Henry : Portrait Of A serial Killer (1986)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ZackyDog, Sep 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I was excited when the video store I rented from in the mid-90s had an "unrated" VHS copy of this on their shelf. After I took it home and watched it, I found out that someone had cut the family scene out and sloppily spliced the tape. I never knew if it was the store or of someone had taken it upon themselves to do the edit.

It wasn't until the 30th Anniversary Blu-ray that I finally saw the unedited film.

ZackyDog likes this.
  2. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

A not-too-unrelated story...
    I had borrowed a movie from the library called 'Savage Messiah' , one of those based-on-the-truth deals, which was about a religious Canadian cult. It had a couple of sexual scenes in it but nothing gratuitous and a bit of violence but nothing over the top.
    A couple of years later I felt like watching it again and went to get it at the library only to be told by the clerk that "someone" had complained about the movie and it was withdrawn from circulation.

3. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Wasn't the original film transferred to video and THEN edited? It's been decades since I've seen it, but I remember it feeling like the Manson Family Afterschool Special when I saw video fades to black rather than film.

Dan

4. GreggF

GreggF Forum Resident

"Let's watch it again"

5. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Never heard of this movie. Will have to check it out.

Never heard of Michael Rooker till Days of Thunder came out.

ZackyDog likes this.
  6. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

That scene indicates that the people who made the film were potentially dangerous!

kanakaris likes this.
  7. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

True. I have seen a lot of horror movies, but nothing like that...

8. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

It was the context and realness of the situation that startled me.. I can handle blood and guts but when that boy gets it ( don't wanna spoil it for anyone), well that just made me sick.

9. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

I bought the DVD in the UK while I was there as it wasn't available in Australia. I watched it once then sold it on. I do enjoy the acting talents of Michael Rooker more than the character he was playing - I'm very glad his career has had a boost in recent years.

10. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

At least according to the Wikipedia entry:

After filming was finished, there was so little money left that the film had to be edited on a rented 16 mm flatbed which was set up in editor Elena Maganini's living room.

Matt Richardson likes this.
  11. The Snout

The Snout Forum Resident

A friend who was also into such things and did the media buying for a Youngstown, OH-based chain ("Phar-Mor's power buying brings you far more buying power") gave me a t-shirt some distributor had given him promoting HPSK. Needing something black to wear under my work shirt one day, editing greeting cards, I threw on Henry, expecting it wouldn't be noticed. During the day I visited a fellow editor's cubicle, where she was talking to another friend, the guy who serviced our vending machines and a part-time clown and magician for kids' parties; interesting guy. He was telling her about this movie he had seen the night before, Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, and I, amazed, pulled up my dress shirt and said, "You mean this Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer?" Without blinking, Ron said "Yeah, that Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer," and went on with his story.

A lesson in cool for us all.

yesstiles likes this.
  12. While it is a good movie-to think that Ebert gave a thumbs down to “the Thing” and a thumbs up for this is still bizarre to me.

yesstiles likes this.
  13. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

Certanly on my top ten list of horror flicks.

Henry's disarming tone is made by the budget of the film. Sometimes less cash can feel far more real?

And this is a film made for those of us who put little stock in supernatural horror as a means to actual scares.

It's perfectly terrifying...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.