Hey You Rude Boy! It's the Two Tone and related thread (release by release).

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Colocally, May 14, 2018.

1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

One of the first CD'S I ever bought!
    Being as it was an import, I think I paid like 15 bucks for it!
    Still have it!

2. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

Oh... I'm in tears with this thread. Fantastic and amazing music here!
    :yikes:

3. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

Ahhhh, I can't get too much "Too Much Pressure". The skank is on!

4. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

How about Rude Boy and the Ska-Tastics? ;)

OneStepBeyond and danielbravo like this.
  5. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

I have that - it's a wonderful compilation. But things of this nature do unfortunately tend to miss off a key track... Mine cost me £1, I think - it was from a charity shop. Last time I looked (would have been no more than a couple of years ago) it was still very cheap over here on Amazon. Not much more than I paid, if you don't count the p&p.

Colocally likes this.
  6. OneStepBeyond

Definitely one of my favourites of the early Two Tone singles... by the time this came out, I must have been wondering how many more bands like this we were going to be treated to! I have great memories of sticking the speakers of my record player next to the open window and blaring this out into the garden - happy to run back in the house to flip the single over. :D But it had no centre in it and we had to use these flimsy adaptors, so stacking it on the autochanger was out of the question.

Listening to this, these days. things become more apparent to me - like the change of rhythm during the chorus... a clever device to grab and hold the attention. Classic!

7. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys Thread Starter

Yes. I haven’t actually got this cd but intend to order a copy this week. Gonna cost about $7-$8 with sniping to Canada. The shipping costs as much as the cd. :D

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  8. OneStepBeyond

What a great choice for the album's 'title' track. My favourite things about this recording are the bassline (they were always excellent in the songs by these bands anyway) and the 'call and response' vocals. Nice, nifty guitar riffs too...

giantleech and danielbravo like this.
  9. Colocally

Talking about how things can become apparent I only realised today that they re-recorded Too Much Pressure for the album. That’s what happens when you play them back to back for once.

10. Colocally

With regards to the auto changer. If you don’t put the arm over that holds the records in place it will just play the record over and over. I guess it’s too late to tell you this now though ;)

11. OneStepBeyond

I remember the mag very well... they still pop up on Ebay, as you might expect.... I only got about half a dozen of them in total, including the Bad Manners one - which is fitting for this thread! That had two tracks and one did later appear on an album - whether it was a different version or mix, I didn't notice at the time and so couldn't say now. Although not a Two Tone band, they did appear on tour with the others who were and on the Dance Craze album as we've already seen. I'm sure we will come to them properly, before too long. :) I still have a couple of them (although it's two copies of the same one... it has a Thin Lizzy track that is hard to find...)

I had not hear this version of the Selecter track though - good one! :righton:

giantleech and Colocally like this.
  12. Jimbo912

Jimbo912 Forum Resident

We 2-Toned our way thru college in the late 70s,early 80s at The University of Rochester with The Beat,The Specials,The Selector,Madness and Bad Manners

13. OneStepBeyond

As long as it's adjusted to 'set down' in the correct place... I used to fiddle with the setting and get it to play the second track on an EP, that way, sometimes. :D Ah, that's ok if you don't want to play the other side though...

14. OneStepBeyond

This is going to take some time to read... I'm a bit limited in that way tonight - have to be up for work very early once again. So I'll come back to it tomorrow night and no doubt will have many things to refer to in it. This is going to make for some great reading! :righton:

Colocally likes this.
  15. OneStepBeyond

I know the first time I heard it... when it got to a certain couple of lines, my face dropped and expression would have made anyone present ask "What's happened?"

I still find it very hard-hitting and only heard it the last time this afternoon, on the These Are Two Tone compilation.

I'm not sure people would really have a problem with it if they were forewarned - personally, I would definitely not post it without stating in the post that some could find it very upsetting listening. It wouldn't have anywhere near the impact for a first-time listener, I'm sure, to say what it is about before they hear it. So this is not an easy one...

Mbe likes this.
  16. OneStepBeyond

The first bit.. and others later on... reminds me of The (English) Beat, as much as anything... :shh: Dave Wakeling isn't guesting on vocals, is he? :D

17. OneStepBeyond

I didn't notice this, either...

18. Colocally

This single is actually about a minute shorter than the album.

andybeau and OneStepBeyond like this.
  19. OneStepBeyond

That rings a bell, actually... I think it was something to do with a section that is 'omitted' on the single, compared to the album version. I'll have to check if I still have a copy of that single, tomorrow.

20. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Scoobypedia says they're based on The Specials, but doesn't list the voice actors. Martha Quinn also appears in that episode, playing herself as a record store owner.

21. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

During my daily walkabout yesterday I pondered this, with regards to my own point of view.
    My introduction to both The Beat and The Specials was from 102.1FM cfny the spirit of radio, in beautiful downtown Brampton ON. Of all of the 2 Tone artists, which received lotsa airplay on the station, I was drawn to both of their debut albums the most. I found a contrast in the style of each. To me, The Beat seemed more polished in the their presentation, while The Specials seemed a little bit more rough around the edges. However, in the end both debut albums are great.

giantleech and Colocally like this.
  22. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

I grew up outside the UK and the United States, so my exposure to the 2 Tone material wasn't on the radio. The local Ska scene here was underground, so you know of these bands for the classic method: exchange/trade of tapes and imported vinyl. That's how I got to know The Specials. Madness, The Selecters and The English Beat. It was not until 1981 that we saw here a vinyl of local manufacture of these bands.
    My first purchase was The Specials (the first album) and Madness (One Step Beyond) if I remember correctly in 1981. Then it was that the rest came
    available
    Then a local scene appeared with bands that follow the same scheme of the groups associated with 2 Tone records and that was simply fantastic ! (still survive at least two of those bands at present)
    Many of these singles shown here never reached to the music stores here, you could get to hear from collections of some friend and then you recorded them in the now "old cassettes" If you liked this music then you had to do a wide search /exchange work for some albums that were only available through import stores (one of the delights that I miss from the pre-Internet era)
    So when many of these compilations appeared, I was able to fill the spaces in my collection. I still have old cassettes, vinyls in my collection and they are complemented with CDs.

My favorite band is Madness but I really like The Specials, including some of their most contemporary releases.

I hope with more time to give my opinions of some releases published here! :righton:

Good Vibes !

23. Colocally

Talking of The Specials...

On 27 Oct 1979, The Specials released their second single, called now "The Specials", they bracketed "Featuring Rico" to highlight the trombone of Rico Rodriguez who with Dick Cuthell on trumpet was to be unnoficial members for the next couple of years.
    The A side was a cover version of the Dandy Livingston song, A Message For You Rudy, this was backed by an original song called Nite Club. This single got to No.10 and was in the charts for 14 weeks.

[​IMG]

It is kind of strange that it took three releases before The Specials capitalised on the success of Gangsters and the setting up of Two Tone. Quite magnanimous of them actually to highlight their labelmates and friends before releasing their own follow up.

24. Colocally

B side, Nite Club.

25. Colocally

Original by Dandy Livingstone