Hi-Res Download News (HDTracks, ProStudioMasters, Pono, etc.) & Software/Mastering Part 12**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 9, 2015.

1. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

Prince: Purple Rain fyi:

Original (2013) 192/24 DR13, album only, sounds wonderful.

DE #1 (2017) : 96/24 DR10, sounds mediocre. Original album + 25 b-sides, 12", etc

DE #2 (2019): 44/24 (I do NOT like this trend) Studio material DR 9; haven't heard it yet. Original album + 12 track concert (Concert is 88/24 DR10) + 44 b-sides & alts (44/24 DR9). Based on a Quick Look, most (all?) of the alts seem to be different tracks than those on DE #1.

Assuming DE #2 sounds anything like #1, I highly recommend keeping the 2013 as the go to for the main album; it sounds quite good.

Kyhl likes this.
  2. randian

randian Forum Resident

I see badly mastered video all the time. Raised black levels because it was mastered for cheap LCDs that can’t do real black rather than being mastered for an OLED, which can. Sharpening filters and heavy DNR on 4k content, which looks like crap unless you watch it on, again, a cheap LCD, where the display can’t resolve the crap.

JediJoker likes this.
  3. moomoomoomoo

I don't know where my brain is. The new Prince is a 44/24 DE of 1999, not Purple Rain. :(:rant:

That said, my comments about the lowering DR's & sampling rates are still valid (but yes, I feel kinda stoopid!)

4. moomoomoomoo

PSM has much of the Joni Mitchell catalog on sale. As I haven't heard of a remastering on these; I ASSUME they are the 2013-2015 Flat transfers. If you're interested you might want to buy 1 & see how it sounds (Don't choose "Both Sides Now"; that was always a sub par dvd-a master).

5. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

THIS WEEK on HDtracks...

The Who - WHO
    U2 - The 'Eternal' Remixes
    The L.A. Network - DAVE BRUBECK REDUX
    Anna Nalick - The Blackest Crow

plus much much more...

Dave 81828384 and moomoomoomoo like this.
  6. moomoomoomoo

@jmacvols
    Thanks for the posts. I don't do Facebook, so much appreciated!

Dave 81828384 and jmacvols like this.
  7. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I second that!

jmacvols likes this.
  8. moomoomoomoo

9. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Pretty sure they're legit. They have the rights to a lot of Stax material at the moment it seems. I bought their download of Albert King's mono mix of "Born Under A Bad Sign" from Qobuz a few weeks ago.

10. moomoomoomoo

How was the sound? Public domain? Audiophile? Something in between?

11. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

They're legit. Craft is the catalog branch of Concord which includes Stax, Fantasy, Vanguard, Hear Music, Prestige, and Riverside, among others.

patient_ot likes this.
  12. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

They are part of the Concord Music Group in business since the early 70s. Under the Universal Music umbrella now. It started out as a Jazz label like a lot of record companies.
    100% legit.

patient_ot likes this.
  13. moomoomoomoo

Thanx. I might check out the 192 Miles & compare it to the Prestige SACD's & Downloads.

14. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Yep, just a part of Concord Music Group.

15. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Let us know what you think. I'm curious to know if this is a new transfer, remastering or what. Almost certainly not, given what's NOT said online -- but maybe it is.

The individual albums of this material were all released in hi-res downloads a few times. In at least in two different masterings... it's so confusing. ... for example....

Steamin' (2016?)
    Steamin' With The Miles Davis Quintet | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

Steamin' (2014? RVG)
    Steamin' With The Miles Davis Quintet (Rudy Van Gelder Remaster) | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

I'm assuming this new Prestige set isn't anything other than the most recent mastering (2016), which was good... but they say nothing.

16. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Craft recordings have also been putting out deluxe reissues and box sets recently for Creedence Clearwater Revival and R.E.M. That's how I noticed them. They have a few other non-Jazz artists on the label. But it looks like they deal exclusively in reissue or archive material.

17. moomoomoomoo

+SACD releases.

Pants Party likes this.
  18. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Been thinking about getting the Craft Staple Singers Be Altitude 24/192 download. It's a good price on HD Tracks with the 20% off. I would rather have the reel-to-reel but there are none in stock at Tape Project right now. I'm on the waiting list.

19. moomoomoomoo

I haven't played the Craft Miles Davis yet. Will post on SQ & some comparisons when I get to it.

20. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

While trolling the Acoustic Sounds site for SACDs I noticed that Sly and the Family Stone's "Greatest Hits" was available in multiple download formats. I am somewhat interested in the 192/24 version. It has an average DR of 12 but that is only part of the tale. Has anyone given it a listen? If so, what is your opinion?

oneway23 likes this.
  21. moomoomoomoo

I've got the HDT 192/24. Haven't played it yet. If you don't need to make the decision today, I'll try to play it soon & post.

22. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I’m in no hurry. :cool: Thanks

23. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

This week on HDtracks...

YES (official) - Fly From Here: Return Trip
    Blake Shelton - Fully Loaded: God's Country
    Moby - Long Ambients Two
    Gary Numan & The Skaparis Orchestra When the Sky Came Down (Live at The Bridgewater Hall, Manchester)

plus much much more...

johnny q and Craig like this.
  24. moomoomoomoo

I don't know what's going to be available in the USA (Licensing) but I've seen leaks of 2 partial versions of Pink Floyd Later Years in hr. 1 is 46 tracks studio & live 96/24, & the other is 12 tracks live 44/24.

25. art

art Senior Member

I got all the Craft Staple Singers in 24/192. They are stunning.

Rigoberto likes this.