently pre-ordered the Beau Brummels box, it was hard to ignore that the 'best price pre-release' dropped by $30 almost immediately after release... that may have 'cured' me of doing that on most releases.

parman and Doggiedogma like this.
  14. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

What's Pride Of Man?

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  15. dryjoy

dryjoy Brother In Sound

Yep, same here!

16. All Down The Line

Did they play anything else together on that day?

17. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Looks to me much of this is what we already have on bootlegs, alternate takes and a lot of studio jamming.

18. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

That should be Bolero, Jimi gave it the name Pride of Man

19. Jon-A

Jon-A Forum Resident

Ultimate Hendrix mentions a 'slow, soulful rendition of Valleys Of Neptune' by Hendrix and Winwood; a 'wild, free-form jazz jam' by Wood and Hendrix that takes up a whole reel of tape; and more jams, including Winwood on a 'free-form effort entitled Slow Blues'...('recording is raw - just room microphones set up in a rush').

ARK, parman, Hep Alien and 3 others like this.
  20. All Down The Line

Love to hear any of them, especially in full.
    Edit: So Chris Wood was there too on flute?

ARK, parman and ILovethebassclarinet like this.
  21. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Most but not all and the BR disc is open for speculation.

On the plus side, official at long last. Better mastering, better vinyl pressings [at least we know for the US from QRP, depends on who presses the EU].

Wonder how much time they spent on the information side of things?

Deek57, dee and All Down The Line like this.
  22. tcbtcb

tcbtcb Forum Resident

WHAT?? I am SO INNNN :pineapple:

DTK likes this.
  23. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

WOW!!!!

I'm in for this for sure!

pool_of_tears, dee and DTK like this.
  24. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yes a rough demo of Valleys of Neptune that appears to be on the box.
    And a 20 mim jam with Chris Wood on sax (known as "Jam Thing") that I love, it's not on the tracklist.

25. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Very excited about this - especially if the Blu-Ray contains a surround mix.

kanakaris, supermd, marcb and 2 others like this.