Hi-Res Download News (HDTracks, ProStudioMasters, Pono, etc.) & Software/Mastering Part 12**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 9, 2015.

1. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Any sign of the Matthew Sweet - Susanna Hoffs Under The Covers compilation that was supposed to be released today? I haven't been able to track it down on any of the sites.

2. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

They consistently say that they sell what they get from the companies.

sunspot42 likes this.
  3. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

My issue isn't with what they sell but with not being transparent about it. They have this quality assurance page: HDtracks Quality Process | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

The first 2 tests are deceptive and many upsampled tracks would pass them. Any processing to the audio will fill in the bottom bits. And the frequency spectrum analysis can allow harmonic/aliasing/processing artifacts to make it seem like its frequency range extends higher than an upsample would. But that last test, the spectrogram, is a good one and I've seen a number of tracks/albums being sold which wouldn't pass that and yet aren't pointed out as upsamples on the site. While some are pointed out. I alerted them a while ago to tracks in an album which were undeniable upsamples. They never responded and never changed the page. I only e-mailed them because at the time, I believed they did care and were trying to be transparent because I had seen them point it out on other albums.

This is the promise they make: "HDtracks does not accept lower resolution files simply converted to a higher sample rate, and in these cases the native recording resolutions are requested. In the few exceptional cases where an album was mastered at a higher resolution than the multi-tracking or mixing. HDtracks clearly notes this in detail directly on the album page to the best of our ability to ensure transparency to our customers."

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  4. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

I think at one time they were. It may be a licensing issue; the label or the Stones may want to maximize sales from the "new" versions.

5. moomoomoomoo

6. Mickactual

Mickactual Humble indie rock musician

The Rolling Stones In Mono set (including the Stray Cats compilation) was definitely available on HDT in 2016. Not sure if they were sold separately, but I'm pretty sure most or all of the stereo ones were at one time available in 24/88.2 and 24/176.4 (I know because I have some of them).
    They seem to be getting all of the anniversary remasters, but none of them sound as good as the original SACD's and HD releases to my ears.

7. randian

randian Forum Resident

Any opinions on this?

8. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

I don’t run DR numbers, but these are from the last round of remasters with the addition of the 2 remakes.

it sounds open, 3D, hi-fi and not squashed or compressed.

if you find the thread the box set of remasters from last year is pretty highly regarded, some even prefer them to the AF releases.

JediJoker likes this.
  9. moomoomoomoo

I haven't played it yet, it is a DR13.

JediJoker and xj32 like this.
  10. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I have the flac download (sorry I don't know which resolution) of the Stones in Mono. 14GB in all. A friend from the USA got it as in the UK it was unavailable on HDTracks UK due to our good old friend Mr Licensing.
    Anyone have the new Van Morrison high resolutions of a few of his albums such as Hard Nose the Highway that have just been released in the USA?
    Vinyl Records, SACDs, DVD Audio, Audiophile Equipment|Acoustic Sounds

11. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

Looks like Toto might be on this weeks menu of new releases:
    Toto

PTgraphics likes this.
  12. Omnio

Omnio _ _ _ ____ ____ _ _ _

I wish they'd do something about Wild Frontier...A nice remix/remaster could be used on that album and then put it on SACD...maybe one day...one can dream...

13. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

THIS WEEK on HDtracks...

Metallica - Metallica, Load
    Phish - Sigma Oasis
    Toto - 13 albums
    Green Day - Otis Big Guitar Mix

plus much much more...

Tim 2, superstar19 and Separan like this.
  14. Separan

Separan Forum Resident

Toto's back catalogs (minus Falling in Between and Old is New) are released in 24/192 today. It's same selection from 2018 All In box set. So they must be same master.

15. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I am hoping the Toto releases sound a little better than the CDs. The CDs sound decent though. Just not as dynamic as the original releases.

c-eling likes this.
  16. FritzL

FritzL Adrift & Dumbfounded

Jethro Tull, Stormwatch 40th is on HDTracks but only in 44.1/24. Don’t understand that at all.

17. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

Too many people have unfortunately complained when HDTracks has sold stuff that was originally recorded/mixed in redbook as 24/96 or 24/192 files, even though the new mastering work has been done at those sample rates. I think this is the result.

18. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

I doubt that the Toto remasters can touch the org. CBS and Columbia discs.

Past to Present Col. CK 45368 is reference quality.

c-eling likes this.
  19. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I'm betting the compression stays, shame.

20. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I have all the remaster cds. Turn Back is a big improvement. On the Toto debut one or two songs play out longer on the remaster.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  21. FritzL

FritzL Adrift & Dumbfounded

Thanks. I made a mistake. Stormwatch is 44.1/16 at HDTracks, not 44.1/24 as in my original post.

22. art

art Senior Member

Anyone heard the Guess Who's Wheatfield Soul in hi-res? On Quboz and Acoustic Sounds.

23. moomoomoomoo

To add to the question: And how does it compare sonically to the Dutton 2.0 SACD layer?

JediJoker likes this.
  24. Lukather

Lukather Forum Resident

I bought the toto Mindfields, love this record. I thought it sounded really bright and LOUD! I thought I would check this out before I bought "Tambu" which I also really like...........anybody else get this?

25. art

art Senior Member

I got the 24-192 Wheatfield and think it’s the best version. And I really like both the Iconoclassic CD and the Dutton 2.0. This one sounds like the Anesini mastering with more air and detail.

moomoomoomoo likes this.