Hi-Res Download News (HDTracks, ProStudioMasters, Pono, etc.) & Software/Mastering Part 12**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 9, 2015.

1. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

The vinyl of her early releases has similar low DR values, according to the database site. I believe it. I was thinking about "My Old Man" last night off Blue and it's pretty dynamically flat on every disc I've owned.

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  2. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

I understand making a remastered record a bit louder. (2 or 3 db) and using normalization. If the album is lame at the top end then add some EQ. + 3 db @ 16 khz @ Q of 1. And maybe +1.5 db @ 3 khz @ Q of 1. And maybe help the bottom end out a bit. Maybe +2 db @ 50 hz @ Q of .6.
    Maybe pull down the lid a bit to clear up business. Say, - 2 db @ 150 @ Q of 1.
    You have done some minor mastering moves. You have used a limiter setting to tighten up the bass that was weak. And more importantly you have not changed the tonal balance of the album. Same album just better.

But too often mastering engineers do way too much:

* Pulling the cloud down - 5 db @ 150 hz @ Q of 1. (Oouch!)

* And vamping up the bottom end +4 db @ 40 hz @ Q of 1.

* And then a killer midrange EQ move: + 4 db @ 3.5 khz @ Q of 1.5.

* And silly boost: + 6 db @ 8 khz @ Q of 1.

Where is the album now? Where did it go?

Just listen to the remasters of Journey and MJ on CD. They distort in the bass region. The reason we mastering engineers have: $10 000 speakers, $3 000 subwoofers that are flat down to 15 hz and $50 000 amps is to hear every little bit of detail. How could these clowns miss distortion that I can hear on my stupid $70 I beats Ur3 / Samsung A20?

Starwanderer and moomoomoomoo like this.
  3. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

Agreed on Journey. To my ears, the remasters also distort in the mid-upper midrange. Sorry I can not listen to Michael Jackson (any period) without having serious distress! I've despised his "music" since the Jackson 5 & it only got worse for me from there!

john morris likes this.
  4. john morris

Sometimes it is just mixed that way. Are you sure it is flat tranfer?. Back then if an album was DR9 it was just because of the dynamics of the song and the way it wad mixed. Whereas today if you get a DR9 some funny nonsense was going on.

5. john morris

Pistols at dawn. I love the J5 and his solo work up until 1995 anyway. MJ didn't write any songs that appeared on records until 1977.

6. john morris

What is it about MJ that bothers you? Be specific.

7. moomoomoomoo

Blue was part of Warner's "Flat Transfer Series". No, I can't guarantee that Warner was being truthful. I can state that I've never heard a bad sounding album from that series (though a few of the choices were musically questionable imo!)

Mickactual, sunspot42 and john morris like this.
  8. moomoomoomoo

The #1 thing is I don't like the music. There are other reasons, but that is the main one.

9. john morris

Is it bubble gum music or Candy Funk music you don't like?

Or the lame, I don't like 11 - 13 year old high pitched boy singers excuse?

Plenty of singers in Rock have high pitched voices..

Listen....When you get to Heaven and see MJ this will be a problem.. I assume MJ is in Heaven.

10. john morris

I suppose it could be DR9. If you said DR3, no way.

11. john morris

You are hurting me dude. I am in tears here.:rant:

12. moomoomoomoo

John, we're each allowed to like what we do. Obviously, I'm in the minority as his sales were astronomical; though sales in our society mean little to me. Back on topic, most audiophile brands would be thrilled to have 5% of the sales #'s of mass market brands. And MQA proves the point all by itself.

john morris likes this.
  13. moomoomoomoo

I think we both like Journey??? :cool:

Mickactual and john morris like this.
  14. moomoomoomoo

I hear you. When I saw the DR9 on the new master, I admit I posted that it must be poor mastering without hearing it (I still haven't played the new master, so no opinion on the sound). The original was apparently the exception to the rule, I guess.

john morris likes this.
  15. john morris

It's all cool.. For example I hate: Nivana, Pearl Jam and Metallica. I just didn't peg you for a MJ hater. The 1969 - 1972 Candy Funk is nothing like his R&B music later (1978 - 1995). So you dislike Funk and classic R&B? It is cool.

The singer of the Tragically Unhip has a irritating voice. But the music is good. They really need a new singer. His voice goes through my head like a nail. Regardless I can still review the sound quality of the music.

I mix crap rap music 5 days a week. I hate it all but it is my job.

I didn't like MJ because of his sales or any of that surface crap. I heard the music of the J5 and loved it.

16. john morris

I wonder if you don't like MJ music for the same reasons that I love his music. The thin line between love and hate. For example I love cranberry juice because it is so darn tart. Many people who don't like cranberry juice can't drink the stuff because it is too tart. :wiggle:

17. levimax

levimax Forum Resident

My understanding is that "DR Meter" values are a well meaning but not very accurate way to describe the loudness of music. I understand that in the studio LUFS (Loudness Unit Full Scale) is used. Is this correct? If so how well in your experience do DR and LUFS correlate? Thanks.

18. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Actually, for what it's worth, the DCC of "Court and Spark" has a DR of 12. I just ran it in through Foobar's DR Meter.

foobar2000 1.3.17 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2021-04-21 09:06:33
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Joni Mitchell / Court And Spark
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR12 -0.39 dB -18.14 dB 2:46 01-Court And Spark
    DR12 -0.54 dB -16.29 dB 3:23 02-Help Me
    DR12 -1.57 dB -16.03 dB 3:02 03-Free Man In Paris
    DR10 -3.08 dB -17.08 dB 2:15 04-People's Parties
    DR12 -2.52 dB -18.68 dB 2:55 05-Same Situation
    DR11 -1.26 dB -15.83 dB 2:58 06-Car On A Hill
    DR11 -3.54 dB -19.98 dB 5:36 07-Down To You
    DR12 -1.67 dB -16.69 dB 4:23 08-Just Like This Train
    DR12 -0.78 dB -14.55 dB 3:05 09-Raised On Robbery
    DR11 -4.49 dB -17.53 dB 3:59 10-Trouble Child
    DR12 -3.88 dB -19.10 dB 2:22 11-Twisted
    Number of tracks: 11
    Official DR value: DR12
    Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 16
    Bitrate: 804 kbps
    Codec: FLAC

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  19. James H.

James H. Forum Resident

I was wondering when you add what the DR numbers are, in my case I use JRiver, are the numbers consistent if you use Foobar or any other media software?

20. moomoomoomoo

I do NOT dislike all classic funk & R&B. I consider MJ pop/early hip hop. I like a lot of pop music. I'm a big 80's Prince fan. There's also a lot I don't like. I don't like "easy listening soul" I don't like MJ's music. For what it's worth, I agree with you on rap (I also call it ©rap), Metallica & am not into Tragically Hip, though I haven't heard very much of them.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    bobcat, Mickactual and john morris like this.
  21. moomoomoomoo

There are at least 2 different meters (probably more. John?) The Foobar meter is the most commonly used because it is free & easy to use. 90+% of the time what I hear correlates to what it shows. The MAAT meter is in my understanding both more accurate & quite pricey. I may end up eating this sentence, but I BELIEVE to use the Maat meter, one also has to be using other Maat software in addition. I'd really have to think hard of anything below DR9 that I can sit through without grimacing. As a general rule, I agree with Dr Loudness that DR11 should be the minimum. And while I do very much believe in the accuracy of most of the results; I've read more than once that a bass heavy recording can skew the DR low.

bobcat and john morris like this.
  22. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

The offline version (MAAT DR Offline Mk II) is $49. If you only use it to generate data for arguments on forums, maybe it's expensive, but it's not that much. The plugin version for use with ProTools, etc. is more than double that.

23. moomoomoomoo

I thought it was plug in only. How does one get an input to the $49 model? Does it install on a pc?

Dave 81828384 likes this.
  24. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

They have two separate products, both of which work on either Windows or Mac:
    • a plugin, DRMeter Mk II, costs $129, and I assume only works as part of some other product like ProTools or Apple Logic X (would it work in Audacity? I have no idea).
    • an app, DROffline Mk II, costs $49 and is just a standalone app that you start up like any other app. You can tell it to analyze a single file or a directory.
    I assume the plugin and the app product the same data. Here's the app's report on the HDTracks 96/24 download of Yes' Fragile (from the Steven Wilson Remixes collection):

Code:
    Folder Path:   /Users/craig/Music/Music/Media.localized/Yes/Fragile [2015 HD]

File Name | Format |  SR | Word Length | Max. TPL |  LUFSi | DR (PMF) |

01 Roundabout |   .m4a | 96k |  32 (float) |    +0.04 | -13.16 |       11 |
                       02 Cans and Brahms |   .m4a | 96k |  32 (float) |    -0.75 | -19.55 |       12 |
                        03 We Have Heaven |   .m4a | 96k |  32 (float) |    -0.16 | -15.16 |       12 |
                 04 South Side of the Sky |   .m4a | 96k |  32 (float) |    -0.08 | -15.13 |       13 |
             05 Five per Cent for Nothing |   .m4a | 96k |  32 (float) |    -2.51 | -18.47 |       13 |
               06 Long Distance Runaround |   .m4a | 96k |  32 (float) |    -0.10 | -17.26 |       14 |
    07 The Fish (Schindleria Praematurus) |   .m4a | 96k |  32 (float) |    -0.06 | -14.61 |       12 |
                        08 Mood for a Day |   .m4a | 96k |  32 (float) |    -5.40 | -24.44 |       16 |
                  09 Heart of the Sunrise |   .m4a | 96k |  32 (float) |    +0.23 | -15.04 |       12 |
              10 We Have Heaven (Reprise) |   .m4a | 96k |  32 (float) |    -0.04 | -13.72 |       11 |

Number of EP/Album Files: 10
    Official EP/Album DR: 13

25. moomoomoomoo

Question: "APP" to me means phone. Is this computer software, or phone only? I see you checked m4a's, which I believe is a Mac format. If the "app" is software, will it run on Windows?