Hi-Res Download News (HDTracks, ProStudioMasters, Pono, etc.) & Software/Mastering Part 12**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 9, 2015.

1. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Yep, that's it. As far as significant EQ differences, I only checked the Youtube songs they uploaded so can't say anything. I can definitely say that Bob Ludwig fixed a minor clipping occasion of Kirk's solo on Enter Sandman (which I heard both on original CD and HDtracks) and that's great. In the dedicated thread, I remember comments that the details are a little more prominent, like guitars are more audible and overall instruments sound better separated now.

2. Hammer70

Hammer70 Forum Resident

In my digital library, within deluxe or super deluxe sets, I sometimes replace the main albums with a superior version (for example, the four Fleetwood Mac deluxe editions, where the 192/24 releases were more dynamic). In this case, a Facebook group was claiming the DVD-A was superior to this release. I think they're basically enamoured with the surround mix as the stereo 96/24 DVD-A files are more compressed than this new release. So I'll stick with the 24/44 files from the new release for the main album.

olinko and moomoomoomoo like this.
  3. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

I do the same. Was in fact just listening to Fleetwood Mac 2011 Tango + the DE

Hammer70 likes this.
  4. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

A "stupid" question if I may. I recently inherited an older Moon amp (I-5) , with no digital connections
    whatsoever, but with some very nice speakers (Acoustic Energy AE2). I've got some HR downloads on hdds,
    so I got a 20ft. 1/8" to RCA cord to be able to play them on the new gear via laptop. Some sound great, others..
    well not so great compared to my upstairs AVR/Oppo set-up. The Moon will not display resolution being played.
    I'm using VLC to play, or FooBar. Is some sort of down/conversion being applied, and if so, where in the chain?
    I'm just puzzled that some sound great to my (old) ears, but some are decidely not, so I just play a 16/44 or CD.

5. moomoomoomoo

Probably a sonic shortcoming of your laptop's inexpensive sound card. It's not going to come close to an oppo's DAC or Analog stage.

Plan9, Hammer70 and NorthSidePark like this.
  6. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

I've tried running it through a cheap DAC (Fiio), no difference at all. Like I said, just really puzzled
    by the different results, i.e some fine, others Meh. I sort of thought (unlikely now when I think about it)
    that the laptop would just passing through the signal (like bypass) but I'm floundering in the dark here LOL.
    I love a lot of 5.1, so I'm often upstairs/downstairs, but for stereo only I really enjoy the new (for me) rig.
    I can use my phone to send signal, but then am only using an even inferior soundcard?

Sorry, hope I'm not threadcrapping, will take this to hardware if appropriate.

Thanks for replying!

7. Hammer70

Hammer70 Forum Resident

Great minds and all that! :love::wave:

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  8. Hammer70

Hammer70 Forum Resident

In the esteemed words of the great Meat Loaf: "You took the words right out of my mouth."

If he has an OPPO, I'd use that every time via a USB stick or drive.

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  9. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

LOL. But the OPPO (103) is upstairs, and I love the new/old stereo setup downstairs.
    Would a decent DAC help? My God, talk about a 1st World problem.

10. Hammer70

Hammer70 Forum Resident

First World problems indeed - and sometimes I feel guilty about it (seeing what’s happening in the world).

But given that’s where we’re at, I’d say that a DAC would be your best option.

moomoomoomoo and Amnion like this.
  11. moomoomoomoo

I'd agree with Hammer, especially if your Oppo is an 03.

Important: Does your laptop have an spdif digital output (Preferably NOT toslink)? If not, a DAC would be useless, as would be running an analog signal from the laptop to a Fiio or your new setup.

12. moomoomoomoo

HD Tracks Sale:
    For classical fans; 79 Pentatone titles at 50% off. The 1 weird thing is Pentatone is known for SACD's, which would usually be sold as a 176/24 or 88/24 dl. These are all 48/24 & 96/24.

HDtracks

And 40% off of 8 Rock & Pop titles, including 3 box sets (no code required on either of these)

HDtracks

jfeldt and PTgraphics like this.
  13. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

Not at all, just get a DAC with a USB interface.

