Hendrix - Electric Lady Studios Box Set - MONTH DAY, 202?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Jan 4, 2022.

1. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

The 2014 Rainbow Bridge CD reissue was a bit of a miracle. No revisionism, compression or any other fooling around.

Excellence all around.

2. Off:
    If "no revisionism" refers to no changes to the original LP release, that's factual, however "Room Full of Mirrors" & "Earth Blues" Mitchell overdubbed the drumming of Buddy Miles on the master tapes.
    IMO there is "compression"; though nowhere near being 'brickwalled' let alone 'earbleeding'.
    "Excellent" is tough because "RL" [Robert 'Bob' Ludwig] mastered the original Reprise wax [nothing personal/just my 2¢]. Sure wish the R2R wasn't an anemic 3 3/4 ips!

Supported EH & Bernie issuing the CD & enjoy the SQ of the CD [especially in direct comparison to other 21st Century EH CDs/'crankablity' is limited on my systems with my ears].

The compression gives the album a 'full' [boarding on 'rich'] SQ IMO & would rate it as a very good sounding Modern Mastered ceedee.
    Also enjoy Bernie's "CoL" & find the SQ similar; personally preference is for the 1st Reprise mastered by Lee Herschberg.
    DRD - for objective comparison only:
    Album list - Dynamic Range DB
    with the P33P Japanese Polydor an interesting option.

2014 "Cry of Love" & "Rainbow Bridge" ceedees were definitely worthwhile endeavors by EH.

To get back on-topic would hope the proposed box set would have similar SQ [enjoy the "WCSB" box set SQ/not magical just decent digital].

3. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

A novel post I'm sure, but back to topic!

One of the fascinating points of this phantom announcement was that EH have not or at least not since Sony stepped in, released anything new [not a re-issue of the usual material or material that first saw issue with MCS / Universal] pre July with the exception of the Curtis Knight material [March or April], Valleys of Neptune , People Hell and Angels and Both Sides of the Sky [the trilogy was all March]! Some of this material was simply tied into RSD, like Clark University [April] yet there is no sign of any "big" multiple set / box sets slated for release before November!!
    Groovy Children - December
    Ladyland 50th - December
    Machine Gun - September
    Miami Pop - November
    In The West - September
    Winterland - September
    WCSB - November

Of course, go back far enough and we always fine an exception! Fillmore East [EH/MCA] - February
    Even the original Purple box set was - September, while IOW was - July

So, maybe the reason for the delay / non-delay is more simple than thought? Or is it?

dee, kees1954, Purple Jim and 3 others like this.
  4. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Wouldn’t it be someone’s 80th birthday this November?

5. A Local Bloke

A Local Bloke Forum President

Room Full Of Mirrors is an August 1970 mix, so no revisionism there.

melkor_morgoth, SinnerSaint and DTK like this.
  6. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Couldn't the release delay (or the early non-announcement) be due to production plant issues? I got a friend's band who has had his release at the pressing plants since last June (almost a year ago) and it still won't be out for another few weeks.

7. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

And a very unexpected bonus, a longer fade on Room Full Of Mirrors. Not available anywhere else.

8. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It seems to be a problem for many artists, so perhaps.

9. Gordon Johnson

A lot really depends on the artist to a degree. Are you measuring Hendrix as equal (as in marketing clout) as your friends band?

DTK likes this.
  10. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Don't be silly. I'm just saying there is a year long wait at pressing plants for some releases. This could be one of them.

Of course you probably know, but don't want to tell anyone the big secret. And since you're not sharing, we have to speculate. That is my speculation.

Last edited: May 14, 2022
    Anthrax likes this.
  11. Gordon Johnson

It's a point already speculated on.

As for that suggestion of vinyl delay, is it a European plant delay or a US plant delay? Or maybe both!

And I still don't quite see any correlation in your post, sorry.

12. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

Actually Room Full Of Mirrors is a bit longer than original release on the 2014 CD. I would consider that good revisionism however.

13. Sis+erRay

Sis+erRay Forum Resident

Of course he doesn't know. He just speculates and pretends to know.

#nolegalreason
    #aaa

weavzy likes this.
  14. hulloder72

hulloder72 Forum Resident

But is this box coming out? when and how can it be purchased?

15. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

So far zero response from Eddie Kramer. It seems he rarely uses Twitter anyway

jhm likes this.
  16. dryjoy

dryjoy Brother In Sound

It can’t currently be purchased and no one knows when or if it is coming out.

hulloder72 likes this.
  17. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Yes. My father's!

905 and pool_of_tears like this.
  18. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

Correct, and anyone who dismisses the album on the basis of having heard only CD versions really ought to get with the programme and re-vinyl themselves.

hodgo likes this.
  19. gpalz

gpalz Forum Resident

20. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

21. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

That’s what @nikosvault was referring to :)

22. That moment when you open yet another email from Authentic Hendrix and it's an ad for another **** ing t-shirt. :laugh:

23. Gordon Johnson

Rather than sitting back [and whining about what's being posted and by whom] I was a little more proactive over the last few weeks in looking for any update on this set.

Nothing until a few whispers crossing the Atlantic very, very recently.

Of course, you can dismiss this if you wish, remember no one is forcing you to accept anything that may be informative to you.

End of year is the target, so MY ASSUMPTION would be a Black Friday release tied in with the box set around that time or a little later.

I can see the Santa lists being written now :)

hoggydoggy, Deek57, Alan57 and 10 others like this.
  24. dryjoy

dryjoy Brother In Sound

That would make a lot of sense. Sounds very plausible to me. It would certainly make a great Xmas present for yours truly.

jhm and weavzy like this.
  25. dee

dee Senior Member

Best Represent! ;)
    No use hiding the master in one's collection ;)