Hi-Q Supercuts - EMI classical 180g LP reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OE3, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OE3

OE3 Senior Member Thread Starter

Quietly launched last year, this outfit has produced some very fine-sounding disks. All titles cut at Abbey Road Studios from the original stereo analogue master tapes with a Neumann VMS80 lathe fed an analogue pre-cut signal from a specially adapted Studer A80 tape deck with additional playback head. Pressed on 180-gram vinyl on original EMI presses at The Vinyl Factory in Hayes, England. Here is a list of titles issued so far.
    • J.S. Bach: Violin Concerto in A minor + Double Concerto in D minor + Violin Concerto in E Major
      Yehudi Menuhin (violin and conductor); Robert Masters Chamber Orchestra
      Yehudi Menuhin (violin and conductor); Christian Ferras; Bath Festival Chamber Orchestra (double concerto)
      Produced and engineered by Peter Andry and Robert Gooch. The Bach A minor and E minor Concertos were recorded at Kingsway Hall on October 7 & 8, 1958, and the Double Concerto was recorded on July 8, 1959 at Kingsway Hall.
    • Beethoven: Concerto for Violin, Cello and Piano in C Major, Op. 56
      David Oistrakh; Sviatoslav Richter; Mstislav Rostropovich
      Herbert von Karajan / Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra
      Produced by Peter Andry in 1970.
    • Elgar: Introduction and Allegro for strings, Op. 47 + Serenade in E minor, Op. 20
      Vaughan Williams: Fantasia on a theme by Thomas Tallis + Fantasia on 'Greensleeves'
      Sir John Barbirolli / Sinfonia of London, Allegri String Quartet
      Produced by Victor Olof and engineered by Harold Davidson and Neville Boyling (Tallis).
      This famous LP was recorded at the Kingsway Hall, London on May 10-11, 1962, except for the Tallis Fantasia which was recorded in the sonorous acoustic of the medieval Temple Church in the City of London a week later. The latter venue was suggested by the American composer and conductor Bernard Herrmann, a friend and admirer of Barbirolli since his years in New York. From Herrmann's website: Herrmann insisted that ‘it must be done in a stone building not a studio’. So Herrmann suggested the Temple Church. The recording session was started at midnight to avoid traffic noise. According to Ursula Vaughan Williams (the composer’s widow): 'Coats and bags and thermos flasks were piled round the effigies of Crusader Knights. Bernard was there, listening to the balance, listening to the music, and the resulting record is by far the best ever made of the work.'
    • Grieg: Music for 'Peer Gynt'
      Ilse Hollweg (sop) ; Sir Thomas Beecham / Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Beecham Choral Society
      Recorded at Studio No. 1, Abbey Road in 1955 and 1957.
    • Holst: The Planets
      André Previn / London Symphony Orchestra
      Produced and engineered by Christopher Bishop and Christopher Parker, respectively. Recorded at London's Kingsway Hall on September 28 & 29, 1973.
    • Mendelssohn: Violin Concerto in E minor, Op. 64
      Max Bruch: Violin Concerto No. 1 in G minor, Op. 26
      Yehudi Menuhin; Efrem Kurtz / Philharmonia Orchestra (Mendelssohn)
      Yehudi Menuhin; Walter Susskind / Philharmonia Orchestra (Bruch)
      Produced by Victor Olof and engineered by Christopher Parker (Mendelssohn) and Lawrance Collingwood and Robert Arnold (Bruch). Recorded at No. 1 Studio, Abbey Road in 1958 (Mendelssohn) and at London’s famous Kingsway Hall in 1956 (Bruch).
    • Orff: Carmina Burana (Cantiones profanae)
      Sheila Armstrong (sop); Gerald English (ten); Thomas Allen (bar); André Previn / London Symphony Orchestra, The Clement Danes Grammar School Boys Choir, London Symphony Orchestra Chorus
      Produced and engineered by Christopher Bishop and Christopher Parker, respectively, in 1975.
    • Sibelius: Symphony No.5 in E-flat major, Op. 82 + Finlandia, Op. 26
      Herbert von Karajan / Philharmonia Orchestra
      Produced by Walter Legge and Engineered by Douglas Larter (Finlandia engineered by Harold Davidson). Recorded on 20, 21 & 23 September 20, 21 & 23, 1960 (Symphony No.5) and January 5 & 6 1959 (Finlandia) at Kingsway Hall.
    • Arthur Sullivan: Pineapple Poll
      Charles Mackerras / Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
      Produced by Peter Andry. Recorded at Studio No. 1, Abbey Road on November 23, 1960.
    • Tchaikovsky: Overture '1812', Op. 49 + Marche Slave, Op. 31 + Fantasy
      Overture 'Romeo & Juliet'
      Andre Previn / London Symphony Orchestra
      Produced and engineered by Christopher Bishop and Christopher Parker, respectively, in 1973.
    • ANDRE PREVIN'S MUSIC NIGHT
      Andre Previn: Signature Tune
      Walton: Orb and Sceptre March
      Dukas: The Sorcerer’s Apprentice - Scherzo
      Albinoni (arr. Giazotto): Adagio in G minor
      Humperdinck: Overture from 'Hansel and Gretel'
      Ravel: La Valse
      Dvorak: Slavonic Dance No. 9, Op. 72, No. 1
      Andre Previn / London Symphony Orchestra
      Produced and engineered by Christopher Bishop and Christopher Parker, respectively, at Kingsway Hall on December 15, 1974 and May 19 & 20, 1975. When legendary record producer John Culshaw left Decca in 1967 to become Head of Music at BBC Television, he inaugurated and supervised several series of Andre Previn's Music Night, in which Previn would talk informally direct to camera and then turn and conduct the London Symphony Orchestra, whose members were dressed not in evening clothes but in casual sweaters or shirts. The programme attracted unprecedented viewing figures for classical music in the early and mid 1970s in the U.K.