Amnion and Plan9 like this.
  14. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Some FIIO models have a USB DAC mode, but it's not the easiest/best experience to be had. Also, some FIIO models also have a fixed LINE-OUT
    output (3.5mm single stereo jack form factor) that can probably find an input home on the poster's inherited Moon amp (with at most adding a 3.5mm to RCA adapter cable to his life). That's what I'd do: Load up the FIIO with music files from the laptop over USB, add the uploaded music to the library using the FIIO software, and dedicate a LINE-IN on the amp to being fed by the FIIO LINE-OUT (Not the FIIO headphone-out!!).

Amnion likes this.
  15. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Got the email about that last night. Thinking about getting the ZZ Top box set. Any real difference in sound quality between the 96 and 192 versions?

16. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident

Same mastering and DR.

jhm and PTgraphics like this.
  17. moomoomoomoo

I've only heard the 192. Most of it is very good. Can you tell the difference between 96 & 192 on your system? If so, I'd suggest the 192 as with the right gear I've found it to be slightly better than 96 with identical mastering.

18. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

Thanks! Already have the cable, but the Fiio isn't a player (no internal storage) it's a Dac/Amp. (Q1)

BUT, I realized (haven't tested yet) that I neglected some instructions found elsewhere..
    1. Have all player apps (VLC, Foobar etc.) closed before connecting DAC via USB (might not be detected)
    2. Remember to switch default Windows audio output to the DAC, not speakers
    Thnks again folks

jhm likes this.
  19. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Ah. I see. Just looked the Q1 up on Amazon. Note that it tops out at 96/24, not 192/24. Plus, it really is meant to feed headphones. It has it's own amplifier, so the danger there is that you will overpower your vintage receiver's inputs, and get bad sound.

You've got 2 basic goals here:

1) You want a higher quality Digital-to-Analog conversion than your laptop offers, so you want the digital bitstream fed to an external (usually USB) DAC which isn't just off-the-shelf laptop motherboard chipset.

2) You want analog audio going to your vintage amp and speakers.

I didn't read the thread back far enough to see that your FIIO was only a DAC/headphone amp. The problem with running music from your laptop to analog input on your stereo system, is that the computer hardware becomes a ball and chain, tethered to your stereo system. The dedicated players, made by FIIO and others, can get quite expensive, but you can see the advantage of working with something the size of a cellphone, which you can easily up and take to your preferred sound room, connect to one cable, and hit "Play".

20. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

Thanks Tony, you're spot on with what I want. The ball&chain aspect doesn't bother me (have 2 laptops, could leave one downstairs.) I also would have no other real use for an expensive player, if I have to spend more, I'd definitely put
    it into a better DAC, as you said "You want a higher quality Digital-to-Analog conversion than your laptop offers"
    The Q1, as basic as it has, does have a fixed line out, which bypasses volume control, bass-boost switch, etc.
    I only have a few things above 96/24, which I can downsample with Foobar I suppose either "on the fly" or
    just make another set of files and archive the higher Res ones.

Again, my sincere thanks for taking the time.

Bruce

21. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Thanks for the info. My system is still coming together so while it's not too good now, it will be much improved in the near future. My DAC is the Auralic Vega, 1st version, so I think I have a good base for the 192 files.

PT

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  22. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

TonyCzar, Hammer70 and StingRay5 like this.
  23. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

for those who may be interested...
    NAZARETH 'CLOSE ENOUGH FOR ROCK 'N' ROLL' (1976)

24/96 now available from HDTracks (and I suspect other HR sites)
    Official DR value is 13 - the numbers are; 12/16/13/13/13/12/12/12/12

art and Plan9 like this.
  24. moomoomoomoo

2 Head East titles & 2 Pat Benatar were also added.

25. art

art Senior Member

Great new titles on Hdtracks: Linda Ronstadt (Silk Purse!), Suzanne Vega, Joan Armatrading, Everclear, Merle Haggard, Crosby & Nash, Smoking Popes, Head East, Tubes, Nat King Cole, Tommy Boyce & Bobby Hart, Rita Coolidge, Grand Funk Railroad, Ozark Mountain etc...

Anyone heard any of these yet ?

jh901, jbg, sunspot42 and 1 other person like this.