Hendrix -new 2 lp Release Machine Gun 9-30-16

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Big pete, Aug 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

And how about having the Dagger releases be commonly available outside North America as well? Although I'm a huge Hendrix fan I've yet to collect them because they come at exorbitant prices, however you try to acquire them, here in Europe. But most of them seem to be out of print now anyway, so...

2. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Now we can get critical, of the business.

The EH group are members of the flat earth society. Nothing exists outside of the USA it seems.

A mad and maddening business approach.

Of course, Dagger being for the fans, we all know there are no fans outside of the USA.

3. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

But we're still missing that little snippet at the beginning...it'll probably form the basis of the next release in the trilogy...:laugh:

4. John Harchar

If they stick them on the website for download, it'll save a bundle on shipping. :agree:

5. John Harchar

A company that basically just prints to order has things go out of print...:doh: As Gordon said, mad and maddening...

6. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

Exactly. There is always confusion over this. The Grundman pressings have a BG that is found totally isolated in the deadwax.

The BG followed by numbers represents the Optimal code for format and date.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  7. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

So does the Optimal code BG stand for something else? Is it just coincidental that it's BG? I'm happy to have been enlightened on this but still curious. It's obviously caused some of us a lot of unnecessary confusion. At the end of the day, the record sounds great and that's all that matters to me.

8. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Taken from page 29 of this thread:

Optimal Matrix scheme:

XY#####-ZZ
    (Single letter format identifier, followed by single character year identifier, followed by a 5 digit numeral code, followed by an appended two digit disc numbering).

X is the format identifier:
    "A" = CDs
    "B" = Vinyl records
    "D" = DVDs
    "E" = Blu-ray Discs

Y is the manufacturing year identifier, since 2010 a single letter (A to Z):
    A = 2010
    B = 2011
    C = 2012
    D = 2013
    E = 2014
    F = 2015
    G = 2016

So B stands for vinyl and the G stands for the year of release, which is 2016.

9. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Oh my goodness! Thank you for this, and I'm sorry I missed it earlier in the thread. How ironic that it would be those two letters!

marcfeld69 and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  10. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

Yes.....sorry....I should have been more specific.

I see someone has explained this now.

11. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Sucks getting them in Canada as well. I picked up most on trips to Seattle/LA.

All Dagger titles are still in print on at least on CD. They go out of stock every time a big Hendrix release comes out and take weeks/months to replenish.

12. tcbtcb

tcbtcb Forum Resident

Revisiting this release in the last few days--absolutely loving it. Great show.

905, jhm, Lonson and 5 others like this.
  13. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I took the vinyl to work this week for some office listening.

14. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

Also listened to this one this week and I just love it. Love the energy of the show, the unique setlist at the time and the sound quality. I was hoping this may be the first of several of these shows to get standalone releases. I understand many of the tracks from the other shows are available, but they are in compilations and hard to find on vinyl in many cases and I would love just a start to finish show approach like the first show received.

15. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

Just listened to this for the first time. Thinking of buying vinyl, so auditioning on spotify. Really great vibe. The band seem a little tighter than on the originally released "Band of Gypsys" set. Or maybe that's the power of better mastering? Seems more cohearent.

Pouchkine likes this.
  16. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Sounds great on vinyl, don't delay and grab it now.

Its coherency may well be down to the fact it is a full set rather than a compilation of material from across four sets.

I'd check to see who did the EU pressing. If it is not MOV then maybe sourcing from the US is the best option. None MOV mastering is proving to be hit and miss, mostly the latter unfortunately.

Pouchkine likes this.
  17. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

Just got to the solo in "Earth Blues".
    Farck me!!
    Jimi is tearing it to pieces!!!

18. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

This chart is VERY cool...thanks! I have the Machine Gun SACD along with the DVD (2011 release) which includes Foxey Lady 1/1/70 first show, I'll have to look into getting the others. I ripped the audio from the DVD and the sound quality/mastering is SUPERB! Aside from the audio cuts in Who Knows and Stop, I would find it hard to believe the common tracks from the other CD's would top it. DR values from the DVD rip:

foobar2000 1.3.17 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2019-01-06 13:39:10

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Jimi Hendrix / Band Of Gypsys Live At The Fillmore East 1/1/70 first show
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR14 -7.03 dB -23.56 dB 9:05 ?-12 Who Knows (January 1, 1970 - first show)
    DR13 -7.45 dB -23.43 dB 13:35 ?-13 Machine Gun (January 1, 1970 - first show)
    DR14 -7.00 dB -23.42 dB 6:48 ?-14 Them Changes (January 1, 1970 - first show)
    DR14 -7.00 dB -22.58 dB 6:53 ?-15 Power Of Soul (January 1, 1970 - first show)
    DR14 -7.00 dB -21.96 dB 5:28 ?-16 Stepping Stone (January 1, 1970 - first show)
    DR14 -7.00 dB -22.61 dB 7:01 ?-17 Foxey Lady (January 1, 1970 - first show)
    DR14 -7.06 dB -23.61 dB 5:08 ?-18 Stop (January 1, 1970 - first show)
    DR14 -7.00 dB -22.83 dB 4:59 ?-19 Earth Blues (January 1, 1970 - first show)

Number of tracks: 8
    Official DR value: DR14

Samplerate: 48000 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 16
    Bitrate: 1536 kbps
    Codec: PCM

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  19. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Your work has a record player?

Former Lee Warmer likes this.
  20. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

This is accurate.

jhm likes this.
  21. Former Lee Warmer

Umm, are they?? the only copies of Paris/San Francisco 1968 and the Baggy's Rehearsal disc I can find are via 3rd party sellers??

22. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I set up my old turntable in my office. Keep a few crates of lps behind my desk. Makes it tolerable.

23. Former Lee Warmer

You guys hiring?

I have a few crates of LPs as well...

Buda and All Down The Line like this.
  24. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

They both seem to be available at Authentic Hendrix. Twelve bucks a pop but watch out for increased postage rates and sales tax.

25. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I'll keep you in my rolodex.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.