Hey young people! Do you listen to SACD?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by aorecords, Apr 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GhostEMP

GhostEMP Member

This is rather ignorant of different situations people find themselves in. Don't think an explanation is needed either.

StuJM84 likes this.
  2. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

I have a SACD player... but not a single disk, all vinyl.

aorecords likes this.
  3. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

I'm 38. I have all of the Stones SACD/CD digipacks from the early 2000s. Bought most of them when they were released, a few used over the years. The CD layer sounds great!

I listen to CDs, Vinyl and stream (streaming is usually done when I'm doing some kind of work around the house, otherwise I like to listen to my CDs if I can).

aorecords likes this.
  4. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Late Gen X'er.
    Because my musical and band taste lies more in the heavier side of the music, I don't see my favorite bands released in that format, but in order to get a decent standalone CD player into my music system I opted for OPPO BDP103 to cover all my needs and formats. So far, don't regret it at all even with the few SACDs I have.

5. New Flock of Dimes album. Not on SACD.
    New Tomahawk. Not on SACD.
    Recent PJ Harvey reissues. Not on SACD.
    Recent Neil Young reissues. Not on SACD.
    New Mogwai album. Not on SACD.

/\ all recent purchases by me.

SACD may not be 'dead' but it's a dead-end format tailored to particular releases or those releases favoured by a particular demographic.

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  6. Gabzi Nemo

Gabzi Nemo Forum Resident

I’m a zoomer myself. I mainly listen to tracks on YouTube or the radio. I occasionally spin a vinyl, but I never use any SACDs

aorecords likes this.
  7. justanotherhifienthusiast

justanotherhifienthusiast Forum Resident

the way the original poster presented the question shows me that boomers are ignorant of the real world. were he not a boomer and/or could put himself into the average zoomer or millenial's shoes, he would know that sacd is prohibitively expensive to get into. importing the majority of current sacd's from japan will cost upwards of 40-60 dollars per album, and now the older releases are rare and collectable now.

clueless old codger.

anyway to answer your question, no, I am not into sacd's but only because its far too expensive to curate a decent sized library to enjoy the medium.

8. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

Ive got a couple of Universal Blu ray players for spinning blu ray video/audio sacd s & dvd video n audio...get one both in stereo and surround sound!
    Oppo Sony etc...

Sterling1 likes this.
  9. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Don't know about it. Too expensive. Never heard it. Sounds like CDs. No interesting SACD titles. No equipment to play it. These are a few of the reasons some audiophiles here have not embraced SACD, as it appears from responses on the matter; and, all of this suggests the potential market for SACD, as well as record producers who have skipped on SACD, have perceptions about SACD which are preventing popular SACD indulgence; and thus, this has precluded pleasure of the medium to those who have had at some point the wherewithal or fate to have heard SACD, finding it attractive enough to make a place for it in their systems. I am one of those people. Having heard multi-channel SACD I find I like how it tastes. And comparing and contrasting its taste to other recorded media, those other formats sound like a Coke that has gone flat, lost its fizz. So, for me and others of any age, the SACD experience is a pleasure likely to remain limited to a relatively small selection of titles; but, WOW, do those titles shine, like The Eagles Hotel California in 5.1 SACD, which demonstrates the medium's appeal in spades.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    Audiowannabee and ggjjr like this.
  10. wingram

wingram Well-Known Member

Very well stated. I have also learned to embrace the awesomeness of 2 channel SACD - not as thrilling as a well executed multi channel - but still a pretty special experience. I have found that with TIDAL having eliminated the need to buy 'everything' - I can afford to spend a little more on a small treasure trove of SACDs.

Audiowannabee and Sterling1 like this.
  11. Fifth-Chord

Fifth-Chord VG+

I have two adult kids. My youngest is a GenZ. She has no idea what internet forums are much less this one. She has no physical media except for two framed records in storage that used to be on her wall before she moved out. She knows what a CD is but would have no idea what a SACD is.

