Hi-Res Download News (HDTracks, ProStudioMasters, Pono, etc.) & Software/Mastering Part 12**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 9, 2015.

1. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

One odd thing I noticed is the HDTracks download is larger, the Abbey Road album tracks come out to 1.04 GB. The 24/96 I ripped from the BD is 982 MB. I don't know if that means anything.

I'm using the BD version, sounds a bit better to my ears, the vocals stand out more, just feels more alive. Could just be me though.

2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Could just be different FLAC encoder settings.

marcb, Soundslave and ccbarr like this.
  3. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

Very true, hadn't thought of that. The HDTracks version doesn't sound bad at all, but I just like the sound off the BD. Plus the BD actually worked for me, so I consider myself lucky in that regard.

4. Panama Jack

Panama Jack Forum Resident

Sorry... a bit off topic, but how did you get DVD Audio Extractor to work? Mine kept telling me that it wouldn't work with the BD's copy protection? Did you run through MakeMKV first?

5. Yes, two step....MakeMKV backup, the DVDAE.

Panama Jack likes this.
  6. The HDT mastering is not the same as the 24/96 BR. Read a few posts up....the DR and peaks are different. The DR from the HDT files look like the CD. There could also be EQ differences.

Plan9, patient_ot and JediJoker like this.
  7. Panama Jack

Panama Jack Forum Resident

Figured... just wish makemkv wasn't $50... thanks!!

8. I thought you could due the trial version, and just keep updating the license? I thought that was the case, but if so, learning about it was $50 too late for me. :)

9. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

I guess I should have mentioned that, but I did see the DR values, seems like the BD is much better. I do factor that in, but I also go on what my ears hear. If the HDTracks version had sounded better to me, I would be listening to that one. But it probably wouldn't, because of said DR values. It was very noticeable that the BD version of the album was much more dynamic, but I do like the bonus tracks in hi res. Maybe it is a placebo effect, but they seem to sound better than the CDs.

Sorry for the rambling, hope I made sense.

10. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

Yeah, if you download the program, then google the registration code, the MakeMKV website has the code right on it. Just copy and paste, it will ask to restart the program and then you are good to go.

I don't think I am promoting pirating, if I am the Mods can delete this.

11. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

My understanding is it's "free" while in beta.

12. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

That is kinda what I thought. It has been in beta for as long as I can remember. I know there are other programs out there that "unlock" the BD, but I think they are over $100 for a yearly registration. I don't rip enough BD to make it worth while, so MakeMKV is wonderful.

Dave 81828384 and Panama Jack like this.
  13. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

Are you trying to give me nightmares or what?

14. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

Yep.

15. john morris

I knew it.

16. john morris

Huh? I am 50 and am out of the loop. It feels like a missed several pages in the thread.

17. john morris

No you are not rambling.
    I am not only one on this site that rambles. And I do it to a fine art practised for many years.

18. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Dynamically-compressed material losslessly-compresses worse (i.e. will take more space) than dynamic material; even with the same FLAC encoder settings, FYI. More data to encode.

oneway23 and JediJoker like this.
  19. moomoomoomoo

I was just thinking as bad as as this Abbey Road mess is, it's nothing compared to the DREADFUL DR5 Hendrix Ladyland 2.0 96/24 on the blu-ray. It was so bad I sold mine.

Soundslave, vonwegen and BGLeduc like this.
  20. strifeknot

strifeknot Senior Member

The Ladyland remaster is unlistenable. Grundman can't be happy to have his name on it.

21. moomoomoomoo

The 2.0 on the blu-ray isn't Grundman (though his name may have gone on it; as I said I no longer have the box). It's the 2010 master that was used for the brickwalled cd (there's a thread on this topic somewhere on the board).

The best official EL that I know of not on vinyl is still the Re-1 Reprise cd.

There is also a great fan made 96/24 dvd that's a Prof Stoned needle drop. Surprising it sounds as good as it does as the gear used was not hi end.

22. john morris

My used vinyl copy has a nice gentle load back quality to it. I wish I wish I still had it. I picked up EL 7 years ago or so. Are these the same ones? They don't sound DR-5 to me . I did get an opportunity to hear 16/44.1 flat transfer of the master of Electric Lady Land and all I can say is who wants a copy?

......No such luck. Sorry. It appears as if from what I heard at the studio in question was that compares the remaster a lot of EQ was used. It was brightened up too much.

I will tell you what I do have and I can make copies or whatever.

The real uncut (the stereo one has 45 seconds edited out of it) REAL MONO MIX of STONE FREE. Not folded down, no compression and no EQ. For the last 20 years it has been sitting on the PS2 NTSC Of Grand Turismo 3. No joke!⁶

jfeldt and Soundslave like this.
  23. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

THIS WEEK on HDtracks...

Simple Minds Official - Live in the City of Angels (Deluxe)
    Whitesnake - Slip Of The Tongue (Super Deluxe Edition) [2019 Remaster]
    Wes Montgomery - Wes Montgomery, Back on Indiana Avenue: The Carroll DeCamp Recordings
    Chick Corea, Christian McBride, Brian Blade Trilogy 2 Hi Res

plus much much more...

24. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I’m a big advocate for DRs - when used appropriately. The DR website is doing itself - and its users - a disservice by qualifying the dynamics of a mastering based solely on DR level.

FWIW, I have a Japan BC-13 I bought new in the early 80s. It may have good DR numbers, but it is not the best sounding Beatles I’ve heard. IMO, it ranges from not particularly good to pretty good. Maybe the needledrops you’ve heard don’t sound up to the task because your memory of it is romanticized a little?

Plan9 and john morris like this.
  25. moomoomoomoo

Possible, but I played that box constantly & loved it. The one I had was a Japan only mastering packaged to look like the UK Blue Box with an obi.