Hi-Res Download News (HDTracks, ProStudioMasters, Pono, etc.) & Software/Mastering Part 12**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 9, 2015.

1. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

Hi gang! Back in 1991, a band called Metallica put out a single titled Enter Sandman, a ridiculously inane heavy metal ditty that I admittedly and embarrassingly enjoy! There’s a bit in the song where the vocalist shouts “BOO” and it just cracks me up! I’d like to acquire a career-spanning compilation of their material including the aforementioned song in the best quality sound available. Any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

2. Hammer70

Hammer70 Forum Resident

I don't know if any of the OPPO's have NAS capability. I have a really nice Cambridge Network Player (CXN V2) that I use as a NAS (plus I have a 8TB drive connected to it for when my laptop is switched off). But the OPPO has been one of my greatest electronic purchases ever (as I'm sure you'll concur with yours!).

moomoomoomoo and Beaker73 like this.
  3. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

I suspect it was a money saving choice by Universal.

4. moomoomoomoo

I don't. I use USB Flash drives. You can also use an external USB HD (the 95 will only read up to 2 TB; I don't know about the 105 & 205).

5. moomoomoomoo

Interesting. My 95 will play burned SACD iso's. I intentionally stayed with the last firmware version that allowed that (December 2012).

Cast Iron Shore and Hammer70 like this.
  6. Hammer70

Hammer70 Forum Resident

I should have been more clear: I can burn SACD ISO's to a DVD-R and it will play fine. All other ISO's - DVD-V, Blu-Ray (video and audio), DVD-Audio - play off a USB drive (as if burned to a disc). My SACD ISO's only work through the disc player on an actual disc.

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  7. moomoomoomoo

Thanks for the info! I just burned a bunch of DVD-v's 7 had to split them to fit on a sinle layer disc. It would have been much easier to copy the iso's to a flash drive. I've owned my 95 since 2011, & never thought to try to play an iso by USB.

You probably know this already: but don't ever upgrade your firmware. Once "upgraded" Oppo doesn't allow you to install an older firmware. The last one that allowed SACD iso's on the 95 is 61-1219.

Hammer70 likes this.
  8. Hammer70

Hammer70 Forum Resident

No plans to upgrade the firmware here. Got my 93 in 2011 as well. Luckily, I followed OPPO forums at the time that indicated that the studios had asked for the ISO file capability to be taken away. Never upgraded again and disconnected the wi-fi access to the player just to be safe. Sometimes the 2TB limit irks me (not sure why) until I realise how many ISO's I can put on a single drive (roughly 260 DVD-V's (at 7 GB per)). And I can connect three drives simultaneously. Damn, I love this technology so much! :laugh:

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  9. moomoomoomoo

I did the same with Wi-fi. Oppo told me at the time the mandate came from the blu-ray licensing organization.

Hammer70 likes this.
  10. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

There was no CD.

11. olinko

olinko Forum Resident

The new Metallica remaster is 24/44.1, the 24/96 and 24/192 versions being sold are upscales according to highresaudio:

"Please Note: We offer this album in its native sampling rate of 44.1kHz, 24-bit. The provided 96kHz version was up-sampled and offers no audible value!"

(not sure about the additional content, but the main album definitely is 24/44.1)

Here's the DR info:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Metallica / Metallica (The Black Album) [24/44.1 qobuz 2021]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR10 -0.20 dB -11.41 dB 5:32 01-Enter Sandman
    DR10 -0.20 dB -11.35 dB 5:25 02-Sad but True
    DR10 -0.20 dB -10.92 dB 3:48 03-Holier Than Thou
    DR10 -0.21 dB -12.41 dB 6:27 04-The Unforgiven
    DR10 -0.20 dB -11.43 dB 6:44 05-Wherever I May Roam
    DR10 -0.20 dB -10.83 dB 4:00 06-Don't Tread on Me
    DR9 -0.20 dB -10.13 dB 4:05 07-Through the Never
    DR10 -0.20 dB -13.42 dB 6:29 08-Nothing Else Matters
    DR10 -0.20 dB -11.20 dB 4:17 09-Of Wolf and Man
    DR10 -0.20 dB -10.66 dB 5:09 10-The God That Failed
    DR10 -0.20 dB -11.58 dB 6:50 11-My Friend of Misery
    DR10 -0.20 dB -11.12 dB 3:53 12-The Struggle Within

Number of tracks: 12
    Official DR value: DR10

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 1756 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

superstar19 likes this.
  12. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Wasn't it recorded to tape?

Those numbers look a little different than the last remaster. Wasn't there just a 2020 remaster of this? Yes there was, still showing listed at ProStudioMastes (along with the new one). In both cases, they list it as 24/44.1 mastered in 24/48 (the 2020 release) and mastered in 24/96 (the NEW 2021 release).

