Hi-Res Download News (HDTracks, ProStudioMasters, Pono, etc.) & Software/Mastering Part 12**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 9, 2015.

1. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Anyone know if HD Tracks will have the new Revolver set in 24/96 like all the other remix releases? I only see it on Qobuz for now

2. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

Likely. FYI: On most of the Beatles Expanded, The blu-rays are much less squashed than the downloads.

Quincy, rbbert and TheAbsentMind like this.
  3. GLYNSTYLER

GLYNSTYLER Forum Resident

From Qobuz. 192kHz. Now I'm concerned. I don't hear those pops on the previous HR download of "Jungle Line". Is it the mastering unmasking this detail or is it a faulty file?

4. moomoomoomoo

Either a bad encode or a fault in the mastering/conversion of the file Qobuz got. Try re-encoding the 1 file with Trader's Little Helper & see if that fixes it. It usually repairs HDT encoding issues. Can you post at what time in the song you're hearing the noise & I'll check mine? I haven't played that track yet.

TLH free download:
    Trader's Little Helper

5. GLYNSTYLER

I hear pops in both channels even before the vocal starts. They continue throughout the song, making me wonder if it's not a looped needledrop.

6. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

That track has always sounded particularly muffled. I wonder if previous mastering engineers were filtering it or rolling it off to suppress the clicks and pops on the source track she used?

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  7. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Is there a bad file of “Jungle Line” from both Qobuz and HDT?

8. moomoomoomoo

I just checked it on my pc. NOT the most transparent system around.......... I heard 1 tick/pop between 7 & 8 seconds into the song in the left channel. I'll try to check it on a better system later in the day. It's not the encoding issue I suggested above. That tick is not audibly present on the same system on the 2013.

9. moomoomoomoo

I just checked Jungle Line on my main system. I counted a total of 5 occurrences of ticks & pops that sounded like vinyl artifacts. I'm not prepared to state what caused them, but you are not hearing things. I'm wondering if it may have been a glitch in the digital transfer?

Unfortunately, I already deleted the MQA files, so I can't compare those with the 192.

10. moomoomoomoo

Joni's back in 192 on HDT. Just got an email.

HDtracks

11. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Shows Not Available to me...

CBackley likes this.
  12. moomoomoomoo

I missed the light red ink on the upper right. Wonder why they just sent the email a few minutes ago promoting it?

CBackley likes this.
  13. moomoomoomoo

PSM's select format bar is also frozen on that title. I wonder what's up? I did check about 15 random tracks last night & it was all good. (checked all 4 albums). I obviously missed Jungle Line, but it's not one of my favs.

14. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

On one system, I was able to add it to my cart @ HDTracks. On another I got the dreaded "Product Not Available." I just went with 24/192 from PSM. I literally didn't know the Joni Asylum box was upon us until today. Thanks for your detailed input.

sunspot42 and moomoomoomoo like this.
  15. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

The Asylum years box is also available at highresaudio.com at 50,00€. Downloading now :)

Crimson Witch and sunspot42 like this.
  16. GLYNSTYLER

I figured out a way to fix the duplicated "Same Situation" on Court & Spark. Delete track 5 and then re-tag track 4 as "People's Parties - Same Situation". No more problem.

17. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

Or just load track 4 into Audacity and truncate it in the gap between the two songs.

18. djwkyoto

djwkyoto Forum Resident

There is no gap, the songs segue right into another.

Still, there are countless options to work around this. One could make a playlist that excludes track 5 or whatever. In digital, this is really a non-issue.

TonyCzar likes this.
  19. moomoomoomoo

The excellent Dan Fogelberg live at Carnegie Hall had a similar problem, even on the cd. One song was duplicated. It required ripping the cd (or accessing the download), & doing a cut with a wav editor. This one is much simpler.

20. Hammer70

Hammer70 Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing this issue. I hadn't listened to Court And Spark yet from this set. Made a simple split in Audacity and deleted the duplicate "Same Situation" and dual track "People's Parties". Re-added new tracks to library in JRiver. All fixed.

21. moomoomoomoo

This can also be done in Windows Explorer, if you don't mind PP & SS combined as one track with a new name. Very simple fix.

22. Hammer70

Hammer70 Forum Resident

That's easiest - though the metadata has to be changed too. But since I've now got four versions (2013 192/24, DCC CD, internet needle drop and now this), I wanted them to match. So I used the same edit point as on the DCC disc.

23. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

This is the tutorial I used to split the track.
    I also used Mp3Tag to change the title from Peoples Parties to Same Situation, and the track number from 4 to 5. Audacity didn't delete any tagging info. Audacity version 3.0.2.

Hammer70 likes this.
  24. moomoomoomoo

I use dbpower amp for tagging.

jfeldt likes this.
  25. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

One could also write their own cue file and leave the audio files the same

moomoomoomoo likes this.