Hey You Rude Boy! It's the Two Tone and related thread (release by release).

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Colocally, May 14, 2018.

1. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys Thread Starter

Oh, I will have to listen to that again, I never noticed. Will have to keep an eye out for that 12" too.

2. Colocally

Addendum, I meant Geffen not Sire.

3. heliocentric

heliocentric Forum Resident

Is this one?

4. Colocally

The Beat up next with I Confess backed with Soul Salvation. Another in a long line of good singles that barely bothered the UK charts getting to just no 54 after being released on December 4 1982. This was released on GO FEET FEET 16 and some copies came with a bonus 7" with live versions of Mirror In The Bathroom, Save It For Later and Doors Of Your Heart. There was also a 12" with a remix of the A side, and live versions of I Confess and Spar Wid Me on the flip.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Interestingly Wesley Magoogan was the saxophonist who played the solo on Hazel O'Connor's song "Will You".

beccabear67 likes this.
  5. slopduck

slopduck Forum Resident

This was my introduction to Madness, I got it on cassette in... I think spring '88. On the same day, I bought "The Specials" and "Special Beat Service" on cassette as well. I would have been 11 years old. I had enjoyed my brother's copy of the Specials LP when I spent a week with him while he was in college. I had bought the "This Are 2 Tone" LP a couple weeks earlier. And thus began my 30+ year love of ska.

Man at C&A and Colocally like this.
  6. Colocally

1983 is here and so are the Higsons!!

Oh, is that silence I hear? Yeah, poor Higsons, this is their second and last single on Two Tone.
    Released on CHS TT 24 on Feb 7 1983, this didn't reach the charts and is mostly forgotten today.
    Run Me Down was backed with Put The Punk Back Into Funk (Parts 1&2), this was also released on 12" with a long version and instrumental short version on the A Side and the same B Side.
    7"
    [​IMG]
    12"
    [​IMG]

Man at C&A likes this.
  7. Colocally

We can't leave today without a hit, so we go back to Madness with their follow up to Our House, the majestic Tomorrows just another day/Madness is all in the mind.
    This entered the charts on 19 Feb 83 and got in the top 10 at no8 staying around for 9 wks.
    [​IMG]
    This was classed as a double A Side, but I only recall hearing Tomorrow on the radio at the time. This song was another sign of Madness' growing maturity and a deserved hit.
    There was a 12" version too, which added Blue Beast (Warp Mix) and Tomorrow's Just Another Day with Elvis Costello on Lead Vocals!

[​IMG]

LoveYourLife and beccabear67 like this.
  8. Colocally

Elvis Costello's version is totally different, very Jazzy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I never saw many of the great picture sleeves back in the day, I did (and do) have the first four Nutty Boys comic-fanzines though! I remember seeing those romance photo comics around too; there was channel 4 teen serial titled S.W.A.L.K. with Nicola Cowper, and Prunella Scales was the photo comic advice lady who would appear in a comic type bubble to tell her how to handle situations photo comic style. I thought I'd miss Saxa more but Magoogan was really good!

I never came across The Higsons until a CD compilation much later, but I did hear the Swinging Cats, and there was a Canadian station (maybe a University affiliated one) that played that Boiler-room rape Dakar and Specials record. There was a mini west coast 2-tone inspired scene out here in Western Canada just as it was dying in England, groups here were Ska-Boom and The Villains. I think Eastern Canada had The Shuffle Demons? The Villains had an LP. This was before I heard Fishbone, but they were great when they came along too, I thought maybe they had some connections to the San Francisco group The Bus Boys as Party At Ground Zero seemed a bit like a sequel to D-Day and Did You See Me by the BBs. I guess this is all classified as 'third wave' or something alongside the Bosstones and Goldfinger?

10. Colocally

Very interesting to hear.

I had no idea Saxa wasn't around as much on the 3rd album.

11. Colocally

The Beat get another HIT single!!
    FEET 17 entered the charts on April 30 1983 getting to the dizzy heights of No3 in the charts during its' 11 week chart run.
    This was of course, the 1983 remix of the 1980 album track Can't Get Used To Losing You, which was backed by Spar Wid Me. The 12" had extended versions naturally.
    [​IMG]
    I think there were no paper Go Feet labels left, so they just used blue and silver injection labels for this release. Obviously Arista didn't want to go to too much expense.
    [​IMG]
    A deserved hit and it would have probably been even bigger if released back in 1980 although I am glad they didn't. It would have put The Beat on a route that they didn't want to go on. They would have been leaned on to produce more like this. (A bit like UB40 with Red Red Wine).

Spar Wid Me
    English Beat - spar wid me

12. Colocally

The question I asked at the time was, "why are they promoting a track that is three years old?" The answer came two weeks later when What Is Beat BEAT 6 was released. On the back of the hit single, it got to a respectable N0 10 in the charts and stayed in the charts for 13 weeks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was later rereleased in a different cover.
    [​IMG]

This version has a totally revised tracklist, but does include the missing single Hit It.
    The English Beat* - What Is Beat?

