Hi-Res Download News (HDTracks, ProStudioMasters, Pono, etc.) & Software/Mastering Part 12**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 9, 2015.

1. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

$10.99 at Qobuz (Sublime members)

Is there more than one 192/24 out there or can I be sure that if it is, then it's the mastering under discussion. Which other albums are this "flat transfer series"?

JorgeGvb likes this.
  2. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

Hope you get better soon.

3. moomoomoomoo

Most Warner releases between 2013-2016. Mine is a 2014 release. AFAIK, there's never been a high res remaster of Late For The Sky. Hold On is also quite good, but hard to fond. There are 2 Running on Empty's; the dvd-s & a 2019. Both are only adequate imo.

As far as a complete list, there have been attempts made to list as many as possible on this thread. I am not aware of how to find a complete list, other than finding a cached version of HD Tracks from the middle of last decade. Originals will have a square white "W" on the cover art. That does not mean that items for sale today may not be from the series. A small sampling would include pre 2016 (non dvd-a) masters from Yes, Rod Stewart, Prince, Jackson Browne, Joni Mitchell, Madonna, & many more that are not coming to mind. You may want to try searching this thread for "Warner Flat Transfer".

4. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Some ZZ Top titles as well I think.

jh901 likes this.
  5. moomoomoomoo

Correct. There was a ZZ Top box in the series.

jh901 likes this.
  6. moomoomoomoo

CRAP. It looks like the David Crosby is only available in 16/44. His last 4 all had a 24 bit option.

7. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Some of these Warner releases from years ago are so good. Mingus Oh Yeah!. Wow. Some MJQ will hit my hard drive. Max Roach Trio. Spun Astral Weeks and I'll likely buy that. Got Joni Blue.

Who among you is accountable for this. I'm gonna need some $$$. Qobuz has good prices, so you I'll spend your money wisely. I promise.

I'll simply stream some of them, like ZZ Top. I have the CD box albums on my hard drive as a solid back up im case the hires are pulled.

Separately, were any of the 2014 Wilco well received here?

moomoomoomoo and c-eling like this.
  8. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

2011 Fleetwood Mac's were probably my favorite from that 'series', minus Rumours which was the DVD-A mastering.

JayNYC, moomoomoomoo and jh901 like this.
  9. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I liked Browne Late for the Sky.

Figure I'll end up spinning FMac S/T and Tusk.

Streaming Monkey's Presents now. Well regarded? Sounds good initially, but I don't have this album.

moomoomoomoo and c-eling like this.
  10. moomoomoomoo

The Reprise Ellington's were excellent also.

jh901 likes this.
  11. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I seem to remember Sky Trails taking a few weeks to have a 24bit version released.

12. moomoomoomoo

Hope it happens. I'm afraid with Covid it may have been recorded on a home pc that only did 16/44.

13. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

While I agree that many musicians and engineers (even big name ones) could care less about sample rates above 44.1 or 48, there is no Windows or Mac or more importantly there are zero audio interfaces in existence that will record at 16-bit.

Also this album was mastered by Bernie Grundman

This is most definitely the dithered CD master.

Who knows if they will decide to release anything in full resolution or not.

Plan9 likes this.
  14. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Is there a thread page limit these days? If not, maybe a Gort could combine the 11 small threads with this one. Would make searching easier.

bubba-ho-tep likes this.
  15. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

HDtracks has a section in their latest email called "16-bit Hi-Res". Yup 16/44.1 is now Hi-Res by their definition.

16. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

Translation - "not enough artists or labels are giving us 24-bit files, CDs are dead, and here for a premium price are effectively CD rips of classics past..."

c-eling likes this.
  17. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I'll take those cd rips of classics past any day over the bastardized mastering's they've been handed :D
    * Just make sure you correct the EQ on those pre-emphasis discs please.

Starwanderer and xj32 like this.
  18. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

I also know quite a few artists who refuse to put any of their 24-bits files online since most everything gets "stolen and shared" in today's musical landscape.

c-eling likes this.
  19. moomoomoomoo

I only have a 16 bit sound card on a 3 year old pretty powerful pc. Wouldn't I have to update the sound card to 24 bit to record in 24 bit?

20. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

this is not meant to be a dig in any way shape or form, but anyone recording music professionally would be using an external sound card of some sort. Even the least expensive of these are all 24-bit 192 in this day and age.

21. moomoomoomoo

Hopefully Crosby & Raymond have the $'s to afford it; but I wouldn't assume that all indie artists have a 24 bit sound card. Most of the prebuilt consumer machines have built in 16 bit sound. Remember, we're in a severe economic downturn with a pandemic.

22. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

One, as far as I know, Crosby and Raymond have more than decent gear, as you can hear in the impeccable sound quality of the album. In the past, they worked in some pretty kick-ass spaces in California and New York, and the album was mastered by Bernie Grundman, who NEVER works at 16 bit unless it's a final dither for CD.

Your statement is a stretch when a person can buy a 24-Bit capable audio interface for under $60...The pro-audio industry is booming right now by the way and many audio interface companies like Focusrite, PreSonus, Mackie and others could not keep affordable interfaces in stock.

Second, there is no such thing as a built-in sound card on a laptop that can accept mic levels without an external audio interface of some sort. It truly is more trouble than it would be worth and the channel count in a DAW would be pretty low. Even if you use an external mixer dumbed down to a 1/8" cable, the latency as well as likely grounding hum and noise would be killer.

Here is a list of the studios For Free was recorded at:

• Groove Masters, Santa Monica
    • HZ Werks, Van Nuys
    • Joel Jacks Studios, Santa Ynez
    • Stubbs Recording, Spring Hill, TN
    • The Bamboom Room, Altadena
    • Tomorrow's Sound Today Professional Quality Recording Studio, Studio City

The reality and we have been seeing it coming for awhile:

A. Most labels, engineers and artists could care less about hi-resolution audio.
    B. Those that do are still often more comfortable with lossy audio or CD-quality audio because why give away the hi-res stuff to pirates...not all think this way but some do.

art likes this.
  23. moomoomoomoo

6 studios; that's what I call a major Covid risk! I know from reading their posts a number of indies are recording at home.

24. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

I get the impression that many of the tracks were flown in. And yes many musicians, in general, switched to recording at home in 2020, which is why the sales of interfaces skyrocketed.

25. moomoomoomoo