13. olinko

olinko Forum Resident

Don't know, honestly, not really a Metallica fan, I just like the album so I saw that

EDIT: From the dedicated Metallica remaster thread:
    "In fact drums and bass were recorded analog while guitars and vocals were digitally recorded. And then the album was mixed entirely digital."

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    Plan9 and jfeldt like this.
  14. moomoomoomoo

I've been listening this morning to 24 bit singles & ep's from upcoming full albums & boxes. Assuming they are indeed representative of the full release; here are very short mini reviews:

1. Chicago - Elegy EP, 25 or 6 To 4 single & Someday Single (Live at Carnegie Hall): AWFUL. Reminds me of the band's recent awful remaster of CTA. Unlike CTA, this has a ton of exclusive recordings... grrrrrrr.

2. David Crosby - Riff 1 Single (If I Could Only Remember My Name): Promising; very good sound.

3. Eric Burdon & War - Spill The Wine Single: Uncertain, much better than the Chicago, though!

4. Joni Mitchell - Archives #2 6 song EP: Mostly very nice, should be much better sounding than Archives #1

5. Beatles - Let It Be Remix EP (Includes 1 remix, 1 live & 1 Glyn John mix of 3 different songs). Loud. I hope the blu-ray has less compression like with AR & TWA.

6. Neil Young - Cowgirl In The Sand (Official Bootleg #1) - Not quite up to Neil's usual standards (official bootleg?), but worth getting for this fan. The acoustic guitar has little top end & too much lower midrange. Somewhat different arrangement than 4 Way Street.

7. Doors - Riders On The Storm Demo (LA Woman Anniversary) - Interesting version! Sound is "ok".

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  15. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

One more post to clean up my own mess.

I listened to my new Blu-Ray rip and was surprised to hear mono. It wasn't until I went to re-rip that I realized that the 1968 mono mix was also on the Blu-Ray.

I did fresh rips of the mono and stereo, no multichannel. AudioMuxer was a big help in getting the sources correct.

Foobar Dynamic Range Meter shows DR11 for the entire mono album, and DR11 for the entire stereo remix. The two pause tracks were not included.

Mickactual likes this.
  16. moomoomoomoo

Thank you again for sharing this. To think of the time & discs I could have saved.................... Tried it last night on a dual layer dvd-v iso & played perfectly.

Hammer70 likes this.
  17. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

I'm listening to the 2021 HD remaster of Costello's This Year's Model now. Sounds good, and dynamics are fine (DR 12), but there's a rather irritating treble peak that can be fixed with -2 dB @ 4 kHz.

Kyhl and Michael Macrone like this.
  18. moomoomoomoo

I deleted my 2015 because the DR was such an improvement. After doing that, I played the new version. It sounds significantly different than I remember. Is this a remix or alternate versions?

19. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

It definitely sounds trebly, but there's no statement about it being a remix or different takes. I'll have to compare it to my old CD (the 2008 deluxe edition).

20. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

The Crosby has been created using the latest iteration/improvements in the Plangent Process, so it ought to sound stellar.

sunspot42 likes this.
  21. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

There was a tape indeed because Warner reissues from 2008 were cut from "Original Tapes" at Bernie Grundman's place (the 45 RPMs) and as me and other members discussed the SPARS code was AAD for CD version. Though, it was definitely mentioned somewhere that some samples were utilized during the recording so a digital step of some sort was involved.

As for other remasters, I remember the first hi-res Metallica - Metallica was HDtracks 24-96 version that I got in 2012, which was confirmed to be a downmixed version of DVD-A release from 2001. Then they reissued another remaster in 2016, this time significantly more compressed, and now we have this 2021 reissue. Since it was made by Robert Ludwig, I think it will be the definitive one based on his work with Alice in Chanis - Facelift from last year, which was a vast upgrade over original CD to me. I personally always favored that early HDtracks aka "downmix" Metallica and it was just a tiny bit better to my ears than original CD (though it infamously has the panning effect on Enter Sandman solo).

Kyhl likes this.
  22. moomoomoomoo

Has anyone heard it or even seen a DR?

23. Soundslave

Just to support my words (and I see I was right about analog drums and separate editing) here are a couple exceprts from Bob Rock interview
    And from Mixonline Enter Sandman feature

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    Kyhl, jfeldt, Hymie the Robot and 2 others like this.
  24. Soundslave

For the lastest remaster? Yes, I saw a post about it. Very similar to early HDtracks version I mentioned. Just give me a sec...

Here
    Just as a reference here's early HDtracks DR
    and here's previous remaster from 2016

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  25. moomoomoomoo

Thank you! So if I understand correctly, the only difference between the 1st 24 bit edition & the 2021 24 bit (original album only) is the early version was a quad fold down & the new one is a true stereo mix? Can anyone comment on significant EQ differences?

Soundslave likes this.