Hendrix - Electric Lady Studios Box Set - MONTH DAY, 202?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Jon-A

Jon-A Forum Resident

Yes. Every new release is met with a small chorus of, ' But Jimi wouldn't have wanted this released'. Yeah, well, he didn't like the covers, and had some issues with the final mixes, of Axis and Electric Ladyland; he never would have released Band Of Gypsys if not pushed by lawyers; and he sounded a bit bemused by the some of the songwriting on Are You Experienced in one of his later interviews...

So what, exactly - as we fondle our 'What Would Jimi Do?' bracelets - should we listen to? Me, I'll take a wider view that posterity demands that his genius, rudely interrupted as it was, receives the widest dissemination possible. :agree:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
  2. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

i can't find it on amazon now....did it disappear??

905 likes this.
  3. MARTHY

MARTHY Forum Resident

Indeed. The Amazon link that is posted at the start of this thread is broken. The page on Amazon no longer appears.
    Those who have preordered, can you now re-post the link to the item page?
    Thank you.

mark renard likes this.
  4. MARTHY

MARTHY Forum Resident

Every artist who has passed, his or her estate is releasing whatever they can in the artist's name. Would George Harrison really wanted small, physical gnomes released with his All Things Must Pass 50th Anniversary box set? How about the aud nauseum of material coming forth from the David Bowie estate? I could go on....

5. Aoide

Aoide Forum Resident

I'm very much on the fence about this. If the audio is at all respected like the recent Analogue Productions releases and Bernie Grundman mastered SACDs, I will be very excited. If the audio of these titles (many of which have been released dozens of times before) is slammed like most every other EH release, I just don't care.
    I remain hopeful and excited about the prospect of great sounding, consistently mastered music from this period all available in one package, but I'm also not holding my breath.

Taxman likes this.
  6. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Experience Hendrix vinyl is almost never slammed. The most recent multi-LP box set from EH - the Songs for Groovy Children 8 LP box - is a poster child for audiophile values and quality record pressing.

7. Aoide

Aoide Forum Resident

My reference is the digital realm. That's great to hear though.

8. TheRunoutMatrix

TheRunoutMatrix I'm sticking with you, cause I'm made out of glue.

The photo of the vinyl set someone posted on page one immediately made me think that the individual album covers look very much like the ones from Groovy Children. Almost identical, at least from what I can tell with the small size of the image, with the photos, colour scheme, and positioning of the titles.

Here's the cd packaging:

[​IMG]

9. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Well this might contain tracks far closer to his vision/intentions (and that therefore he may have been LESS opposed to being released) than those previously released on posthumous albums going all the way back to his first one 'Cry Of Love' in 1971.

Shortly before he died he undertook a marathon set of mixing sessions (some marked as being final mixes - most not) to gauge his progress on the album he had nearly completed, with final work to complete the album to resume after his upcoming EU tour - from which he ultimately never returned.

There were about a couple dozen songs mixed by Jimi in those final mixing sessions of his lifetime - in the past 50 years we got about half of them. We got all the songs, but the other half were posthumous mixes (and a few of those had posthumous overdubs).

At least two for sure - 'Drifting' with a posthumous Vibraphone overdub and 'Angel' with a posthumous drums overdub.

Beyond that Jimi in the weeks prior to his death did a lot of overdubbing to improve tracks recorded several months earlier with a different drummer for inclusion on his new album. Some of these tracks also had the drums erased and replaced (badly/sloppily) by his regular drummer.

The question is were those replacements done while Jimi was alive and under his supervision, or were they done posthumously? That drummer who did the overdubs was part of the production team (making production decisions) who worked on Jimi's early posthumous albums immediately after his death - so were those overdub/replacements of the drum tracks Jimi's idea, or his? We MAY find out if Jimi's final mixes of those tracks include the original - erased - drums rather than the replacement drums.

For me the mixes Jimi created are 'holy grail' stuff (as they are the closest we can ever hope to get to what his final album would have been had he lived to complete it).

At this point that is only speculation that we are to get all of Jimi's unreleased last mixing session tracks on this upcoming box, but the box's title seems to imply it:

"Electric Lady Studios: A Jimi Hendrix Vision"

10. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

Yes, you can still pre-0rder if you saved it in your wish list.

905 likes this.
  11. You beat me to it. This release has the potential to be in the top five greatest posthumous Hendrix releases. Considering how many we've had so far that would really be something.

To have all the prospective material for his next album, all in one place in great sound, would be very welcome even when I already have the majority of it in numerous other releases.

12. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Steve Winwood and Chris Wood first did backing vocals on Ezy Rider before the session took off.

I've also seen some listings credit a 10 minute session for the song Izabella as being with Winwood on this date although it's also been attributed to an earlier date as well (and without Winwood.)

ARK, All Down The Line and dee like this.
  13. A Local Bloke

A Local Bloke Forum President

I figure I might as well make a list of the mixes of his we've gotten so far that have come out of these sessions and those a little earlier in 1970. Let me know if I'm missing anything.

August 20:
    - Dolly Dagger (RB)
    - Room Full Of Mirrors (RB)
    - Straight Ahead (TCOL)
    - In From The Storm (WCSB)

August 22:
    - Ezy Ryder (TCOL)
    - Message To Love (WSCB)
    - Power Of Soul (BSOTS)
    - Drifter's Escape (SSD)
    - Earth Blues (TJHE)
    - Come Down Hard On Me (TJHE)
    - Astro Man (TCOL)
    - Night Bird Flying (TJHE)

August 24:

- Belly Button Window (TCOL)
    - Freedom (TCOL)
    - Night Bird Flying (TCOL)

Other:
    - Ezy Ryder - Jun 15
    - Stepping Stone (1970 Single) - Mar 1970
    - Izabella (1970 Single) - Mar 1970
    - Power Of Soul (Somewhere Single)- Jan 1970
    - Play That Riff (WCSB)- Jul 19

Adapted from @PacificOceanBlue 's list in my first thread.

Do we know which mixes were finished according to Jimi himself? Do the tape boxes say?

Also, which mixes made in these sessions are we missing?

Hep Alien, Jon H., ron p and 8 others like this.
  14. supermd

supermd Senior Member

15. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

Well what do u know. I stay away from these forums for a couple of days and boom the motherload drops!

Nice

16. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

How much was the preorder price on the 3CD/Blu-ray set before it got pulled? I'm very excited for surround mixes of First Rays material.

17. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I saved both links in my wish list and neither one of them works.

frightwigwam likes this.
  18. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

Currently listed as unobtanium.

frightwigwam likes this.
  19. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

Oh, bummer!

20. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

$49.98

21. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Can't find this anywhere, link is broken.

22. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

The link will return and we will all be able to order. Amazon apparently jumped the gun. I'm sure all retailers will have it up to order soon enough.

ARK, frightwigwam and 905 like this.
  23. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

I think EH usually does friday announcements

ARK and A Local Bloke like this.
  24. A Local Bloke

A Local Bloke Forum President

Sure hope so!

ARK and bluedemon25 like this.
  25. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Yes, they do seem to love those. I hope this isn’t like ELL50 (in many ways) wheee the Imwan leak is a month before the official announcement. Hopefully it’s more like BSOTS where the announcement was in December(!) for a March release.

bluedemon25 likes this.