Hi-Res Download News (HDTracks, ProStudioMasters, Pono, etc.) & Software/Mastering Part 12**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 9, 2015.

1. htom

htom Senior Member

It was probably no more than a simple file copy to tape, much like a copy made to disk on a computer.
    The issue has always been the integrity of the data. One complaint I was hearing for years was that digital tapes can accumulate data errors in a number of ways: physical damage to the media, poor copying to the media or exposure to enough external energy to actually change data values on the bit level (via heat, light, radiation, cosmic rays?) given enough time. Error checks can alleviate some of this, but when this can happen to the original digital master, there isn't any earlier digital source to go to when there are too many errors to be corrected completely. This was an argument against relying solely on digital media for preserving all your assets.

uzn007 likes this.
  2. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

There's all sorts of error correction baked into these digital formats, so I'm not clear on whether that kind of generational degradation was even possible. With digital, you aren't getting "copies" but clones.

uzn007 likes this.
  3. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes, any uncorrectable error would translate in -at best- drop outs, at worse clicks and other very audible artefacts.
    We know the vast majority of these supposedly "5th digital generation" CDs don't have those.
    Also, CDs pressed in 1983 were sometimes re-pressed from the same digital masters until recently and all these are always digitally identical to one another...

sunspot42 and uzn007 like this.
  4. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Agree. But then we get into the utter and total lunacy of a whole group of "computer audiophiles" who claim to hear differences between CD-R brands, hard drive brands, and even the difference between a track selected via the remote on a CD player and manually. :sigh:

john morris and sunspot42 like this.
  5. Funi

Funi Forum Resident

Seriously??!! :faint:

6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I demand the return of hard-wired remotes! The direct signal to my CD player results in enhanced microdynamics compared to when I use a wireless remote! ;)

7. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

So, um, 70 minutes of the new "Star is Born" soundtrack at 24/48 from HDTracks only sets you back.. $32?

Anybody else remember the howls and crying over Streisand's soundtrack being a dollar higher than usual suggested retail?

sunspot42, HanowarHAIL and uzn007 like this.
  8. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

The original CD release of Keith Richards' Talk Is Cheap is one of the best sounding CDs I own by anyone ever. I'm intrigued if the 30th anniversary remaster released today improves upon it.

9. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

I’m curious why the “new” hi-res Keith Richards “Talk is Cheap” is only 24/44.1.

Was is recorded analog? If so why not capture is at 24/96 at least.

If it’s a digital recording then in that era it would have been 16-Bit 44.1 or 48k. So if it’s a simple file transfer then it is up sampled to 24 bit?

Or if it’s a remaster of a 16/44.1 tape and has passed through analog gear in the new mastering process then again it should at least be recaptured at 24-96

The last option is that it is a digital capture from 10-15 years ago and just tossed out there with no care.

10. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I agree but they avoid that due to accusations of upsampling...
    Any remastering of an original 44.1kHz digital source will be presented in 44.1kHz or 48kHz (see the Rush 2015 remasters).

art and xj32 like this.
  11. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Wut.

Never mind.

sunspot42 likes this.
  12. ServingTheMusic

Google it..there were some psycho's who were absolutely sure about this..doing "demos" at shows..

sunspot42 likes this.
  13. ServingTheMusic

HDTracks..put down the crack pipe...:confused:

PTgraphics and Terry like this.
  14. ServingTheMusic

I wondered the same. As usual ZERO provenance.

It could have been a digital recording, but since it is Keef..methinks a very good chance it as tape.

24/44.1 is the new "hirez"..another con by the music biz..in a long line of many.

TonyCzar likes this.
  15. ServingTheMusic

Avoiding accusations? Since when do they care? There are also numerous remasters of 44.1.Khz digital sources done at 24/96...

16. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

AcousticSounds wants $27.98. It's not like HDTracks rolls their own. They get what (in this case) Interscope gives them.

17. ServingTheMusic

.."rolls their own"..ha, I like that..

18. Funi

Funi Forum Resident

I take your word for this...

19. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

Well 24 bit is higher resolution than 16 bit.

DeanoBee and art like this.
  20. art

art Senior Member

did you listen?

21. ServingTheMusic

not yet..in the cue. I have had the original CD since it came out..

art likes this.
  22. ServingTheMusic

...i guess....:sigh:

23. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Now that you mention it, I remember the green magic markers.

Terry likes this.
  24. ServingTheMusic

:rolleyes: yup...

25. art

art Senior Member

lemme know your thoughts, man. Thank you!

ServingTheMusic likes this.