Hi-Res Download News (HDTracks, ProStudioMasters, Pono, etc.) & Software/Mastering Part 12**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 9, 2015.

1. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

She is most assuredly still working in 24-bit, but as soon as you see a CD option available for sale, that means a 16-bit master was prepared. Now here is the rub, any artist that uses CD Baby for aggregate distribution of their CDs and files for streaming, iTunes, etc. needs to submit 16-bit / 44.1 files, as that is all they accept and their website states that if you submit files in 24 they will dither them and convert them for you.

This is also why many masting engineers I know have stopped supporting or recommending CD baby.

sunspot42 likes this.
  2. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

I believe that other than with a Download card mailed by the artist, CD Baby closed there download store in 2020.

CD Baby Music Store

3. JamieLang

JamieLang Forum Resident

late For the Sky absolutely had a lovely HD remaster in 2014 for Pono. I know cuz i bought it. Its not a flat transfer, its better. IMO. Its like DR11 but with a nice bottom the original vinyl never had.

re: running on empty, the 2019 is as good as that not good sounding recorded in hotel rooms album has ever sounded and retains its dynamic range. The earlier DVDA master is not up to anything Id call adequate. Its loud and downright ugly IMO.

The three done in the Warner flat transfer period were Hold Out, Lawyers in Love, and World in Motion. 192khz. Haven't been available for sale for a decade now. Why they didnt do Lives in the Balance is beyond me as its the only part of that 80s run NOT done. Id guess they had trouble finding tapes?

Standing in the Breach was released that year (2014) as 24/192. The new one is just 24/96.

….as to all this about indie artists and 16bit soundcards….I dont know what basis this has in reality. ANY recording interface for a computer made for 20+ years has been 24/48 capable….and MOST 24/96. From a $200 Maudio/Mackie level UsB box to a $40k Avid HD system. The reasons for different sample rate use varies, but I assure you its not indie artists having lesser spec’d tools. Fwiw. Yes, 192 isnt as common, but its also not very useable beyond a two track, IME.

Plan9 and xj32 like this.
  4. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

I am not talking about their own store, they also offer/used to offer an aggregate service where they send your files to iTunes, Amazon, etc.

5. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

This is what I have been trying to say... it's actually harder and more of a hassle to record in 16-bit than it is 24-bit with a cheapo interface (I do think Logic still has a 16-bit setting, but even its default is 24-bit). If I import 16-bit files into my DAW it automatically converts them to 24-bit whether I like it or not...not that I wouldn't...all plugins work better at 24-bit, in fact, plugins work the best at 24/96, so even if you recorded your tracks, or if someone sends you tracks to mix at 24/44.1 to me it's still worth upsampling for the plugins.

6. moomoomoomoo

I'm 99% sure HDT offered it as part of the Flat Transfer series. I wasn't aware of Qobuz in 2014. There may be more than 1 master out there; I'm happy with the one I have (file date is 6/28/14).

I do wish JB would do hi-res versions of the 1st 2 & The Pretender. I have all the others you mention; but he somewhat lost me musically after Hold Out & the Crow On The Cradle single. Lawyers in Love (The Song) was amusing, but not in the same league with the early stuff imo.

Ricardo Cosinaro and xj32 like this.
  7. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Unless they're plugging a mic directly into a cheap laptop or something, I'd imagine that most indie acts are using some kind of outboard microphone to USB adapter or console that supports 24-bit at 96kHz. I suspect most newer PC chipsets support 24-bit recording as well for their onboard audio, although I haven't tried to use one in years now.

xj32 likes this.
  8. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Is this quote re Late for the Sky?

I plan to stream the 2019 192/24 Running On Empty. Does this remaster have some fans around here?

Separately, was Tusk 192/24 available at one point. Only 96/24 on HDT or Qobuz now.

c-eling likes this.
  9. louis_anthony

louis_anthony Vir Fidelis

Simon A likes this.
  10. moomoomoomoo

1. My last post before this was about LFTS. Don't know if you're asking about my post though.

2. Not me (not awful, but not great)

3. My 2015 Tusk is 96.

jh901 likes this.
  11. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Do they promote MQA?

If not, then that's a good start from my perspective.

They would have to work with Roon straight away so that integration was ready to go at launch. They might want to beat the Qobuz "Sublime+" membership pricing and match download discount pricing. The HDT download app beats Qobuz (unless I'm missing something). What about selection of Redbook and hires? And streaming quality would have to match Qobuz.

I'm all for competition.

12. moomoomoomoo

If someone would match Sublime's DL pricing without requiring paying for streaming I'd be so there.

PTgraphics and jh901 like this.
  13. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Lol. So would everyone.

The $250 will pay off for those who buy many DLs annually.

