Hi-Res Download News (HDTracks, ProStudioMasters, Pono, etc.) & Software/Mastering Part 12**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 9, 2015.

1. olinko

olinko Forum Resident

Not really relevant, I'm just so glad I get to see this on this forum. It's usually people going on and on defending how their system would prove to you in a heartbeat that two identical sources are...well..."day and night"

whohadd likes this.
  2. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Hey, I'm no golden-eared pro, like, say, that Vlado Meller fella', OK? I'm here to represent the pleb down on the street and save the working man some coin. :righton:

3. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

Wasn't Vlado Meller the guy who screwed up the original Columbia half-speed master LPs that had to be redone?

4. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

The DR numbers on the new remaster of Raw Power aren't as horrific as those on Iggy's new album, but still not great given that the DR of the original nonremastered Raw Power CD is DR11

_______
    Iggy & The Stooges - Raw Power (2023 Bowie Mix) 24-192/Iggy & The Stooges - Raw Power (2023 Bowie Mix) 24-192_dr.txt
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Filename
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR8 -0.29 dB -9.65 dB 1. Search and Destroy [2023 Remaster] (Iggy Mix) (Album Version).flac
    DR10 -0.37 dB -12.47 dB 2. Gimme Danger [2023 Remaster] (Iggy Mix) (Album Version).flac
    DR8 -0.29 dB -9.15 dB 3. Your Pretty Face Is Going to Hell [2023 Remaster] (Iggy Mix) (Album Version).flac
    DR10 -0.35 dB -12.19 dB 4. Penetration [2023 Remaster] (Iggy Mix) (Album Version).flac
    DR8 -0.29 dB -9.93 dB 5. Raw Power [2023 Remaster] (Iggy Mix) (Album Version).flac
    DR10 -0.29 dB -11.51 dB 6. I Need Somebody [2023 Remaster] (Iggy Mix) (Album Version).flac
    DR7 -0.29 dB -8.93 dB 7. Shake Appeal [2023 Remaster] (Iggy Mix) (Album Version).flac
    DR8 -0.29 dB -9.97 dB 8. Death Trip [2023 Remaster] (Iggy Mix) (Album Version).flac

Number of Files: 8
    Official DR Value: DR9

==============================================================================================

5. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

I'm listening to this one, now. Are you able to get the DR for Iggy mix that's out today, too? It sounds worse than I remember it.

Whistle likes this.
  6. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

I have searched the forum so forgive me if this has been asked, but how do the 24/96 versions of Dylan's albums sound from HDTracks? Mainly Highway 61, Blonde on Blonde, and finally Desire? I searched the dr loudness site but couldn't really find any info. My bootleg series box is supposed to finally arrive today so I am in a Dylan mood.

I checked HDTracks for Time out of Mind, but I see it is only 24/44.1 so I'm not sure if that is much of an upgrade. I currently have the CDs from the complete albums collection box, those are my go-to CDs.

CBackley likes this.
  7. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Forum Resident

Is this the Iggy mix or the Bowie mix? If it’s the former, it’s potentially a significant improvement over the 90s CD.

jhm and C6H12O6 like this.
  8. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

I don't have the DR for the new Iggy mix remaster, but I agree, based on the samples on HDtracks, that it actually sounds worse than the 1997 CD (though not as loud). It's like someone threw a blanket over it.

The post you quoted says "2023 Bowie mix". Listening to the samples on HDtracks, it still has no bass. I doubt this album will ever really sound good, which is a shame.

9. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

That's pretty much exactly what I thought listening to "S&D" on the Iggy mix.

10. ParanoidAndroid

Actually, the post I quoted has both '"2023 Bowie Mix" at the top and "[2023 Remaster] (Iggy Mix)" for the individual tracks, hence my question.

StingRay5 and RnRmf like this.
  11. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

I saw that and wondered if the metadata is wrong. The jury is still out until @Cast Iron Shore can confirm.

ParanoidAndroid likes this.
  12. Cast Iron Shore

It's the Iggy mix. Don't know why it says Bowie

13. Cast Iron Shore

I was comparing it to the more dynamic 1980s non remastered CD not the awful 1990s one.
    Iggy And The Stooges - Raw Power

SinnerSaint likes this.
  14. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

Since it's the Iggy-mix, did you notice a difference in overall sound compared to your memory of how you thought the Iggy mix sounded?
    @StingRay5 and I had a similar reaction to hearing the new Iggy-mix mastering .

15. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I’d like to know this too.

