Hi-res Beck: Keep it comin', please!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lil.fred, Dec 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lil.fred

lil.fred Señor Sock Thread Starter

Attention David Geffen! Surely the "Sea Change" SACD is one of the most praised and best-selling hi-res releases so far. And the other Beck albums have a big following and some of them have great sound -- I mean, "Mutations" has lovely, natural, rich sound, and "Midnite Vultures" ought to be a mind blower!

So where are they?

2. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Heartily agree, particularly would love to hear Mutations.

3. vex

vex New Member

Here, here (or is it hear, hear?) Sea Change is a both a landmark and benchmark hi-rez and surround-sound release. I would jump at the chance to see more of Beck's catalog released on M/C SACD or DVD-A!

4. lil.fred

Right on, fellas! ... See, record companies? That's THREE buyers right there!

"Mutations" in surround sound might be incredible; lots of little fiddly bits. But I haven't got a surround sound setup ... maybe it's cheaper just to wrap yourself in plastic and take mushrooms?

5. Brian Cruz

Brian Cruz Forum Resident

I don't have and SACD nor DVD-A player, but considering how much I love this album and Mutations on redbook (both HDCDs, BTW), I now want to buy one just to hear it.

You know, I was reading on the thread about Flaming Lips "Yoshimi..." these past days. Hopefully Midnite Vultures would be freed up the way Yoshimi was. I think MV is a bit dense makes me feel claustrophobic.

6. lil.fred

Re: Re: Hi-res Beck: Keep it comin', please!

Well, there's no rush; there's been no announcement about those titles.

Well, I don't know. There's a lot of compression deliberately used in the mix (not the mastering, AFAIK) of Midnite Vultures, to get that funky early-80s sound. I'm not sure how the SACD would differ but from the fact that people like the LP lots, I think warmer, more "analog" sound would suit Vultures.

7. Brian Cruz

Brian Cruz Forum Resident

Re: Re: Re: Hi-res Beck: Keep it comin', please!

So the LP sounds pretty different.

8. lil.fred

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hi-res Beck: Keep it comin', please!

That's what they say. I don't have it. It was only in print for a short while. Bong Load records, sadly, is no more.

Those must be some crammed grooves. I have the Mutations LP, which is also quite long (even with "Diamond Bollocks" on the enclosed 45) and it sounds great, but is at a very low volume. Probably the lowest-volume LP I own.

9. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Mutations is just a great, great album and sounds great to boot. Mark me down for the SACD....

10. lil.fred

It is a great album -- it profits a lot from the way it hasn't been "overworked." (Which I might say Mr. Godrich did when he came back to produce Sea Change, tho' that's a great album too.)

At the same time, when Mutations came out, people were referring to it almost as a collection of demos, or calling it "spare" or "stripped down" or whatever. Actually, the production is rather intricate and finely tuned. You don't fly Nigel Godrich to LA to have him tape your acoustic demos!

11. lil.fred

By the way, off topic, sort of, but tell me, thread people: what're you listening to at this moment? I've got "The Threepenny Opera" on the CD player.

12. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

How does the 2 channel Sea Change layer sound? I've only heard comments on the surround mix, any comments would be appreciated. :)

13. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

I only have 2 channel but it sounds damn fine to me. Eerily nice.

14. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was

Yep, the 2 channel stereo layer of "Sea Change" on the SACD sounds fantastic..a must buy!!! :cool:

15. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Foo Fighters...The Color and The Shape.....

Sea Change is one of my fave surround discs. I wouldn't mind hearing Odelay in 5.1

16. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

Odelay on SACD. Now that's a must own CD.

Sean

17. Xyzzy

Xyzzy New Member

Sign me up for the Beck catalog on SACD!

One problem with the LP version of Midnite Vultures is that it features an edited version of "Nicotine & Gravy," which might be my favorite cut on the album. Why couldn't they edit "Peaches & Cream" or split it over 2 LPs? The gatefold is fresh, though!

18. mjb

mjb Senior Member

The "Sea Change" DVD-A also includes a number of previously unreleased videos, per a recent notice on Pitchfork...

19. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

Beck's Sea Change dvd-audio details at Pitchforkmedia.com

It's rather worriesome that most music sites like this STILL don't seem to truly know what surround music is and how it can totally change the listening experience. Or that dvd-audio isn't just a dvd with some music on it rather than an almost entirely different format made for high quality music reproduction. But one has to face facts: most people won't give a rat's **** about better-than-CD sound so on a non-audio hobbyist site, why make a big stink about hi-res?

And so because of the above, now I think I finally know why they mention the 5.1 Dolby Digital track first (this used to really irritate me): because that's what most non-audio hobbyist people are familiar with as far as anything related to dvd is concerned. They know that they can just stick it in their dvd player and it will work. And the article does eventually mention the hi-res capability further down (88.2kHz) almost an afterthought; I'll bet so non-hobbyists won't get concerned.

Wow, six videos on this disc. And if past experience tells me anything, Beck's videos will be anything but boring disc filler--other videos I've seen of his before are really wacko/fun eye candy. :thumbsup:

Jeez talking about Beck reminds me of how effen fun it would be to have the Beastie Boys in surround. And they are also good with a camera........

[T]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.