Attached Files:

2. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Do you have any of these?

I've been thinking of getting some, the VW is considered definitive, I have it on a Barbirolli box set.

3. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

Sure wish they wouldn't have distorted the cover art to splat their logo all over it.

jusbe and fitzrik like this.
  4. OE3

Two more for September:
    • Mussorgsky: Pictures From An Exhibition (orch. Ravel) + Stravinsky:
      Firebird Suite (1919 version)
      Riccardo Muti / The Philadelphia Orchestra
      Produced and engineered by Christopher Bishop and Michael Gray,
      respectively. Recorded at the Old Metropolitan Opera House in
      Philadelphia in 1979.
    • Rodrigo: Concierto di Aranjuez + Fantasia para un Gentilhombre
      Angel Romero (guitar); André Previn / The London Symphony Orchestra
      Produced by the Suvi Raj Grubb and engineered by Michael
      Gray at Abbey Road’s No.1 Studio on 28-30 March 1977.

5. Ramos Pinto

Ramos Pinto New Member

A warning about the Muti Mussorgsky: the hall was very reverberant in that recording, I have the original pressing and the too wet sound obscures some of the delicacy of the interplay. Approach with caution, I say.

There are 3 versions of 'Pictures' just in my paltry Mussorgsky collection that are sonically superior to this one including the Szell on Odyssey Columbia (but I think my "keeper" was the Ashkenazy on London . . . and mainly for the performance).

6. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

The Romero looks interesting.

7. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

I bought this off Amazon to compare to my UK EMI color dog, and HI-Q reissue to me sounded better in every way(most notably in dynamics).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003P4XLN6

[​IMG]

EddieT likes this.
  8. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

So these are 100% analog pressings? Nothing digital in the production chain? That's GREAT! I never felt tempted to buy any of them because I always thought they were digital sourced or some digital step was used during production of these new LP's. I didn't even know they had 100% analog capability at Abbey Road these days...

I'll give them a try now! :righton:

I wonder why this information is not being explicitly declared on the packaging and on the description pages of major online stores where these are being sold. It's a major decision factor for many vinyl buyers, and I'm sure they are aware of this...

