Hendrix on CD: your favorite masterings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SamS, Jun 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

All the Cry of Love tracks on Voodoo Soup were remixed in the early 90's. I like the mixes Jimi and Eddie Kramer did at Electric Lady Studios in '70 better. Also, Bruce Gary (formerly of The Knack) overdubbed Mitch and Buddy's original tracks with his own playing :realmad:

Chris

2. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Yes--but it's still the only place you can find the opening instrumental "First Rays Of The New Rising Sun" (if in fact that's what Jimi was calling it when he recorded it in 1968). According to EH, this track will see the light of day on an EH disc. My biggest problem with "Voodoo Soup" is the revisionist history. Bruce Gary (the drummer for the Knack if I remember correctly) overdubbed drums on "Stepping Stone" and "Room Full Of Mirrors". I remember MTV's Kurt Loder made a big deal about it at the time and played clips of the original and the new version back to back. His raised eyebrows and expression revealed what he (and I) were thinking. Why? The original was great the way it was. Having said that, I don't mind the new Voodoo Soup remixes of many of the tunes that appeared on "Cry Of Love" but I still prefer the songs on the official (and sadly, maximized) "First Rays" disc.

(just noticed that I repeated some info from the post above, although Bruce on drums on these two songs. Two too many for me!)

3. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

SD,
    when Voodoo Soup first turned up, I thought.... at last, some of the tracks on Rainbow Bridge and Cry of Love redone with care....then I listened.
    Freedom with the non-swinging drum track, Room Full of Mirrors with Bruce Gary added and even more phasing.
    I could never get into it, but, hey, each to his own.

4. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

There was indeed a Polydor Cry of Love.

5. ascot

ascot Senior Member

EH has not yet reissued one of my absolute favorites: Jimi Plays Monterey.

I love this performance and I suspect the disc has been out of print for a while. I know some of the songs appear here and there but this may be Jimi's defining moment.

6. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Jimi's entire performance is available on the Rhino 4-CD Monterey box, which I believe is still in print. Though I guess if you just want the Jimi, having to buy all 4 cds can be pricey.

7. jdw

jdw Senior Member

This performance was released earlier this year on Criterion's 3 DVD set "The Complete Monterery Pop Festival."

The sound was re-mixed by Eddie Kramer for 5.1 - I don't remember if the original mono (stereo?) is also included. I still haven't bought the damn thing!

There are also commentary tracks and an interview with Pete Townshend regarding Hendrix at the festival.

If I remember correctly, the audio recordings are owned by EH - the film footage is owned by "Monterey Pop, Inc". Thankfully they got together for the DVD release and used a company like Criterion which has a high reputation for quality. It's possible that Hendrix's set might get released on DVD separate from the Criterion box set (or EH might release an audio-only CD version) at some point.

Please, some people out there with the Criterion set - give your opinions about the audio and video quality.

Thanks

John
    vancouver

8. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Actually, I have the whole Monterey set. I kept thinking only part of Jimi's performance was included here but I guess not.

9. John Buchanan

Jimi at Monterey is a superb performance. Apparently, the Polydor version is slightly truncated compared with the Reprise (some stage announcements may have been cut out) but it's my one of the best JHE concerts, and Jimi sounds very happy.

10. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

I would like to get the original Polydor "Cry of Love" CD. Why this title has been ignored is beyond me.

11. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Just thought I'd mention in case you were not aware of it. There is a HDCD version of The Ultimate Experience- Poly 517 235-2. I bought it new and only spun it a few times. I do remember hearing " analog-like" noise on this mastering- perhaps indicating a No-noise free remastering. Don't know if it's OOP at this time.

12. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

That is a very rare disk, it was never imported into the US. I had to order mine directly from the UK. Fremmer gave it a great review in his Hendrix issue of the Tracking Angel and is indeed a different mastering than the Ultimate Experience at the time. Has anyone heard if the Hendrix Family has any plans of issuing any albums in 5.1 . EL would be a killer in that format.

13. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Ask a question, get an answer.
    Don't you just LOVE this forum (Thanks, Steve)!

I thought only that low life Alan Douglas, swiped away history, by adding musicians. He even added guitar tracks!!!

Will still enjoy Voodoo Soup.
    Just now with a ton of sea salt!
    Mitch Mitchell, is my favorite drummer.
    He's my 'man' for skins, in my super group lineup.
    Guess who's on lead guitar?

Jimi Plays Monterey, with a burning guitar on the cover no less (just not "THE" burning guitar, unfortunately), is Polydor 827990-2 W. G. ADD!