Oldest is a millennial. She wouldn't remember that I've told her about SACDs before. She does have a few CDs, a few records, and she appreciates music much more than her sister but still lives with bluetooth speakers and streaming.

I'm GenX. Bought an SACD player in 2004ish. I bought/listened to the 7.1 DVDs and SACDs whenever I could afford them from BestBuy. I sold them for rent money but I still have the the player (Pioneer) and bought a couple over the last few years. I'd buy them now when I see them. Micheal Brecker's Pilgrimage sounds fantastic!

Audiowannabee and Sterling1 like this.
  12. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm in the micro-generation between X and Millennials. I recently turned 41. I suspected young people weren't buying SACDs but I don't know. That's why I asked.

Also, from what I can gather from young people on the forum, no, most of them are not listening to SACD. There have been a couple that said they have a few.

patient_ot and Sterling1 like this.
  13. justanotherhifienthusiast

I have a few, mostly for albums I deemed it worthy enough to buy them. I paid $30-40USD each for them, though. It would be unfeasible to try to build a collection of SACD's in 2021, I would wind up spending hundreds of dollars a month. I am 22 years old, I don't have that kind of money right now. I've found the market is a collector market now, some albums go for 70 or more dollars due to being out of print and the whole collector mentality of niche markets.

GhostEMP, displayname and aorecords like this.
  14. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

What makes you think you must spend hundreds of dollars a month. Is someone holding a gun to your head?

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

my son does and he's young!

aorecords likes this.
  16. Rodant Kapoor

Rodant Kapoor Forum Resident

I'm not a youngster, I just turned 50, but I can barely afford CDs, much less SACDs :evil:
    Seriously though, I wouldn't mind hearing them, but I know of no one in my circle that plays SACDs.

aorecords likes this.
  17. justanotherhifienthusiast

Because I like collecting music. I buy several records on vinyl format a month. Sometimes I wind up spending hundreds. I couldn't help myself if I started to also collect SACD. I can't afford to be buying into two different formats not when I'm also having to save money for my first house, paying off my student loans, and trying to acquire bigger, and better high end audio equipment.

aorecords likes this.
  18. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

OK, so you have a household budget which has committed discretionary income to existing hobby interests which you do not want to abandon; thus, precluding indulgence in SACD.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  19. justanotherhifienthusiast

It's not that simple. My SACD player (a really nice sony one) stopped reading SACD's only a month after I got it, and I abandoned plans to acquire satellite speakers for the 5 channel (the reason to get SACD's, really) and it irked me that for the price of a SACD I could get a really nice vintage record, one with a huge sleeve with lots of nice looking artwork to look at. By comparison, SACD's (at $40-50 each) seem like a scam, theyre just this tiny jewel case and a cheaply made disc. I collect physical media for the tactile nature, I never found CD's as tactile as actual records. I own 3 record players so I'm already heavily vested in analog. I'm not spending another $500-$1k on a good SACD again.

20. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Sorry about your bad luck.

21. John Beasley

John Beasley Paul McCartney's illegitimate son

22. thebisch

thebisch Forum Resident

This is exactly what got me out of "high end" and back to regular people gear. From B&W Matrix, Meridian, Cary, Pass, Krell etc. to vintage Polk, Yamaha HT receiver, ATI amp, etc. I also use tone controls now too. I am much happier now than ever when listening to music, music I WANT to listen to.

GhostEMP, Eigenvector and Sterling1 like this.
  23. GhostEMP

GhostEMP Member

An important factor that many in their short-sightedness tend to forget.

dwilpower likes this.
  24. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I’m generation X and I have never listened to an SACD with exception to one hybrid SACD of “The Downward Spiral” by Nine Inch Nails. Even with that one, I have only heard the regular cd layer since I have never owned an SACD player.

25. Bill Larson

Bill Larson Forum Resident

I would imagine that literally 99.9% of people of any age have never even heard of SACD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.