Dismiss Notice
We are rebuilding the search index and other forum caches this morning. Search results may not appear correct until indexing has completed, and the forum may respond a little slower than normal until this has finished.

Herb Solow, Desilu executive who championed Star Trek, dead at 89

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by cathandler, Nov 21, 2020.

1. cathandler

cathandler Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

He also worked at MGM and shepherded other shows like 'Mannix' and 'The Courtship of Eddie's Father' during his career.

cathandler likes this.
  3. He had quite a career.

MikaelaArsenault and cathandler like this.
  4. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

A true pioneer. RIP.

MikaelaArsenault and cathandler like this.
  5. ggergm

ggergm you've gotta serve somebody

The book he wrote with Robert Justman, Inside Star Trek: The Real Story, is required reading if you want to know the history of the original series. They were there.

Warp speed, Mr. Solow.

6. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I met both of them when I worked at Paramount Studios back in 1996. Both of them were very nice. They signed my book. I got rid of it years ago but it was a very good book.

7. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster A skeptical believer....

I've read every book regarding the creation of the the original Star Trek series and consider that one the absolute very best, by far.

It's very much a 'warts-and-all' unvarnished look at the series and personalities that surrounded it and isn't afraid to call out their sometimes dodgy behaviors and motivations. Also a fascinating look under the hood look at the politics and challenges of getting a show produced as well as shining a much needed light onto the others that contributed mightily to Star Trek (it wasn't all Gene as he'd like you to believe). Top notch read...

Hope your setting a course for 'the second star on the left' Mr. Solow, and know that your work did indeed change many lives. Respect.