I find there are usually distinct reasons for a "Best Of", either the group is over, are changing labels, or are putting a full stop to a part of their career. With Madness, it was the latter, as I find (with exceptions) the singles that came after Complete Madness are a little maturer than what came before. With The Beat, it was sadly the first option, soon the band would be splitting up and forming bands like General Public and Fine Young Cannibals, before over time, reforming in various ways to go on the "oldies" circuit. There is however one more single, and that was added to What Is Beat.

beccabear67 likes this.
  13. Colocally

July 2 The Beat entered the chart with their last single, it was from both SBS and What Is Beat, and it was Ackee 1-2-3, backed by Monkey Murders, this was on FEET 17, unlike Can't Get Used To Losing You, this only got as far as 54 for 2 weeks and that was it.

From what came next with the splinter groups it was obvious that The Beat had more to give, but the record buying public just wasn't that interested. General Public would have a few minor hits, Fine Young Cannibals would, from 1985 til the early 90s have a run of hit singles.

[​IMG]
    As with most singles there was a 12" this one included the US remix of I Confess instead of Monkey Murders.
    Like the last single, there was only plastic labels, the Go-Feet paper labels were all gone and it wasn't worth re-ordering them. Paper labels were used on the 12" singles.

14. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I think that was the first Beat CD I ever had. I don't think anything else was available in the format when it came out, or maybe just as a pricey import, but I had all the vinyl LPs anyway which sound great (though I did eventually get their CD versions too anyway). :cool:

15. Colocally

It seemed like dependent on the region, you either got a variant of the UK or US album. I would love to find the UK with the bonus record, another regret was not buying it at the time. I don't see me ever finding one over here though.

16. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

The hits album predated the band splitting, they still gigged and did outdoor stadiums down list from people like David Bowie.

I can only guess that it had felt like a natural end by then, and so it was.

17. Colocally

Wings Of A Dove entered the charts on 20 Aug 83 and made no2 beaten to the top spot by UB40 with Red Red Wine and stayed in the charts for 10 weeks.
    Adding a gospel choir backing, made the songs stand out from their other songs, and there seemed to be a lot going on in the arrangement with even a steel drum band. Very uplifting, fun song, not a personal favourite, but not one I would skip either.

[​IMG]
    B side was Behind the 8 Ball, with the 12" there was the obligatory extended version of the A side, plus another B side One's Second Thoughtlessness.

LoveYourLife likes this.
  18. Colocally

Two ToneCHS TT25 was The Special AKA with Racist Friend/Bright Lights which entered the charts on Sept 3 83 and got to no35 for 5wks, which was a step up from their last single. A 12" had instrumental versions of both tracks on the other side.
    [​IMG]
    The song deals with Jerry Dammers' initial breakthrough with The Specials and how everyone wanted to be his friend, so he literally went through his address book crossing out names of anyone who was racist, to try and whittle down how many "friends" he had.

LoveYourLife likes this.
  19. Colocally

On 26 November 1983, Two Tone records released a compilation album which celebrated the last 5 years, This Are Two Tone was a multi artist release with all the major artists covered.

A side
    The Special AKA - Gangsters
    Madness - Madness
    The Selecter - On My Radio
    The Beat - Tears of a Clown
    The Specials - Rudi, A Message to You
    The Selecter - Too Much Pressure
    The Bodysnatchers - Too Experienced
    The Beat - Rankin Full Stop
    The Specials - Too Much Too Young

B side
    The Selecter - The Selecter
    The Specials - Stereotype
    The Swinging Cats - Mantovani
    The Specials - Do Nothing
    Rico & The Special AKA - Jungle Music
    Rhoda Dakar & The Special AKA - The Boiler
    The Specials - Ghost Town

It is Strange that Madness only got one song, whereas The Beat got both sides of their single on there. Nevertheless a pretty good selection, although I would have probably left off The Boiler and put Rat Race on instead, and maybe forgot about The Swinging Cats and put another Bodysnatchers song, probably Let's Do Rocksteady.
    Came in either a blue or pink sleeve.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

A really simple cover, but having all the labels laid out like that is just so special I think. Again, a record I always wanted but just didn't get around to getting, superseded by other compilations but I would buy one in an instant if I saw one now.

Man at C&A likes this.
  20. LoveYourLife

LoveYourLife Forum Resident

In my Top 3 Madness tracks of all time. 1983 was a great year for pop music in my book and the UK charts seemed to be on fire that summer especially and then this came out and capped it all off around Aug/Sept. My 7" single has a different cover to the one shown.

21. Colocally

Yes, there was also an embossed version.

[​IMG]

and a picture disc.
    [​IMG]

22. LoveYourLife

LoveYourLife Forum Resident

That's the one...

Colocally likes this.
  23. Colocally

The follow up to Wings Of a Dove came in November, and was the very beautiful The Sun And The Rain. It entered the charts on November 5 and managed to get the no5 for 10 weeks in the chart.

[​IMG]
    Backed by Fireball XL5, the 12" had a longer version of the A side and the additional track My Girl (Live).

This was a standalone single in the UK, although added to the US version of their next album.

Man at C&A likes this.
  24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I have The Higsons - Run Me Down 45! I like it. One of the most difficult to find 2 Tone singles.

Colocally likes this.
  25. Colocally

That was the end of 1983, the next release entered the charts on 11 Feb 1984 and was Michael Caine which was a No11 hit and was in the charts for 10 weeks. Sung by Chas, this seemed to be going in that sombre direction that the last release was heading. Written about the troubles in Ireland, and with a sample of Michael Caine used throughout the song.
    [​IMG]
    Backed with I You Think There Is Something, the 12" added an extended version of the A side, to the normal version and the B Side.

Man at C&A likes this.