Hi-Res Download News (HDTracks, ProStudioMasters, Pono, etc.) & Software/Mastering Part 12**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 9, 2015.

1. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

The new hi res ***** Cats by Nilsson sounds good. I had forgotten how trashed his voice was by then. He should have stopped the sessions before blood was covering the microphone for the sake of his future.

art likes this.
  2. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

Help and advice please. Beach Boys Surfin, Holland, Deuce Coupe, All Summer. Should I buy a AP SACD, download the AP DSD or FLAC 24/192? I'm leaning toward SACD and rip to file since I'd own a physical copy. Thank you.

3. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

4. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

THIS WEEK on HDtracks...

Dead & Company - 2 albums
    Goo Goo Dolls - The Audience Is That Way (The Rest of the Show) [Vol. 2] [Live]
    Papa Roach - Who Do You Trust?
    Wayne Shorter - EMANON
    Various Artists - Imagine: John Lennon 75th Birthday Concert

plus much much more...

5. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

Do any of you have a coupon code for HDtracks? I'd like to get that Shorter album, and maybe a few others. Thanks!

6. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

15% off with code
    HDJAN18

….but I do not see Wayne Shorter - EMANON listed.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  7. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

It's not at ProStudioMasters either.

Thanks for the code, though. I have signed up for their emails, but I have never received anything from them.

8. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

I should have added that code is good for NEW titles only,.

9. Jfkaess

Jfkaess It's the music!

I also have signed up for their emails. Several times. And i've been buying from them for at least 5 or 6 years, but i've never gotten a single email, nor a code. I get Prostudiomasters emails a few times a week, and i now use them as my preferred place to get hi-res downloads. I only go to HDTracks if i can't find something anywhere else, but usually i can get most stuff from Prostudiomasters of 7digital. It's their loss.

10. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident

11. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

lpfreak1170 likes this.
  12. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident

AlanDistro likes this.
  13. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

Yeah I was pleasantly surprised, I just finished listening to the entire set and it was a lot of fun. I've had the original CD for forever but haven't listened to it in a while. The live show is fun too, rough around the edges, but fun! With the 15% coupon you can't beat the price/content/quality ratio.

14. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Is it my imagination, or have recent releases over on HDTracks been fairly obscure? It seems like not a lot of either current or formerly mainstream material is seeing high res releases these days. Which is ridiculous, given how cheap it is for labels to package and distribute it.

15. Mickactual

Mickactual Humble indie rock musician

What's even more ridiculous are the prices of what actually is released. Especially for catalog releases. All recording costs have long since been recouped, and there's absolutely zero replication, shipping, or retail space costs on digital media. $17.99 and up for a 24/44.1 digital file is insane. It's all pure profit, and even at 1/3 that price, they'd be making a killing. Then there's the fact that many (most) of these releases are so clipped and brickwalled they're, for all intents and purposes, no better than an MP3. I, like many, have reduced my HDTracks purchases to almost nil. Is this a surprise? OK - I'll get off my soapbox now. :sigh:

16. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

I am right there with you. When I first started getting excited about high resolution audio there was a time when I was probably buying anywhere from 1 to 3 Hi-Rez titles from HD tracks every week. Now I’m lucky if I buy one title every three months.

For most releases the fact that I can typically buy a physical compact disc for 9-10 dollars on average compared to the $17-$24 of HD tracks Is pretty sobering. Also when you consider that the last three or four high resolution titles that I was interested in all came in cd sets that included a Blu-ray often with video for less than the price or equal to the download only HD tracks.

17. HanowarHAIL

HanowarHAIL Forum Resident

If I could buy legal FLAC files AT A REASONABLE PRICE of everything that was released on CD in CD resolution, I would have ditched CDs years ago. I don't understand what the issue is. Why is it frequently cheaper for me to buy CDs from Amazon or other online retailers than to even buy MP3s? I really don't get it.

Vorlon, sunspot42, Brenald79 and 7 others like this.
  18. randian

randian Forum Resident

Maybe it’s the same economic wackiness that leads booksellers to price ebooks higher than physical ones.

FritzL and Terry like this.
  19. JamieLang

JamieLang Forum Resident

"CD resolution" is a silly arbitrary lossy format for a file delivery. IMO.

I can make an argument for 16/48...I can make greater argument for 48khz mp4(AAC) from the 32 or 24bit studio master being the "best quality to size ratio" for phones and streams....with the HDT, basically being the lossless studio master.

20. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I think it's crazy too. I end up buying the CD 9 out of 10 times because it's cheaper than downloading. Makes absolutely no sense.

21. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

THIS WEEK on HDtracks...

Weezer - Weezer (Teal Album)
    Heart - Live in Atlantic City
    Quiet Riot - One Night in Milan
    Wayne Shorter - EMANON
    Miles Davis - Miles in the Sky

plus much much more...

Starwanderer and Panama Jack like this.
  22. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Yep. I happily jumped in head-first many years ago but have become pretty much a spectator at this point. Solely because of the inflated, full-on, department-store retail price (which is not unique to Hi-Res).

As for mastering, thankfully, a few of my "must have" artists have been lucky to receive competent mastering from known engineers. But I've been burned a lot too. I love HD downloads, but it's got stupid problems.

sunspot42, c-eling, Terry and 2 others like this.
  23. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Does anyone know if the HDTracks mastering of Allman Brothers "The 1971 Fillmore East Recordings" is more dynamic than the Blu-Ray stereo? Thanks.

24. Isaac McHelicopter

Isaac McHelicopter Possession is a clue but not the game.

Just quickly checked the first three tracks and the BD looks better. (BD: DR 9, 11, 12, Download: DR9, 10, 11) Numbers aren't everything though, so I listened to a short excerpt. I much prefer the Blu-ray.

hvbias likes this.
  25. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

I own the BD and it is really worth finding. The DR is good and the sound quality excellent

jhm and Isaac McHelicopter like this.