Hendrix - Electric Lady Studios Box Set - MONTH DAY, 202?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

And this is what happens when some collectors get hold of material.

Let it be a warning.

DTK likes this.
  2. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

I'll save you the trouble, Gord :agree: Both Jimpress issues 118 and 119 are the editions with the discussions about discrepancies in the tapes associated with Band of Gypsys, and the specific issue with the vinyl review is 119.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  3. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

What do you mean Gordo?

EH will buy it off you and never release it?

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  4. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Thanks Frank, will scrape some change together to order it.

frank3si likes this.
  5. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

Eddie Webb is a collector? Doesn’t look like it by his FB

6. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

Webb was the guy who hit "record" on his deck all those years ago. Here's hoping we hear it one day.

7. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

More lawsuit fun... Looks like this is the crux of the case: "Simon Malynicz KC, for Redding and Mitchell, told the court the releases did not give the musicians’ rights away and only related to revenue generated by the vinyl recordings, which does not include digital income including from streaming, YouTube and other digital platforms."

https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/news/s...mi-hendrix-experience-estates/5115553.article

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
  8. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

I cant work how this is holding up the box set. Noel wont be on it, but EH release LA69, which he is on.

Out of the two titles, it would make more sense that LA69 be held up by a royalty dispute.

9. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Agreed. I assumed a settlement had been reached when the LA Forum concert was released last year. How can they have an injunction to stop the Electric Lady box set, but then not stop the LA Forum release?

MoonPool, andrewskyDE, weavzy and 3 others like this.
  10. Travelin Man

Travelin Man Forum Resident

From what I understand, Larry Lee had two songs he sang at Woodstock and they were not included in the official release. Also, there is a studio take where his solo is edited out.

I wonder if this was to avoid similar situations? Maybe why we also don’t have a studio version of “Machine Gun”?

Dark Horse 77 and kanakaris like this.
  11. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

More than a year has passed and Amazon still hasn’t cancelled my order :shrug:

12. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Amazing how some people record shows, sit on them for years and then HAND THEM OVER TO RECORD COMPANIES.

:rolleyes:

Absolute muppets.

DTK, kees1954 and Beyond Salvation like this.
  13. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

What's the best version of the single CD version of Electric Ladyland?
    Was just looking online at ones from 1993 & 1997.

14. Off:
    IMO
    Would only consider the 1st German Polydor, 1st P58P & 2nd P36P Japanese Polydor, or 1st US/Canadian Reprise all from the 80's.

Greatly generalized:
    German: warm
    US/Canadian: even
    Japanese: cool

Prefer the Japanese for more perceived detail in the vocals & a bit more bite from the guitar. Steve Hoffman & many others prefer the US/Canadian for that unfutzed with, for digital, sound. While the German has fans here at SHMF going way-way back.

System & personal taste will ultimately be the deciding factor.

15. gpalz

gpalz Forum Resident

The above article mentions:

Noel Redding Estate and Mitch Mitchell Estate claim they are the joint owners of the copyright of albums of studio sound recordings made of the Jimi Hendrix Experience and are owed unpaid royalties.

Maybe releasing a live album gets around the claim for now.

Personally, I'm not sure if the lawsuit is the reason for the hold up, but who knows.

kohoutek, kees1954 and Mark7 like this.
  16. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

When Janie had Mitch on salary for a decade(possibly a million total) until 2008 I'm surprised they didn't a waiver him regarding any past claims.

Noel did a couple interviews in the late 90s for EH documentary. Seems odd to do for someone stealing millions from you.

17. TBos

TBos Forum Resident

Wouldn't surprise me that it is the ESTATE that suddenly has seen a way to make more money ... not Noel or Mitch, as they are long gone ...

Estates are pretty much run by lawyers ... so not really surprised about this move

CDFanatic, Mark7 and jhm like this.
  18. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

I

I suspect Noel and Mitch aren't actually behind this. Death has a habbit of limiting ones actions.

19. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

If Mitch signed a waiver in exchange for salary then how can the MM estate sue?

20. TBos

TBos Forum Resident

Lawyers always find a way to line their pockets ... even if the claim is unwinnable, they will still pursue it ... at least they make money from it

21. TBos

TBos Forum Resident

Look at the stupid Palthrow case ... nobody made any money ... except ....

22. Frip

Frip Forum Resident

I don't think it's a given that there will have been a waiver, and if there was there will presumably be legal arguments that it doesn't apply or isn't enforceable.

How it works exactly may vary from place to place, but don't think, generally, that you can have a waiver that just says "I promise not to sue ever, for any reason, under any circumstances, for all eternity" and assume it is legally bulletproof.

Studio_Two and DTK like this.
  23. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Both Mitch and Noel signed away their shares in the 70s for a pittance. Then they became bitter when Jimi got increasingly popular again in the cd era.
    Granted, Mike Jeffery left a (Yameta/off-shore) clusterf* behind when he died that no one has been able to completely unravel. It's pretty clear that both Noel and Mitch got cheated, but it would be a nightmare to prove now.

Similarly, Experience Hendrix probably only gained control because they had the best lawyers.

24. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

I mean if the estates considers "studio sound recordings...of the Jimi Hendrix Experience" to be recordings made by the trio of Jimi, Mitch and Noel, than this box set would consist of none of these recordings. And I would assume the Mitch Mitchell estate would then have to file a separate legal claim if they were to also want royalties from non-JHE recordings that he played on with Jimi.

Studio_Two likes this.

25. Estates are usually run by whoever has been appointed as an administrator, executor, etc.,( not usually lawyers). Lawyers are usually not needed unless there is no will, no spouse, no lineal heirs, or a challenge. Obviously this can vary from country to country.

Which in this case I don’t know if Noel or Mitch had spouses or children, but they may have executors.