Hendrix -new 2 lp Release Machine Gun 9-30-16

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Big pete, Aug 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

2. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Yes, I’ve read this before. Doesn’t it represent the year or something along those lines?

Vinyl Fan 1973 and marcfeld69 like this.
  3. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Does anyone have the complete, chronological setlists of shows 2, 3 and 4?

4. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

5. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

The Ezy Ryder/MLK jam from Burning Desire was included as a bonus track on the Target (store) edition of People, Hell & Angels. Otherwise, no. Both Burning Desire and Hear My Music contain some great studio jams/outtakes if your a fan. I wish they hadn't chopped the jam up, but on Burning Desire the whole Villanova Junction Blues->Record Plant x2->Slow Time Blues jam is worth the price of admission alone. There's some ferocious playing contained within.

6. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Regard the BG initials in the DW.

If it is included in the MOV EU pressing then it will have to be a certain year for it to be Grundman [I need time to reference the list I have].

Give me time to look through some details and I'll try and come up with an answer :)

Just distracted by new toys :) Plus it's nice to spend some time on me :)

The Beave likes this.
  7. John Harchar

If Sony wants to expand their "trilogy", they could officially move these into their canon. I'd argue they (and to a lesser extent Morning Symphony Ideas) are more essential to the Hendrix catalog than the "trilogy".

marcfeld69, jhm and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I agree. I've said more than once in threads here that I bet EH wishes they could have the studio Dagger releases "back" as they would've used some of those tracks on mainstream releases.

9. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

There is a lot more from where "Burning Desire," "Hear My Music," and "Morning Symphony Ideas" came from. I would rather see new compilations than see Sony recycle Dagger releases.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    Vinyl Fan 1973, marcfeld69 and Lonson like this.
  10. John Harchar

Not recycle, just re-release them and have them normally available as part of the regular catalog, available for downloading, etc.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  11. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

Excellent. I absolutely love Hear My Music, too.

Vinyl Fan 1973 and jhm like this.
  12. marcfeld69

I've noticed recently that Bernie is writing BG a bit differently and it's usually separated a long way from any stamped codes.

13. Vinyl Fan 1973

Yes, plant and the year 2016.

Gordon Johnson and culabula like this.
  14. Vinyl Fan 1973

Absolutely! Hear My Music is fantastic. I think I’ll nab Burning Desire as well.

15. Gordon Johnson

Miami has a release date of 2013.

16. Gordon Johnson

Having BG as the engineer is not totally unique here in this EU pressing.

Though I didn't buy them [as I had/have US sourced copies], the Mono AYE and ABAL EU pressings initially were BG cuts. I did check them out at a shop and recall the hype sticker saying MOV on the front!

The question I would ask, are they [the mono's] still BG cuts? The same applies to this Machine Gun pressing, does it still contain that BG detail?

17. Gordon Johnson

A bit differently to what?

We need examples to reference :)

marcfeld69 likes this.
  18. Sharp 1080

Sharp 1080 Well-Known Member

I just listened to the CD last night as Ezy Ryder/MLK jam is one of my favorite Jimi tunes to listen to over and over. Alan Douglas destroyed it on the Crash landing version.

19. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I played the 150 gram Classic Records pressing of BOG the other night....Nice!

harmonica98 and marcfeld69 like this.
  20. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Thank you. I'm always glad to learn something new. So, am I to assume that my 2016 EU pressing of Machine Gun, on Sony/Legacy via EH, is not a Bernie Grundman, even though the initials BG precede the code number in the DW? (There is no big space between the initials and the number - they are clearly meant to be read as one thing.)

I don't really mind. It sounds fine to my ears. Just curious for future reference. (I feel a bit out of my depth here, as I've never payed too much attention to such details before.)

21. marcfeld69

Well, I was thinking from his signature in years past, but I have to find an example! However, if you look at the Twin Peaks Limited Series soundtrack albums, he signs as 'Bernie G-----', whereas on the Miami Pop Festival I linked it's just BG, separate from the catalogue number (one point of similarity compared to BG in front of the no. on the Optimal-pressed MG). Look at the signature here as I posted it on the TP albums (thread), post #61:

Twin Peaks Season Three soundtrack coming in September

This is the Miami I have:

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Miami Pop Festival

I'll try to get back with more Bernie signatures later. I'd really like someone to post ones from earlier decades!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    Gordon Johnson likes this.
  22. John Harchar

Blame John Jansen, he started it :agree:

Sharp 1080 likes this.
  23. Sharp 1080

That is true, I should have included him for mixing the tape to begin with! ;)

24. Gordon Johnson

But Alan Douglas was the producer having the direction and final say.

25. Sharp 1080

It doesn't matter now anyway as we have the 20 minute jam on Burning Desire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.