Hey good lookin'

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by aashton, Nov 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NoTinEar

NoTinEar Suspended

Let me start off by saying I am in no way a Mac "lover", a devotee of the if its Mac its gotta be xyz. I don't care about any of that, but I do definitely have a itch that is just somehow scratched by those metered amplifiers from Mac. Further, I wouldn't say that the amps looked cluttered. All they have is a knob or two and those meters. That design was and still is really different and unique in the industry. Indeed that design dates back a long time. For me personally I can make an easy analogy to the world of the automobile. I think you can draw an analogy between the design of this amplifier to the design of some kind of automobile. The Mac amp's with meters, would represent some type of automobile distinctly American and from the late 60's or early early 70's. Following that logic, that would pretty much make the Mac amplifiers the muscle cars of the amplifier design. Bold, large, and pretty much in your face with what they are. Now I am talking about the physical design of the amp, not necessarily the sound. Now it is true the muscle cars of the 60/70 have and can be updated to have smoother lines, more aerodynamic, and more modern sensibilities in the round curves, such as the current viper can trace its lines back to the cobra. I suppose then you could expect the muscle car of amplifier design to undergo a transformation. However a update isn't always necessary, as indeed many people distinctly identify for whatever reason emotionally, intellectual, philosophically with the original design. Take the case of the cobra muscle car. The current kit car versions which duplicate the originals down to the last nut and bolts have a tremendous after-market sales. If you ask the owners of these kit cars why they choose that instead of a more updated muscle car, they usually all say the same thing. There is something they identified when the first saw the original and that has always stayed with them. They finally have a chance to own one and they took it. They are usually immensely satisfied with that choose also. I really think that keeping those original designs on those Mac amps really has the same effect. Macintosh seems to sell as many of those amps as they want and the design definitely has people who have for whatever reason have some connection to the design. I can't tell you how many people came in when I sold hi-fi and might not have new what the flavor of the week brand was, but they definitely knew the Mac name. Not only knew it, but for whatever reason wanted to own it. Then again you may not like the design at all, and there isn't anything wrong with that either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.