Hi-Res Downloads - Would you repurchase your favourite music if it was released in this format?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bherbert, Sep 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident Thread Starter

We all know that physical media has seen a massive drop in sales over the past decade. Streaming is the medium that most people in the developed world are using to listen to music and discover new music. However, some of us want our music in high resolution. Would you repurchase your favourite albums when they get released in hi-res as downloads? I certainly would. It's the best of both worlds - convenience and the best sound quality available.

2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

So Hi-Rez always = better? I have found this to not be true on too many wasted dollars.
    I'll take the best mastering for my tastes, whatever format it may be.
    Voted No as a majority I have do not trump what I already have :cheers:

LEONPROFF, polchik, art and 3 others like this.
  3. bherbert

True. Depends on the source of the digital files.

c-eling likes this.
  4. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I voted No. I wouldn't do it now but I did buy lots of downloads several years ago when they first became available. To me it's like so many other formats in that it is more about the mastering than the format. I was disappointed in so many. What I already had turned out to be better or at least the equal to the high res downloads I just stopped buying a couple of years ago.

Besides downloads are almost passé as streaming has already surpassed them in the market.

5. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I would only buy it if it came from a better source and had better mastering, which usually high rez does not sound as good as the original CDs.

SOONERFAN, klockwerk and nosliw like this.
  6. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I voted no. I downloaded several 24 bit versions in the past ;however, at this point I have stopped. A few of them have been good, but most ended up being a waste of money. Why not just increase the quality of the cd mastering?

klockwerk likes this.
  7. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I wouldn't buy downloads, but would consider SACD or Blu Ray Audio versions. Even so, as people have already said, just because it's Hi-Rez doesn't mean it's automatically the best version... It should, but it doesn't.:D

500Homeruns and seed_drill like this.
  8. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Best mastering wins. I'll choose that every time.

9. bherbert

Would 24 bit streaming be the solution?

10. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

Nope

klockwerk likes this.
  11. Use_Your_Koala

Use_Your_Koala Forum Resident

Depends on the mastering.

500Homeruns likes this.
  12. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

I'm happy with my bank account and don't want to deplete it to replace music I already own.

13. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Honestly, I am not set up to play anything but physical media through anything but my computer's speakers.

klockwerk likes this.
  14. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Depends on the mastering and the information about the mastering that is provided prior to purchase. The 2015 Rush downloads for example, I was happy to re-purchase as a CD upgrade. This is the exception and not the rule (and yes some people hate the watermarking on these and would say it is still a bad buy).

15. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

With the luck I've had with computers, no thanks.

16. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

Yes if the mastering is better, often it's not.

Soundslave likes this.
  17. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

No.

There are way too many capital letters/hyphens/slashes/number combinations for me to decode for a wise buying decision. Too complicated for the better sound return (if any). Have you tried reading a DAC review lately?

TonyCzar likes this.
  18. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Nope. They are still way too expensive.

19. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Absolutely, if the mastering is audibly better than the best CD version I can get at a reasonable price (reasonable price being a highly variable concept depending entirely upon how much I love the album in question).

I've found more success hunting down CDs that share a common mastering with a forum favorite, given that many forum favorite CD masterings are of hard to find or expensive releases.

20. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I would pay a few bucks extra for this if it was an Apple Music option.

Dave 81828384 and bherbert like this.
  21. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Until audible watermarks DIE! (Here's to you, Universal Music Group) and all DRM and all Proprietary crap DIE, I refuse to buy any downloads.

klockwerk and vivresavie like this.
  22. Joe McKee

Joe McKee Forum Resident

I voted yes - all things being equal downloads are more convenient for me. Most of my playback is through my desktop streamed to my main system or a played through a USB DAC into my older system. (neither system is great, but they get the job done) Given that - physical media adds the work of ripping and storing the original. Not that it's much work but it's less convenient.

Unfortunately - all things usually aren't equal and you usually can't be sure what mastering you're getting. Because of that my purchases have slowed significantly and I spend more time and money seeking better, known masterings on physical media.

Dave 81828384 likes this.
  23. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

That should have been an option :edthumbs::cheers:

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  24. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

I can't speak to the ubiquity of watermarks, but what major download sellers are selling files with DRM?

25. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

CDs & LPs for me. Have no interest in making a laptop a stereo component.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.