Hendrix - Electric Lady Studios Box Set - MONTH DAY, 202?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Jan 4, 2022.

1. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

As was the Curtis Knight live album. It's to taunt me when I give up music purchases for Lent. :D

DTK and A Local Bloke like this.
  2. John Harchar

Too bad there's not a release where something like that would fit in...

DTK likes this.
  3. A Local Bloke

A Local Bloke Forum President

I've already done this using croz's lists, I can post the tracklists if you'd like. I think it's the most accurate way to listen to his 1969 material, as compiled albums never really do the trick. He really wasn't making very commercial stuff then.
    An essential thread if there ever was one. Thank you so much for it, it's been so helpful. Also your Axis/ELL one.
    Funny enough I have an interview today. Not with EH though!

Yep that was Loose Ends. Silly me.

shadlet, Library Eye and dee like this.
  4. dee

dee Senior Member

It's a long fade there on DD isn't it. I thought of catching "Pali Gap" past the three minute mark, to sort of re-emerge from silence as a fade-up coda, but haven't tried it. It's got amazing guitar tone and playing throughout.

5. John Harchar

It doesn't quite match up due to the missing section. I did however create a "patch" of sorts on my on my First Rays creations: Start with New Rising Sun and before the drums kick in, crossfade into Dolly Dagger. Then right as it fades down, crossfade into Nightbird Flying, then as that fades down, cross into Pali Gap (my custom mix of the RB open into the Voodoo Soup version with the nicer mix and full ending. See it's good for something! :D)

dee likes this.
  6. dee

dee Senior Member

What about Ezy Ryder.
    The mix on 1st Rays seemw so busy and claustrophobic, with the vocals set back so far? I prefer the Purple Box version by a relatively wide margin, though it does end noticeably sooner.

7. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

Best to just not listen to the First Rays CDs. I liked the concept of First Rays and I find it enjoyable on vinyl but it was one of the biggest disappointments for CD releases EH has ever done imo and the CD rerelease in 2010 was barely improved at all.

dee likes this.
  8. A Local Bloke

Listen to the Cry Of Love version. Same mix but far better mastering

9. dee

dee Senior Member

Will have to get the vinyl out :D

A Local Bloke likes this.
  10. A Local Bloke

The 2014 CD is superb and I've heard the old 80s or 90s CDs aren't bad either

DTK, All Down The Line and dee like this.
  11. dryjoy

dryjoy Brother In Sound

I enjoy the Purple Box version for a change, but the guitar overdubs on that are pretty scruffy compared to those on the final mix as issued on Cry of Love and First Rays. As mentioned above, the mastering of FR may be to the songs detriment.

dee likes this.
  12. dee

dee Senior Member

I love the tone of that stinging :) lead guitar though on the box track :). I like that there's a little more air and space in the mix. I suppose it is due to it not having as many overdubs? All good.

13. dryjoy

dryjoy Brother In Sound

So the ideal mix might be using some but not all of the overdubs from the final version?!

There are a lot of layers on there, I’m sure a convincing mix with some more space but with the vibe of the CoL version would be possible.

dee likes this.
  14. dee

dee Senior Member

Yes. I have a RL copy of CoL and will give the song a listen again. No doubt it will sound better to me than the 1st Rays cd and I listen to that CoL LP in full when I do.

Yes, yet a mix is a mix and it's hard to wrap my ears around the quite recessed vocals and the sort of chaotic, multi-layered tracks surrounding it...

15. A Local Bloke

Like @EVOLVIST I just want Jimi's final mixes with unintrusive mastering.

16. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Yes I have an early 90's COL CD which sounds great to my ears so never bought the lauded 2014 however First Ray's is lamentable.

17. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Get Rainbow Bridge if you don't already have it.

jhm, Purple Jim and All Down The Line like this.
  18. A Local Bloke

Does anyone know why Rainbow Bridge was so shunned from reissues? Was it because it had the legal baggage of a soundtrack album?

19. dryjoy

dryjoy Brother In Sound

I do like the final mix of Ezy Rider, and don’t prefer any other version over it, but I do get what you mean. It is pretty busy and a bit chaotic.

dee and A Local Bloke like this.
  20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Alan Douglas didn't consider it to be a worthy album (he fool). He also didn't reissue Cry Of Love, favouring his own compilation Voodoo Soup (the fool). The Janie & Co. got a marketing idea and compiled that First Rays thing (the fools).

21. A Local Bloke

But there is an old COL CD so he definitely released it. Same with War Heroes and Loose Ends.

DTK likes this.
  22. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Cry of Love and everything else was reissued on CD during the Douglas regime.
    I recall it had something to do with Rainbow Bridge being a soundtrack album. But RB was reissued on LP and cassette in the late 80s/early 90s. I recall seeing the cassette tape in a HMV store in the early 90s. But no CD...

Last edited: May 14, 2022
  23. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I sit corrected!

DTK and A Local Bloke like this.
  24. John Harchar

Of course we here in the states had been without RB, WH and In the West since 1975. At least Cry of Love survived until the MCA switch. When Douglas yanked them, he said the best of those tracks would be reissued. The only things that made it back out were Dolly, Room, Stepping and Izabella on Essential (oddly enough the two songs pulled from CoL and the two pulled from RB), then nothing until the digital era.

25. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Yes, there was a Reprise cassette of Rainbow Bridge, German issue. I had one, years ago.
    Jimi Hendrix - Rainbow Bridge - Original Motion Picture Sound Track