Hendrix on vinyl - which ones?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by snork, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Forum Resident

Does anyone who has the EH AYE vinyl have any issues with "Can You See Me"? I searched for information about the album and found this:

This new re-mastering, although generally excellent, was unfortunately marred by audible crackles through the stereo panning on 'Can You See Me'

Granted, it's from Wikipedia...but that's why I'm asking about it here.

2. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

It's a noisy pan pot that printed to the master tape! :laugh:

3. heimska

heimska Forum Resident

Does anyone have any experience with the japanese polydor mono pressing of AYE?

Since it is a japanese I gather the pressing should be pretty good, but how is the sound quality?

4. heimska

heimska Forum Resident

More precise, I am thinking about the one with the green obi...

Any comments on this one?

5. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

The new Back To Black Axis sounds great! I am very impressed!

6. heimska

heimska Forum Resident

Bump anyone regarding japanese polydor mono AYE??

Any info on this?

7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Maybe it's your system.:rolleyes:

8. prof. stoned

prof. stoned Forum Member

Pardon? My system is fine. And this is my opinion.
    If you like a big boost round 60Hz, then it's good for you.
    I have higher standards, like an original or 70's Reprise.

9. VinylNutz

VinylNutz Active Member

Same here. It perfectly compliments Classic's mono reissue. I'm surprised it hasn't received more attention. I can't imagine it sounding much better.

10. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

To my surprise, after all the praise that's been heaped on this pressing, I agree with prof stoned. Perhaps opinions are influenced by the equipment people have but my set-up reproduces bass very effectively through big speakers and I found the bass boosted to such a degree that it made my head hurt after a while. To my ears, the bass is much more up-front than in the Classic Records mono pressing and also heavier than in the previous MCA Experience Hendrix pressing, which itself was far from bass light.

In my opinion, and on my set-up, the Classic mono is the definitive mono and the best of the reissues so far. Like the prof, I feel that we still await the definitive stereo.

razorball likes this.
  11. prof. stoned

prof. stoned Forum Member

I couldn't have said it better.
    This bass boost seems to be a Ray Janos trademark (fyi, this is the guy who cut the new B2B Axis).
    The 45rpm's he cut for the singles collection vol. 2 set also have a overloaded low-end compared to the originals and other sources.
    The few that Bernie Grundmann did for that set sound just right.

razorball likes this.
  12. karmapolice

karmapolice Forum Resident

can anyone tell me if the hendrix blues lp 200 gram classic records is worth picking up? I have the "scorsese blues" and there is some overlap of songs but the "blues" is a tube cut by bernie

13. dh3rm3

dh3rm3 Forum Resident

The sound quality is amazing... Pure analog all the way, it blows away any other versions I've heard... Alas, the quality of the pressing is not that good... like often with Classic 200G of the time...

14. lazarus

lazarus Forum Resident

Any comments about the sq on Classic´s Live at Woodstock?

15. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

RE: BARCLAY AYE.

at http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=170765

the Prof. has the Isle of Wight cover which iv'e seen as matrix 820143 and says it is the 1971 ? reissue.

(Thanks to Howlinrock for the pics of 820167 and the 'it's stereo" info one page on from there.)

I have also seen a 820143 where the cover art is lots of swirly colours. Looks possibly inspired by Jimi's Isle of Wight shirt. Any ideas when this might date from and where it stands on the mono/stereo front.

Also info on that thread to avoid the Barclay Red Wax. Would this apply to other colours ? Is it generally thought that the sound on coloured vinyl is as good as black wax or not ?

thanks

16. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

fairly common cash-in sometime after Jimi's death so prob. early '70s. plenty to be found on ebay. it is the Lonnie Youngblood period. Released on EMI / Axis here in Oz. Was my first jimi music cos dad had it and i just sort of acquired it.

this material now turns up on all sorts of cds claiming 'the best of jimi' etc. so at least this is a bit more honest.

17. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

It's the $$hipping that kills.

18. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

OH ,. now i see a difference.

I said " more honest " cos our's has "In The Beginning" as the album name on the front.

19. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

This Jimi comp on ebay :

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310208658944&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

All details on there are right. It was a " as seen on TV " special and not available for very long.

All tracks are the standard 'best of' features except there is 'Gloria' in a sort of 'live in the studio' form that i've not found elsewhere. Jimi tells us that "We've all had a girl named Gloria right " " Mitch Mitchell had a girl named Gloria ...and ........ Noel Redding had a girl named Gloria....... and her breath smelt like..... " (to Noel) .. " what was it ....?....."

i'm sure this must be familiar to some of you.

20. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

I *Think* it is Wet followed by a word I am pretty sure you can make out!:eek:

21. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

Just clicked on the link and saw "Chop it down with the LEDGE of my hand"
    Please tell me it's EDGE.........(or I feel really really dumb right now)

22. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Well i've always thought "edge".

Hell you were looking closely. Mine says 'ledge' too. I guess they all do because there was only one run done. Well spotted.

So where does that Gloria version come from ?

23. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

ELL on Track.

Was that released as Polydor outside the UK ( Esp. in Oz ). What cover did they use ?

24. AFCAD

AFCAD Forum Resident

Yes - Polydor in Oz. Original ones had black "Ïnternational" Polydor labels, heavy vinyl and same stampers as original UK Track. That one's rare. Soon replaced by red Polydor labels on heavy vinyl with UK stampers which changed to lighter weight vinyl during late 60s/early 70s. Look for UK catalogue number for ones using original UK stampers (613008/9). All these sound great and stack up well when compared to my Track copy (a lot cheaper too!).

Cover was reverse of the US cover (front picture on back etc.) and laminated. Earlier cover was constructed differently when compared to later copies.

25. Idler

Idler Active Member

Just the bought the new Legacy vinyl edition of Axis and I'm a bit disappointed that this also suffers from the bass boost that others have mentioned in regard to earlier re-issues. It also sounds a bit muffled and low resolution compared to other vinyl I have.

Pls note that I am comparing against late 60s Australian and UK vinyl and I'm afraid people are kidding themselves if they think these new releases sound anywhere as good as the originals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.