Gezza likes this.
  16. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

I don't get why ANYTHING marketed to an audiophile audience is below DR11. It's like they want the release to fail.

17. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

The 60's and 70's albums are well done....then slightly ruined by unneassary compression. Time out of Mind and Love and Theft should be good.

ccbarr likes this.
  18. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

The 60's & 70's USA Dylan SACD's always sounded acceptable to me, if not exceptional.

ccbarr likes this.
  19. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Re Iggy Raw Power I think on HD Tracks they have both Iggy's mix and Bowie's mix as separate downloads in 24/192 flac. I do not have them yet.
    Also Silk Purse by Linda Ronstadt is on HD so hopefully the other Capitol albums will follow one day.

20. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

TOOM from HD Tracks sounds fine to me. I do not know why it is 24 bit 44.1 and not 24 bit 96 like Love and Theft and also all the new Fragments TOOM releases are available in 24 bit 96. I have some of the 60s and 70s albums in 24/192 flac from official downloads and I think they are based on the hybrid sacds and in the case of Times the 2005 release.

ccbarr likes this.
  21. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

This is the Iggy Mix

Album : Raw Power (Iggy Mix - 2023 Remaster)
    Artist : Iggy & The Stooges
    Year : 1973
    -------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    ---------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------
    DR8 -0.29 dB -9.67 dB 3:30 1 - Search and Destroy
    DR10 -0.37 dB -12.42 dB 3:33 2 - Gimme Danger
    DR8 -0.29 dB -9.12 dB 4:55 3 - Your Pretty Face Is Going to Hell
    DR10 -0.35 dB -12.18 dB 3:42 4 - Penetration
    DR8 -0.29 dB -9.91 dB 4:17 5 - Raw Power
    DR10 -0.29 dB -11.51 dB 4:53 6 - I Need Somebody
    DR7 -0.29 dB -8.89 dB 3:05 7 - Shake Appeal
    DR8 -0.29 dB -9.96 dB 6:08 8 - Death Trip
    ----------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------
    Number of tracks : 8
    Official DR Value: DR9
    Samplerate : 192000 Hz
    Channels : 2
    Bits per sample : 24
    Average bitrate : 4743 kbps
    Codec : FLAC

And this is the Bowie Mix

Analyzed: Iggy & The Stooges / Raw Power
    ----------- -------------------------------------------------- --------------------
    DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    ---------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------
    DR8 -0.31 dB -10.15 dB 3:29 01-Search and Destroy
    DR10 -0.31 dB -12.79 dB 3:31 02-Gimme Danger
    DR9 -0.31 dB -10.08 dB 4:55 03-Your Pretty Face Is Going to Hell
    DR10 -0.31 dB -12.03 dB 3:38 04-Penetration
    DR8 -0.31 dB -10.19 dB 4:26 05-Raw Power
    DR10 -0.31 dB -11.24 dB 4:57 06-I Need Somebody
    DR8 -0.31 dB -10.60 dB 3:03 07-Shake Appeal
    DR8 -0.31 dB -10.95 dB 5:54 08 -Death Trip
    ----------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------
    Number of tracks: 8
    Official DR value: DR9
    Samplerate: 192000 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 5283 kbps
    Codec: FLAC

22. ParanoidAndroid

There is only one other version of the Iggy mix, the 1997 CD, which has a dynamic range of 1. I haven’t heard the new version but if the numbers above are accurate, there’s a reasonable chance it’s at least a bit more listenable.

23. Cast Iron Shore

You’re right. The 1980s one is the Bowie mix. Forgot about that.

24. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Megadeth - Rust in Peace 2004 remix was made available on HDtracks in 24/96.

What bugs me is that in the booklet of PSBWB 2011 remaster (anniversary boxset), there was noted the 2004 mix of the album was not included on the DVD-audio because it was made in 16/44, hence it is in the boxset as a separate CD. I wonder if RiP 2004 is unpsampled.

25. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Here's the technical notes for Rust In Peace Remix:

96 kHz / 24-bit PCM – CAPITOL CATALOG MKT (C92) Studio Masters

Tracks 1-9 – contains high-resolution digital transfers of material originating from an analogue master source Tracks 10-13 – 44.1 kHz / 24-bit PCM, mastered in 96 kHz / 24-bit

The remixes are a complete waste of time regardless, but if you are interested in them it looks like the original 2004 CD releases have better DR numbers than the Hi-Res release. No big surprise as most of the damage was done in the remix stage (the MOFI issuing of Countdown To Extinction shows this clearly).