Hendrix releases in 2019 speculation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Harchar, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

The last one I can think of, and it's likely an anomaly (meaning it was the first one in a long time and there may never be one again) was the Michael Jackson "This Is It" film released not long after his death:

Michael Jackson's This Is It (2009) - Box Office Mojo

Boxofficemojo says it raked in about $72 million world wide but there's no information available on how much it cost to make. As I recall, Mr. Jackson was already in reheasals and they had to cancel a lenghty run in London, so I'm guessing the producers were already out quite a bit of money before the film was released. It was the #1 film the weekend it was released however...

Now back to our regularly scheduled Jimi talk.

2. Yeah, so is the general consensus Maui '70 along with the AYE SACD for 2019? That's what I'm feeling anyway. <shrug>

3. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident Thread Starter

So far. Let's see if we get lucky with the SACD on the 28th, if not, it'll be first up for 2019...hopefully.

4. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I understand there’s a soundboard recording of the 1970 show at Cal Expo in Sacramento that I attended. I keep hoping it gets released. Maybe 2019 is the year.

5. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

I want the rest of this..

kanakaris and hoggydoggy like this.
  6. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I think the third volume of the PPX tapes that Kramer mentioned could be pushed out as well. We usually get 2 releases a year, so I guess we'll see.

I don't count the AYE SACD as being a part of that schedule to be honest. Since AP likely reached out to EH to make these, I see them more as a non-mainstream side project. Let's hope it truly doesn't bump another release from the 2019 schedule.

7. John Harchar

Way better than the next time he played MSG! :angel:

vinyldreams and jhm like this.
  8. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

No doubt!

9. John Harchar

Do you remember where Eddie mentioned about more of the PPX tapes? There's definitely some more of the studio material that would be of interest, at least to get out all the tracks from the original Get That Feeling and Flashing.

The Axis AP project didn't take the place of a 2nd EH release, so two EH projects are certainly still possible no matter when the AYE release comes out. Though remember the oddity that was 2017: the 50th anniversary of AYE & Axis and we get...the Hackensack concert.

10. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I do not remember the specifics, but IIRC, EH said there was going to be more than one PPX release. Whether the Dagger live release counted is unclear.

11. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

12. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I think part of the problem is Goldstein considers RAH as a film he made with Jimi in 1969 and won't come to an agreement if he isn't allowed to produce the film.

DTK likes this.
  13. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Eddie specifically stated three around the time they put out the first volume. Of course we have two now (one Dagger as you noted).

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  14. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I've been listening to and watching the RAH material for decades already
    I can't really see them doing a stand-alone album with the 1967 Curtis Knight sessions because there is so little substance there. They might just put a few bits and pieces in the next box set.

DTK and jhm like this.
  15. John Harchar

16. John Harchar

Is there anything left from 1965 in terms of full songs?

17. John Harchar

I don't think credit was an issue, was it? He seemed to be ok with whatever they were going to put out, as long as it was in all those theaters.

At this point I don't think we'll see an official release of the original film. If and when it comes out, it'll be the EH amalgamation. Would love to be wrong though.

18. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

From the 1965-66 era with Knight, there are a few demos:
    U.F.O.
    Better Times Ahead
    Everybody Knew But Me
    If You Gonna Make A Fool Of Somebody

...and some lesser quality live recordings, but I think that's it.

19. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Strasbourg, Vienna, and Berlin
    I was referring to production that would be completed today, not in 1969. I believe Goldstein wanted to 'produce' the film with EH....he wanted a degree or editorial control of the material that EH understandably did not want to grant.

Not certain but I don't think the film was anywhere near film was anywhere near completion in 1969.

jhm likes this.
  20. Greenblues

Greenblues Forum Resident

Exciting to hear about that. I thought This Little Boy was a lost (EL demo) recording, just like Locomotion, as reported in McDermott's and Kramer's biog (IIRC).
    I guess Locomotion might be the same song as the "Local Commotion" track on the Black Gold tape (due to phonetic similarity), just the same song, maybe with new lyrics, refashioned for possible inclusion on the First Rays album. I'd love to hear these songs. Needless to say I'd love to hear the complete Black Gold just as much.

kees1954 likes this.
  21. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I seem to remember that the new film was cut and ready to go, with Goldstein involved. Then he threw a spanner in the works over of the distribution issues.

jhm and DTK like this.
  22. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Last I read the Electric Lady demos of songs like This Little Boy were still lost. Would be awesome if they have somehow been recovered.

23. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

does anyone know if the black gold tape was recorded to directly cassette and has another copy ever turned up outside of mitch's copy?

24. Serenity Now

Serenity Now Forum Resident

Was RAH 24 Feb the only show multi-tracked?

25. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

To say Berkeley isn’t good enough for a live album? I’d call B.S. to anyone who says that. Between the 2 sets, you have 2.5 hrs of material, from which a double album could’ve been fashioned in 1972...let’s say 72 minutes. And the performances are very strong, too. And that’s not counting the afternoon rehearsals.

kanakaris, 905, vudicus and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.