Hendrix - Electric Lady Studios Box Set - MONTH DAY, 202?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Jan 4, 2022.

1. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

Only if they're vintage mixes. If they were mixed in 2021 and therefore a new creation, that's when they're copyrighted.

john lennonist, hodgo and dee like this.
  2. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

what??!?!? oh god, theres me thinking i dont need anymore Hendrix.. i need this

3. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

ARK and ILovethebassclarinet like this.
  4. Sis+erRay

Sis+erRay Forum Resident

No, a new mix doesn't lead to a copyright renewal of public domain recordings because the recording is what matters. And any unreleased recording is public domain after 50 years. The only possibility of de facto-protecting these kind of recordings I can think of would be (re-)recording one or several instruments (or vocals) and mix them into the newly released master so the new recording can't be separated from the old one except for small bits.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    ARK and dee like this.
  5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

It seems disc 4 is the bluray, and appears like 20 tracks, stereo and surround.... that's normally why amazon double them like that.... that will be a buy from me.

zobalob, Tristero, dee and 1 other person like this.
  6. shakti

shakti Senior Member

I am so in. If disc 4 is indeed a surround mix of a 4th studio album mock-up, then this is a dream come true. Even if “only” high-res stereo then still an awesome set.

7. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Pray to the audiophile Gods that this set isn't brickwalled like the Electric Ladyland set was!

andrewskyDE likes this.
  8. MARTHY

MARTHY Forum Resident

For all of you who pre-ordered... the link that was originally posted at the beginning of this thread is no longer there. Can someone post the new, current link to this box set?

905 likes this.
  9. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

10. John D.

John D. Senior Member

11. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

I'm confused. What are you looking for?

12. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

13. FillmoreGuy

FillmoreGuy Forum Resident

Another cash grab for Hendrix completists. I really doubt Jimi would want this stuff released.

john lennonist and pinkrudy like this.
  14. dryjoy

dryjoy Brother In Sound

Undoubtedly, but I’m very glad it is.

15. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

I think he would be honoured and humbled there is still a demand for his creative output.

Im pumped for this release.

16. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

Excellent point. I'm sure Jimi would have not wanted it released in 1970 or 1971, but who knows, lots of artists from that era are now revisiting their archives and putting things like this out. What is amazing, though not surprising, is the amount of material he recorded at Electric Lady in just a few months. Hendrix's death was the paramount tragedy, but that he only was able to record in his studio for that short period is heartbreaking.

parman, Who'sTommy, kees1954 and 6 others like this.
  17. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Jimi was adamant that session reels we not reused, even "goes nowhere" off-night studio jams, and did so at considerable personal expense. He didn't go the Stanley Kubrick route and junk outtakes and deleted scenes.

Given his MM Black Gold gift and pessimistic comments to press and final poem maybe he knew he the walls were closing in.

The further irony is he did RAH as a full film theatrical release and that one of the few things that has yet to come out!!!!

18. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

Hep Alien, dee, 905 and 1 other person like this.
  19. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

You can say that about 100% of what's been released since he died.

But he's not here to dictate is he? He's not here to put out new material is he?

It is what it is. Bring it on.

davies54, David67 and 905 like this.
  20. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

The question I always ponder is has the stuff released hirt Jimis legacy or enhanced it?

For me so much of my all time favourite Hendrix material is stuff that was released posthumously. In fact its that material that actually made me a fan because for whatever reason the three studio albums didnt initially do much for me. Thats changed now of course, but perhaps if not for the posthumous material I may never have comeback to the three studio albums and may have missed out on the Hendrix thing entirely. So if its a cash grab then I gladly allow my cash to be grabbed, lord knows i spend a lot more on things that give me a whole lot less.

21. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Me too.

22. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

We're all going to see these posthumous releases through different personal filters. My filters dictate that I be in for every official release of Hendrix vault material. I haven't been disappointed by any of them and I have them all the way back to South Saturn Delta. I instantly pre-ordered this set yesterday.

23. John D.

John D. Senior Member

All that I am saying is the original amazon link that no longer works, initially had a price of $88 for the vinyl box. This morning it was showing $109, as of now the links have been pulled.

24. Dartman

Dartman Stones Fan

My pre order still shows on my orders with the same price as yesterday. Release date of March 25.

905 likes this.
  25. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It is safe to concluded that Hendrix would not have wanted the majority of posthumous product released over the past 50 years. But he is an enormously vital historical figure and therefore his archival material is important. This release, in particular, is significant because it should shed additional light into his creative process during his final months as a recording artist. Not sure if this one looks like the cash grab others have arguably been.