I love the streaming though. So much music! I'm surprised how great it sounds. I think my set up is pretty ideal, so maybe that is part of it.

Plan9 likes this.
  14. moomoomoomoo

No offense meant by the following: To me streaming is today's FM radio. My music collection is so large the only time I turn on the radio is for sports talk!

xj32 likes this.
  15. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Senior Member

Beautiful Hi Res 96khz FM Radio.
    Lucky for us the file streamed from a server is the same as from your hard drive.

jh901 likes this.
  16. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

2011 Tusk was 96 which is even overkill (IMO) nothing but dark skies over 44 (early digital recording)
    You have to be careful, some use the remaster's. the 2015 is not the 'flat'

jh901 likes this.
  17. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

No doubt if I owned 5,000 albums centered around 60s jazz and 70s rock then I'd pretty much have it all. I think I will get up to 3,500 local storage within 2 years.

Anyhow, there really isn't anything about Qobuz streaming that is close to analogous to radio.

Is the $250 annually worth it for every single forum member? No. Most? I have no doubt. Frankly, I'm well within my first six months of dropping physical disc spinning for network play. I dove in pretty deep. Among the better decisions in this hobby I've made over the course of some 25 years.

18. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

There is quite a bit of disagreement with that statement. The files may be the same, but the path from file to DAC usually is not (e.g., a streaming file has to be buffered as it comes in, one track at a time, rather than an entire queue of files buffered).

Nevertheless, a huge improvement over FM radio; I'm not even sure why someone would make that comparison.

19. SkeletonPete

SkeletonPete Forum Resident

Yep. Checked Apple Music this morning and there are two versions of Tusk. Both have a Warners copyright date of 2015.
    One is clearly labeled Remastered and is labeled as Hi-Res Lossless. In this case it is 24 bit/96 kHz ALAC.
    The second version is the 5 hour plus Deluxe version. That is streaming at 24 bit/44.1 kHz)

c-eling likes this.
  20. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Senior Member

All I know that with my Firestick 4k attached to my Pioneer Elite VSX-80, I can stream CSN/Y Deja Vu in 192 Flac.
    The downside might be, it sometimes takes a few seconds to switch to the Flac file from the standard (I think Opus for Amazon Music HD).
    The convenience is worth that trade off and if that is FM Radio, sign me up!

21. moomoomoomoo

Correct about 2 versions. I don't have my music pc booted, but I'm certain the 5 disc was released several years later despite the (2015 Master) statement by the record co. When I boot that pc I'll check the file creation dates.

c-eling and jh901 like this.
  22. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

And, as you upgrade, it all gets better.

23. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

2011 'flat' Tusk will carry these peaks-
    DR14 -1.52 dB -19.37 dB 4:34 01-Over & Over
    DR12 -0.75 dB -15.36 dB 2:08 02-The Ledge
    DR12 -1.22 dB -16.57 dB 2:44 03-Think About Me
    DR14 0.00 dB -17.45 dB 2:42 04-Save Me A Place
    DR15 -1.92 dB -19.67 dB 6:32 05-Sara
    DR13 -0.02 dB -15.73 dB 3:32 06-What Makes You Think You're The One
    DR12 -2.51 dB -17.69 dB 5:31 07-Storms
    DR13 -0.41 dB -16.30 dB 3:03 08-That's All For Everyone
    DR12 -2.29 dB -16.34 dB 3:11 09-Not That Funny
    DR14 -1.01 dB -18.49 dB 4:42 10-Sisters Of The Moon
    DR14 -1.00 dB -17.87 dB 4:54 11-Angel
    DR12 -2.24 dB -16.74 dB 1:50 12-That's Enough For Me
    DR16 -2.86 dB -22.04 dB 4:27 13-Brown Eyes
    DR10 -11.76 dB -25.34 dB 2:18 14-Never Make Me Cry
    DR14 -0.02 dB -15.23 dB 3:03 15-I Know I'm Not Wrong
    DR14 -2.47 dB -20.97 dB 2:43 16-Honey Hi
    DR13 -1.45 dB -20.40 dB 5:20 17-Beautiful Child
    DR13 -2.27 dB -18.41 dB 3:46 18-Walk A Thin Line
    DR13 0.00 dB -17.73 dB 3:37 19-Tusk
    DR13 -3.88 dB -19.84 dB 3:40 20-Never Forget

24. moomoomoomoo

Couldn't agree more with your first paragraph. I suspect a ton of jitter is introduced also.

Re Radio: What you're getting is radio in higher quality. And the artists are getting much less compensation than radio, if you choose to believe many artist's complaints.

25. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

And you can choose your own programming, unlike radio.

jh901 likes this.