DCC Archive Hey guys, tube question!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wes, Oct 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wes

wes Senior Member Thread Starter

I've just delved into the tube scene last summer.....but I have one question. What does tube rolling mean? Rolling a tube....
    Anyone...anyone...

-Wes :)

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I think it means switching tubes to get a different sound. So now you can use Russian tubes for hard rock, Chinese tubes for the 4th of July, Mullards for classical and folk, etc. If you want to, that is!

(Just kidding about the 4th of July - they are supposed to be the worse tubes going - avoid them!!)

Don't let you cat play with them. "The voice of experience! ;) "

Sckott: Can we have a real answer, please?

[ October 12, 2001: Message edited by: Gary ]

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

It means you're progressing though a set of the same tubes, comparing them.

So, let's say I buy a Bottlehead Foreplay (which I DID) and I say.. "I'm rolling some 6198's and 12AU7's", it means I'm using like-tubes in the same circut, and comparing what I like or dislike.

Never physically roll a tube. It might fall and break its little head. :(

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

So you mean that 6198's and 12AU7's can be substituted for each other? Same rsistance & stuff? Your amp won't blow up - or tubes overheat?

5. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

Well, true tube rolling can be either driver, power or preamp tubes! Rolling can consist of the following, trying different manufactures of the same tube designation, or subing different tubes that can fill the bill.
    Examples of the first: You try useing Sovtek EL34 instead of the stock Sino, then maybe trying the Tesla versions, or the Svetlana, and true tube rollers would hunt down vintage like GE, Genlex, or Mullax. This can all be fun, allbeit expensive when you get into vintage.
    Example of the second: Your preamp takes 6dj6, you can use a 6922 as a sub. Better yet some amps will allow you to use a variety of different power tubes (example the Quicksilver MiniMono or AES Superamp 25) these examples can use EL34, 6550, 6L6, KT88, KT66 or 6CA7. These all would allow you for different sounds. I for example love the sound of EL34, but with these types of amps, I could compare a 6L6 to these or even to KT66.
    But, beware, useing the wrong tubes can be catastophic! An amp that can not bieas a tube can cause fires or electrocution. Parts can fry and tubes can pop! :eek:

6. wes

wes Senior Member Thread Starter

Nice!!! I can see da light!!!! I was tube rolling and I didn't even know it.

Thank you DCC'rs.

-Wes :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.