"I would like to get the original Polydor "Cry of Love" CD. Why this title has been ignored is beyond me."
    CoL, has been released, right?
    Like, Rainbow Bridge, hard too come by.
    The 'family', does not 'recognize', albums released after Jimi's death.
    So, don't hold your breath, from a EH release of CoL.
    Was the Douglass, abomination, Nine to the Universe, ever released?

Wonder, how much that singles box set, is going to set me back?!?!?!

14. Chris M

Hi John, your right, EH does own the Monterey audio. They used 2 tracks on the purple box. I don't have the Criterion DVD either but I was VERY disappointed they didn't use any alternate camera angles as a bonus feature. For a set as comprehensive and expensive as the Criterion set I thought they should of given us all the Jimi footage they have. Alternate camera rolls circulate among collectors so I'm sure they had stuff they could of used.

Chris

15. Chris M

Response from EH/MCA about MAXIMIZED Jimi CD's

The above article has a response from EH regarding fan criticisms the loud levels on the EH CD's. The first graph didn't come out but there is wave samples that illustrate how LOUD the EH reissues are. I'm absolutely gob-smacked that the EH mastering team of George Marino and Eddie Kramer don't understand the issue at hand. Check out the link for EH's response. Jimi fans with high blood pressure might want to steer clear of the article as it ain't pretty......

Fly On,

Chris

16. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Rainbow Bridge and Nine to the Universe were never officially released on CD (but boots abound). Only CoL, In The West, War Heroes, and Loose Ends were issued from the original post death albums. I'm not counting others like Midniight Lighting or Crash Landing etc.

17. Chris M

I agree that 9 to the Universe was a mess. I like the idea of a compilation showcasing Jimi's studio jams but that disc is not at all representative of what is in the vaults. There are MUCH better studio jams that the 9 to the Universe stuff. Check out the Dagger Records Morning Symphony Ideas release instead.

Chris

18. Chris M

19. John Buchanan

Cry of Love was a great album and was released on CD (and was also remastered)on Reprise in the US. Also available on Polydor. Deleted when EH took over the catalogue. Mostly reissued on First Rays/South Saturn Delta. Great cover!
    Rainbow Bridge, according to rumour, may have been available in a legitimate edition in Japan for about 5 minutes before it was deleted. All the tracks are now available on Blues/First Rays/The Jimi Hendrix Experience box set. The gatefold interview was nearly unreadable.
    In The West was not released on CD in the US - only on Polydor and very briefly. All tracks are availble on The 4 CD box (The JHE) Stages also had a remixed version of Red House which is excellent.
    War Heroes and Loose Ends were Polydor only and the best of these were released on First Rays and SSD. Even EK said these were scraping the bottom of the barrel, but some gems are included.

20. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

War/Loose is a double CD, of quesstionable origins, you'll see pop up here & there.
    CoL, original, also will pop up from time to time.
    Any good leads too the German Polydor's?
    Thanks, for the DD link!

21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

They put the songs on other cds. I got used to this record and the order of songs. I wish Steve would do this compilation from the original tapes.

22. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Steve,
    Do you know Eddie?
    Thank's.

23. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

This was one of the first HDCD discs I purchased after having my D/A processor upgraded. In fact, it was my first Hendrix purchase of any kind! I think this CD sounds wonderful. It really turned me on to Hendrix; I have since purchased all of the Experience Hendrix issues on vinyl, including the 8 LP version of the box. I also have, and love, the 180 gram issues from Classic records, although I haven't yet listened to "Blues." And don't forget, the Dagger releases are also very good.

24. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Back in 85 I had a guy in Japan that would ship me all the Hendrix Japanese releases as soon as they appeared. I've heard the rumour about RB but unless someone can show me one I don't believe it at all.

25. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I just received the two latest releases from Dagger Records today: The Baggy's Rehearsals and Live Paris 67 / San Francisco 68.

I'm listening to Baggy's now. The sound is pretty rough but the grooves are good and, of course, Jimi's solos rock. In fact, the sound is the only thing that puts a downer on these recordings. The cymbals are very swishy and there are numerous tape defects. It's too bad Jimi didn't record the rehearsals proper.

Live in Paris was recorded for French radio and is missing four songs, two of which appeared on the box set, and the other two were deemed unusable due to technical problems (Jimi's vocal mike cut out).

Live in S.F. is a decent soundboard recording and includes Buddy Miles joining the band for a long instrumental version of Traffic's "Dear Mr. Fantasy"!

If you like Band of Gypsys, definitely get The Baggy's Rehearsals! :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.