Hendrix - Electric Lady Studios Box Set - MONTH DAY, 202?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Jan 4, 2022.

1. davies54

davies54 Forum Resident

Looking forward to this ,hoping the release date isn't too far away

bluedemon25 likes this.
  2. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

"Electric Ladyland - A Jimi Hendrix Vision"
    In fact it was Eddie Kramer's vision. Mike Jeffrey initially wanted to simply build a little recording booth in the corner of a refurbished Generation Club to record jams and various band's performances. It was Kramer who suggested that it would be better (and more lucrative) to forget the night club idea and build a full-blown, state-of-the-art recording studio. It then became a Jeffrey/Hendrix vision as they went into partnership to finance it. Kramer oversaw the equipment installations.

3. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether this is all officially unreleased material, or is it a combination of both officially released and unreleased music.

Hep Alien and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  4. dryjoy

dryjoy Brother In Sound

Hard to say from song titles alone. Personally, I’ll be pleasantly surprised if (excluding the blue ray) it is all previously officially unreleased.

hodgo likes this.
  5. Did the preorder links all go down? Can’t seem to get back to Amazon order page?

905 likes this.
  6. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

I'd be stunned if it wasn't a combination. The earlier material on the set is likely unreleased but toward the end and possibly on the Blu-ray, those will probably have made it out in some form.

7. John Harchar

Down for now.

905 and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  8. hodgo

I'm wondering four things things.....
    • 1. Is it likely that this will include any of the takes from "First Rays".
    • 2. What is likely to be on the BD and is it going to be additional material not included on the first 3 discs.
    • 3. Will this include any of the Band of Gypsys versions or those overdubbed/recorded by Mitch and Jimi.
    • 4. If no BOG versions are they likely to be saved for a separate BOG Studio box.

Hep Alien and All Down The Line like this.
  9. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Perfect for streaming...:righton:

10. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

We should know soon enough. I agree that based on the history of the 1971 era Kramer/Jansen mixes being issued countless times over the past 50 years that they will again find their way onto this collection, but it would seem somewhat odd to sequence those mixes alongside what appears to be an in-depth collection of session outtakes.

11. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

All great questions. I do like the idea of a Band Of Gypsys studio box.

Lownote30, ARK, Christopher B and 4 others like this.
  12. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Right, like Elvis ;)

No interest to buy this one!

FillmoreGuy likes this.
  13. hodgo

I've been hoping for one for years.

Even if they have released most of it already, rather than spread out over multiple compilations I'd still like to see one that brings it all together in one place.

14. hodgo

I don't do streaming and for Jimi I also don't do CD's, it's vinyl all the way for me with him.

J_D__, parman, Easy-E and 5 others like this.
  15. Jim Duckworth

Jim Duckworth I can't lose with the stuff I use.

I am hoping that one of the three Room Full of Mirrors is the original take with Buddy Miles's drums intact.

16. John Harchar

I’d suspect that would go on an aforementioned BoG box since the original was done in November. Any version on here would contain overdubs done at Electric Lady.

wildstar likes this.
  17. hodgo

That would answer one of my questions and I hope you turn out to be correct. John, just to clarify, do you think this set will only have those tracks that Jimi, Mitch & Billy recorded/overdubbed, and do you think there will be a separate BOG box?

All Down The Line likes this.
  18. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

Having been a customer for some years, it's pretty clear that they oppose 'on-topic search results.' At one time, when the "Advanced Search" allowed the customer to add additional fields like record company and keyword, a much higher % were relevant, and apparently they didn't like that; I've written numerous times about it to low-level employees, most of whom seemed to be too new to readily understand what I was even describing when I mentioned "Advance Search." You would THINK that someone actually interested in selling would comprehend the value of accurate searches of what they're selling...

19. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

As I'm not privy to any financial numbers with regard to expenses vs. revenue, etc., I'm not going there. "Getting paid for working" is a concept that I do support, even if the 'work' is preparing Jimi music for the public that's interested.

20. Agerst1574

Agerst1574 Forum Resident

I need more information on this if I am expected to spend 80 plus bucks on this.

Christopher B likes this.
  21. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

This hasnt been announced yet. We only know about it because of some early amazon links for the presales that were since taken down. Rest assured a good deal more information will become available with a proper press release and most likely a number of preview tracks and promotional videos in the upcoming 2.5 months until release.

ARK likes this.
  22. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

I'm happy for this set that appears to present the material chronologically. I had hoped that when the distribution deal switched from MCA to Sony that EH would have deleted all of the posthumous studio releases and started over, with these types of collections (which could also be distilled to single CD/LP "albums" for the casual buyer).

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  23. bluedemon25

bluedemon25 Me, I'm Just A Lawnmower

I only see one item on the list for Bolero. I love that tune. I'm not an expert. Can someone who is advise? I thought there were multiple takes of Bolero attempted such as is seen in the Studio 70 boots. Any idea what to expect for this appearance on this product. I had hoped to collect all of them officially somewhere.

Also, is the bolero seque into NRS like on WCSB something we know Jimi intended or does it just sound like they mesh well at least to my ears from the WCSB sequence?

Thanks in advance

24. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I think majority of it will be outtakes and mix/edit variations released for the first time by EH. Hope all the Jimi mixes from last few weeks of his life are in one place.

Hep Alien, hodgo and crozcat like this.
  25. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Imwan said this.

Looks like we jumped the gun on Sony and they didn't want this to be out there yet. The listing pages at Amazon have been pulled. They'll be back, so hold onto your pre-orders and we'll watch and wait.

WarEagleRK, Shvartze Shabbos and 905 like this.