Hendrix releases in 2019 speculation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Harchar, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident Thread Starter

Isn't there a This Little Boy on one of the other of the seven tapes in a headband? I have Stephen Roby's book on the coffee table at home where he has the contents all listed, will have to double check. If they want to put out something other than the Black Gold material, they should look to those tapes for things like this.

2. John Harchar

Yes, there's only an audience tape from the 18th far as I know.

3. John Harchar

According to the article around the time of the settlement, the main point of contention that caused the problem was the distribution. Production credit problems weren't mentioned, so everybody seemed to be ok with whatever the film was (or was going to be) at that point.

There's something out there that seems to resemble a completed work print at the very least, I've had it since 1989. I'm guessing it runs around 65 minute since the 60 minute VHS tape it's on runs out either just before Wild Thing ends or just after Smashing of the Amps begins. Haven't seen it in over 10 years since I made a DVD dub of it, so I can't remember if it had titles on it. But it had the concert intercut with the other things like Hound Dog.

4. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Are we taking RAH only here?

A mutli tape recording exists for the 18th.

hoggydoggy, DTK and jhm like this.
  5. John Harchar

6. Serenity Now

Serenity Now Forum Resident

I know something from the 18th surfaced a couple of years ago that is either a soundboard or multi track mixdown. I've always wondered why only the 24th has ever been used. Is the 18th in the EH archive? Did the other shows filmed by G&G just make do with a soundboard feed?

7. kees1954

kees1954 Forum Resident

Back in the day Alan Douglas gave the impression that had a copy. Suddenly November Morning was released on West Coast Seattle Boy.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    unclefred and jhm like this.
  8. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

It was/is. Goldstein even held a private screening for a few people. I remember reading an interview or blog post from an African American woman (singer, musician?) who had seen the film at that screening. She was light on details (you could tell she wasn't a Jimi obsessive like many of us are) but stated emphatically that it looked and sounded spectacular!

DTK likes this.
  9. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

From what I read it was recorded directly to cassette but on some kind of 4 track recorder, so there are some overdubs, etc. No idea about other copies that may have been made. Well scratch that, Tony Brown (R.I.P.) detailed making a copy of Mitch's copy just to ensure they had a safety backup. Mitch presented the cassettes that Jimi had handed to him but that he hadn't played since he got them. I remember Tony's article saying he was worried that the tape deck might eat Mitch's cassette of Black Gold before a full copy could be made.

Kassonica and kees1954 like this.
  10. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

The 18th is in the EH archive. I don't know how long it's been in the archive, but they have it. Regarding the audio available for the other G&G filmed shows, Ultimate Hendrix is a bit cryptic on this front. They seem to imply that Nagra reels were used to accompany the film shoots, so at the very least there should be a simple mono or stereo sound track that would be synched to the film. Again, this isn't 100% and perhaps the new edition of Ultimate Hendrix will shed some more light (one can hope at least).

Gordon Johnson and Kassonica like this.
  11. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

4 track cassette recorders didn’t exist until the late 70’s.

The plot thickens.

12. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Apparently that isn't true. See the sample page from Caesar Glebbeck's bio "Electric Gypsy":

Jimi Hendrix

DTK, EVOLVIST and kees1954 like this.
  13. kees1954

kees1954 Forum Resident

That was the famous Rosa Lee Brooks. The songs she mentioned were exactly the same as those on the old VHS.

DTK and Purple Jim like this.
  14. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Thanks Kees! I knew someone smarter than me would recall :winkgrin:. That makes complete sense! I recall pouring over that article to see if she mentioned "Stone Free" or not.

kees1954 likes this.
  15. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

Surely something live will be next. The money would be on a Maui release. After that another Studio Jam release would be great, in the vein of Hear My Music/Burning Desire. Those 2 releases are probably in my top 5 Hendrix albums.

16. Did nobody like Morning Symphony Ideas? Everyone mentions the other two Dagger studio jam discs, but rarely do I see thr first one mentioned. I think it's as indispensable as the others.

I would gladly take another disc of that stuff, pronto! :)

Gordon Johnson, kees1954 and jhm like this.
  17. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

I loved it. But I dont think its quite as strong as the other two.

18. John Harchar

It’s close to indispensable as a companion piece to the other two. MSI was their first crack at something like this and since Groovin’ and Scorpio Woman are so long, they kept the ability to include other things down to a minimum. It’s kind of a more engaging version of the demo tape. I do need to liste. To it at some point and note down everything in KOG, Jungle and Scorpio Woman

EVOLVIST, jhm and DTK like this.
  19. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I think Strato Strut and Scorpio Woman are intriguing. The rest is purely rehearsal/demo material that is fun but doesn't bear repeated listening.

20. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I just picked up a little Hendrix comp - Voodoo Chile from 1971 on the German Karussell label.
    The first track is listed ass "Voodoo Chile", with a duration of 3:32.
    I thought it would be "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)", but it's the funniest little edit of 3 and a half minutes of "Voodoo Chile". :D

Maidenpriest and EVOLVIST like this.
  21. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Likewise. There is easily enough quality JHE material from the 2/69 Olympic sessions for another Dagger release. Then there is the 4/69 Olmsted sessions which inexplicably haven't been touched save for Trash Man..
    I love every second of it.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  22. Chris M

Nagra recordings of the three(?) Jan 69 shows the RAH crew filmed is one of the major holy grails. I would think at least Berlin was recorded....

DTK and jhm like this.
  23. Chris M

The 2/24 Hear My Train is every inch as good as Berkeley. I prefer it.

Re unseen 2/24 footage surely some of Red House was filmed right? Incredible version, up there with Fillmore East '68 and San Diego '69.

Bart Mazzetti and jhm like this.
  24. Are you forgetting the full version on the Dick Cavett show? :p

25. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

I think the 2nd Stockholm 69 set would make a fantastic RSD release. Its such a great set. So much fuzz. I don't think its the most highest of quality recording. Buts its pretty damn good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.