9. OE3

Menuhin

Just opened and now spinning Menuhin's Bach Concertos LP. What sound! Lifelike, transparent, fantastic hall resonance, not constricted or grainy, killer dynamics. Pressing quality is excellent, no engineer etching in dead wax, just machine-stamped matrix. Two thumbs up.

Attached Files:

10. SergioRZ

I was going to order Beethoven Triple Concerto from Elusivedisc or Acoustic Sounds but both have it Out Of Stock... some sources online have this on pre-order with a target delivery time for November 11. Probably a repress?

11. SergioRZ

12. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Ugh! My wallet's gonna hate me! I can't wait to order a couple of these. They look excellent!

dan c

13. wlwh

wlwh New Member

how does the Previn 1812/Romeo compare with the MFSL?

14. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I have the original Ricardo Muti Pictures at an Exhibition and the MoFi reissue. This is my favorite interpretation of this work and IMO the sound is absolutely first rate on both the original and the MoFi. I have been cherry picking these titles and have about half of them. I will certainly be getting the Muti on the chance that it may sound even better than my other two versions.

15. OE3

July new releases

Two new releases coming next month:

1. Beethoven: Symphony No. 7 in A major, Op. 92 • Rameau (arr. Klemperer): Gavotte with six variations
    New Philharmonia Orchestra / Otto Klemperer
    Recorded on October 12 & 13, 1968 at Studio No. 1, Abbey Road, London.
    No engineer credits given in listing.
    Link

2. Ravel: Boléro • Daphnis et Chloe, Suite No. 2 • Pavane pour une infante defunte
    London Symphony Orchestra / Andre Previn
    Recorded on June 26, 1979 (Boléro) at the Kingsway Hall, London, and July 14, 1978 at Studio No. 1, Abbey Road, London.
    No engineer credits given in listing.
    Link

Gramophone review by Ivan March, 1980

'A first class coupling in every way. The recording is splendid. Boléro is given a whole side to itself and the climax is superbly caught, full and clear... The record was made in the Kingsway Hall and its unique acoustic is even more impressively demonstrated in the Daphnis and Chloe suite, a highly distinguished performance in every way... The recording throughout shows that analogue techniques can still offer the most sophisticated detail, without loss of colour and richness of texture.'

Attached Files:

16. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident

Just received the Carmina Burana. Super quiet vinyl and great sound. Will be ordering more from this label

Carlos Hernan Gonzalez and LeeS like this.
  17. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Great to see Abbey Road making all-analog LPs. :winkgrin:

18. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident

Yes it is. Would love to see some Jazz and their production line.

LeeS likes this.
  19. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Pity they can't do it for The Beatles but check out the Nick Drake Pink Moon reissue.

LeeS likes this.
  20. gubarenko

gubarenko Guy From Russia

21. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I'm not sure what Abbey Road used to cut the Radiohead Best Of Box but it sounds outstanding.

22. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I have been loving these records! I had tried classical music before with things like top 100 recordings or the only classical album you’ll ever need type compilations. Nothing has really caught my attention before these. I think it’s a combination of excellent recordings, great pressings and that the music is in bite size pieces which I can digest and enjoy instead of a 79 min cd where it all starts to roll into one. Maybe this says more about my attention span than I would like? They are also pressing XRCD’s of some titles.

23. gubarenko

gubarenko Guy From Russia

received Harold In Italy today. Will spin it later, but from the first looks - i don't like jacket, it's very poorly done.

24. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

How did it sound?

25. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

I wish I could share the enthusiasm for these that others have been expressing. I've only tried one so far, but was very, very disappointed. It is the Richter/Maazel Brahms Piano Concerto #2--without exaggeration, I believe it is the worst sounding classical recording (from the stereo era forward, that is) I own, with hard, glassy, and unnatural sound, especially in the piano. Now, it could be that the original recording has unusually bad sonics, but why would an audiophile company choose to release it (without any sort of warning) in that case? At the time, I wondered what others thought, and the only review I found online (itself a very discouraging sign) was very negative, comparing it poorly to an original release. Has anyone else here heard this particular album? Also, for those of you who have been happy with the sound of the Hi-Q releases you've bought, do you have anything with which to compare them?

scobb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.