Hi-Q Supercuts - EMI classical 180g LP reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OE3, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

No I haven't heard this one. As I mentioned earlier in the thread I love the ones I do have, however, I admit that I am not an expert in classical music. I thought the vinyl of Carmina Burana was better than the current available EMI CD (I mention this as it’s the only one I can directly compare)!

2. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

Cool. It may well be that either that one or the one I got are exceptions. I did just do another search, and the only review I found of a Hi-Q Supercuts album was by someone in a Naim audio forum about Muti's Pictures at an Exhibition, and his experience was similar to mine. What is far more telling than that review (or quick set of impressions) was the fact that it was the only one I could find, even though this series has been out for several years now. With most audiophile reissue series, you'll find multiple reviews by Mike Fremer and various others, but they just don't exist for anything in this series. The general complaint about audio reviewers is that they seem to be reluctant to give truly bad reviews, so I suspect that might be the cause of the review "blackout." Tellingly, what I did find about these albums were a lot of marketing blurbs quoting from reviews of the original releases!

3. Eddygrundy

Eddygrundy New Member

Hi I bought a super cut (?) Holst planet suite and I was anticipating a super cut however I have to say it crackles all through both sides the actual sound of the lp is not great and frankly nor is the performance . I know this sounds negative but it not the only new heavy weight pressing to have really disappointed me.

4. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

Sorry to hear you were disappointed as well. I've been very happy with the classical reissues I've bought from both ORG and Speakers Corner, but, so far, nothing is convincing me to give Hi-Q Supercuts a second chance.

5. Eddygrundy

Eddygrundy New Member

I also bought an Doors LA woman 180 gram reissue which was also a big disappointment , it sounded ok until the drums where hit hard then they disappeared . My low price 80's lp sounded better but worn (a favourite album) and also (don't shoot me) a re-mastered cd. These lp's cost a lot of money but it seems the quality is as pot luck as it ever was.

6. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

Eddygrundy, when it comes to LP's (or any other format really) it's vital to make clear what is the actual LP you're talking about... there has been more than one 180gr reissue of The Doors L.A. Woman :)

You should always mention the Label/Reissue company name, Catalog number/code, Country were the pressing was made (as written on label) and, if possible, some matrix details...

It's a HUGE mistake to put all 180gr vinyl in the same bag. Not all 180gr vinyl is made to the same quality standards, pressing and mastering quality... you'r disappointment has absolutely nothing to do with vinyl weight ;)

David Ellis likes this.
  7. Eddygrundy

Eddygrundy New Member

Hi Sergio your points are valid and well made but I was only expressing my disappointment at buying expensive vinyl and either it is noisy or appears to be a bad cut and I was not trying to say all heavy weight or audiophile pressings are bad.

8. Eddygrundy

Eddygrundy New Member

I
    will post the info on the doors reissue later.

9. Eddygrundy

Eddygrundy New Member

Hi Sergio the doors reissue is 8122-79865-5 stereo and was made in the E.U but i cannot recall if it was a music on vinyl release or an Electa release there is no more information in the inner sleeve. There is however etched in the lead out groove space on side two the letters "BG".

10. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

Oh yes they can:righton:

11. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

Guys please note that not all Hi-Q releases are all analogue. If you visit their website it gives you the details against each title.

12. SergioRZ

Which Hi-Q LP's are not all analog? Or can you give me one example?

13. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

If you visit their website it gives you details against each title.

14. SergioRZ

I just did, checked some 10 LP's, and all of them say they were cut all analog... that's why I asked for at least one example, I wanted to check it out :)

15. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Maybe we're getting confused with the XRCD releases? The whole point of these releases are that they are meant to be all analogue from the original masters. When we refer to "their" website do you mean this one http://www.riverbankmedia.com/hiq/ ?

16. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

It is. Never equalled.

David Crosby rated it as his favourite piece of music ever not that long ago. Makes sense.

17. Antares

Antares Forum Resident

I happened upon one of these a couple of years ago (the Menuhin Mendelssohn/Bruch) and it turned out to be a GZ Vinyl pressing. Just their matrix code, no sign of an external cut. I'll venture the Abbey Road mastering was to digital which was then sent to GZ.

18. gubarenko

gubarenko Guy From Russia

It's vinyl factory and not GZ. They look similar, but VF pressings better and there's no GZ in the matrix.

19. Christopher Hardy

Christopher Hardy New Member

I have joined the forum to join this discussion. I have just received the Sibelius Symphony No. 2 with the Philharmonia Orchestra conducted by Paul Kletzki on a Hi-Q supercut. I have an original mono LP pressing and will report back on the comparison when I have managed to unite them. One is in another house!

scobb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.