Hi-Res Download News (HDTracks, ProStudioMasters, Pono, etc.) & Software/Mastering Part 12**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 9, 2015.

1. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

discussion stems from linked interview/article with Toby Wright, their production guy/engineer concerning sample rates and bit depth.

2. Amperage

Amperage Forum Resident

I wish - I'd give my left testicle to have my early 90s grunge collection in hi-res.

russk likes this.
  3. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

"Jar Of Flies" would be a great candidate. The original CD isn't awful sounding, but it is somewhat compressed. It's well recorded and I think a great hi-rez transfer with the dynamics fully intact would be outstanding.

4. UncleHalsey

UncleHalsey Forum Resident

Hopefully we'll see a JoF 48/24 version soon. ;)

5. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

Iirc, the vinyl sounded good-I have set with sap...

6. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

I am pretty sure that's incorrect. as far as I know, only 2 studio albums are currently for sale in the U.S. (and yes, they are in 24/44.1). virtually the entire Maiden back catalog is available in 24/96 via Onkyo.

7. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

8. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Good grief now we're shut out of Onkyomusic music aswell. :mad:

9. FlatulentDonkey

FlatulentDonkey Forum Resident

Just had a good customer service experience with High Res Audio.

I had recently bought the Blues Caravan album and discovered that two of the tracks were not full tracks as they cut off at different points. I contacted their technical/customer services team by email who passed it on to the record label to get the new files. Today, less than a week later, I had an email saying that the new files are ready for download.

Well done High Res Audio and Ruf Records as well.

goodiesguy, tmtomh, zikarus and 2 others like this.
  10. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

Take a look at my link I provided earlier. This is the U.S. Onkyo store and all are 24/44.1 except the Rio live album. Can you provide a link that shows them to be any different?

11. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

12. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I ordered Fear of the Dark off the US storefront. Was 24/44.1 with a DR of 6 or so if I remember right.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  13. Mij Retrac

john morris likes this.
  14. HanowarHAIL

HanowarHAIL Forum Resident

I bought Songs From The Big Chair from Pono two weeks ago and was unable to download one track from the album: The Working Hour original mix. I've had a support ticket open for two weeks and they only sent a canned response telling me to do something I told them that I already did in my support ticket. They didn't reply when I added a comment the day the after they responded and I still can't download the track. Has anyone had a similar experience with Pono support?

15. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Every time I had one or more files that didn't download, either the next time I logged out and then logged into PMW (usually the next day), all the files would download again. I think in the next day or so, you'll have the same experience.

16. ServingTheMusic

Tuco, crimsun and jfeldt like this.
  17. agentalbert

Re: Iron Maiden in 24/96 -

I see them listed at 24/96 there, but for Japan only. Would be great if these were uncompressed flat transfers of the master tapes. Anyone know someone in Japan who might get one and let us know?

EDIT: Well, hopes dashed. One of these is "out there", so to speak. So I downloaded two tracks of the 24/96 Powerslave and ran them through the DR Meter:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Filename
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR7 -0.21 dB -8.77 dB Iron Maiden - 03. Losfer Words (Big 'Orra).wav
    DR7 -0.02 dB -8.62 dB Iron Maiden - 04. Flash Of The Blade.wav

Oh well... :mad:

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  18. j3brow

j3brow Forum Resident

That is disappointing. After watching the iron maiden video with the mastering engineers on the preceding page, I had high hopes for excellent hi-res mastering of the Maiden catalog. I hate to judge solely on those numbers but it looks like yet another missed opportunity.

john morris likes this.
  19. agentalbert

Yeah, it is. I've only listened to the two tracks I downloaded on my computer speakers, but the EQ sounds nice. It's all a bit puzzling. Why release the albums in 24/96 in Japan only but 24/44.1 to the rest of the world?

20. Mij Retrac

Sounds like the vinyl reissues from last year are as close as your going to get to hi res reissues.

21. ServingTheMusic

More annoying Sh#t.

Robert Plant's Lullaby...now available at Superhirez in 48/24...was sold at 44.1/24 since last year everywhere else.

22. 007james

007james Forum Resident

This type of thing is annoying, I wish i could dislike this post... no offense to poster....

23. ServingTheMusic

haha. I feel you brother. It is annoying as hell. Not a great sounding album anyway.

24. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Springsteen's most recent live download (8/5/84 Brendan Byrne Arena, East Rutherford, NJ) is available in DSD format. However, there seems to be some confusion as to how this transfer was done. Anyone here check it out and care to comment?

• Recorded live at Brendan Byrne Arena August 5, 1984 with the Record Plant Remote Truck by Toby Scott, assisted by David Bianco, Jim Scott.
    • Transferred from 24 track analog tape to PCM at 24 bit / 192kHz at Sonicraft, Freehold NJ by Plangent Processes. Mixed to DSD from the multitrack reels by Toby Scott at Thrill Hill, April 2015, assisted by Rob Lebret. DSD equipment provided by Gus Skinas of Super Audio Center.
    • Mastered by Adam Ayan at Gateway Mastering, May 2015
    • Photo by: Debra L. Rothenberg / DebraRothenberg.com
    • HD Files are 24 bit / 192 kHz. Also available in DSD - a high resolution audio download format.

john morris likes this.
  25. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Go to the topic thread on this release