Hidden Tracks (!!! SPOILER ALERT !!!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KurtNevermind, Mar 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Or, it shows people did play the album, they didn’t skip tracks, it was an appealing album, and there were copies of the album that didn’t include it.

ARK and KurtNevermind like this.
  2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Don't forget The Clashs' "Train In Vain", wasn't supposed to be there...

Hep Alien and sharedon like this.
  3. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I'd think any engineer who stuck something unasked-for on a Beatles album would be working at the Wimpy Bar within a week.

phillyal1 likes this.
  4. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Not listed in the Wiki article

Cowboy Junkies, Miles From Our Home, about 3-4 minutes(???) after the last track "Those Final Feet" concludes, there's a great unlisted album closer. IMHO, one of the better tacks on one of their weaker albums.

WHMusical likes this.
  5. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

And you know this, as fact, because?

Can you please cite a reliable source as to how that song fragment ended up tagged onto the very end Cry Baby Cry, without nary a mention of it anywhere, on the record jacket, or elsewhere for years. Seeing as that recording fragment came from an unrelated session for 'I Will', according to Wikipedia, anyway.

And the situation as I hypothesized is exactly how 'Her Majesty' ended up BACK on the tail end of Abbey Road, after Paul described it as rubbish and deemed it to be excised and then destroyed.
    (IIRC correctly there is video of an interview with the engineer how surreptitiously added Her Majesty to the end of Abbey Road out there somewhere.)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  6. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I don't, which is why my post began with the words "I'd think." But I wouldn't assume that anyone could just play tricks on the most popular/powerful group in the recording industry. Likewise, I would certainly think that the Beatles signed off on "Her Majesty" before it actually went out.

anth67 likes this.
  7. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

Cracker's Kerosene Hat has four hidden tracks buried deep at the end of the CD. Hi-Desert Biker Meth Lab, Euro Trash Girl, I Ride My Bike and Kerosene Hat (Demo Outtake)

mschrist, Hep Alien, ARK and 2 others like this.
  8. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

The Dream Academy-Life In A Northern Town, 1985 UK 12 inch
    I missed it a few times, but at the end of the demo of Edge of Forever (Poised) is a backwards masking chorus of Life, kinda neat.
    I tubed it awhile ago in case anyone's interested :)

Hep Alien likes this.
  9. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

I'm a little confused. I thought that the pregap could only hold a few seconds of material, not minutes, let alone 20 minutes!

We're talking about putting the CD in the player, then rewinding past the beginning of track 1?

I first heard of this from a local band Creedle who on one of their songs sampled Van Helen's "And The Cradle Will Rock" where they were able to get "...and the Creedle... and the Creedle..." in there.

I was told that's all the data that could be pur in a track zero. This was the mid-90s, so maybe things have changed.

KurtNevermind likes this.
  10. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Not necessarily. The initial copies of the album never had "Endless, Nameless"

11. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

No, you can indeed have a long pregap, as the Leon album did. Think it's just a question of where the first track is indexed.

Gems-A-Bems likes this.
  12. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Yes, you can have an entire song in there. You could probably create an entire CD as a pregap if you indexed it that way, as long as you started with a fair amount of silence so the person would know when to stop reverse seeking.

Hep Alien likes this.
  13. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I was freaked out multiple times by Endless Nameless...I simply forgot to consider it most times I played the cd.

mschrist likes this.
  14. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: Every Coke commercial done by a major popular music act in the 1960s contains the phrase, "Things Go Better With Coca Cola." Roughly half of them fade out with the phrase, "Coke after Coke after Coke."

Hep Alien, Saint Johnny and anth67 like this.
  15. team2

team2 Forum Resident

The Twin Peaks Season 2 And More Soundtrack has a hidden track before the first songs. You have to rewind-scan to hear about a minute of blowing wind and muffled music.

[​IMG]

Hep Alien likes this.
  16. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Well, heck, I've had XTC Coat of Many Cupboards for years and never knew till this thread about these: Disc 2 – "Wanking Man," Disc 3 – "The Shaving Brush Boogie!"

Hep Alien likes this.
  17. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

I had not asserted in my post that the 'fabs' were completely unaware that it was done, just that as
    noted in the article about how Her Majesty ended up at the end of Abbey Road, due to an engineer 'mistake'(?). It was regarded as an happy accident by all and left in.

"Her Majesty" song by The Beatles. The in-depth story behind the songs of The Beatles. Recording History. Songwriting History. Song Structure and Style.

bRETT likes this.
  18. KurtNevermind

KurtNevermind Kurt Cobain's greatest fan Thread Starter

Even though I never knew about the extended version before this thread, from the 1st time I listened to White Album (actually I only listened to the 2nd LP of the original vinyl version, since that's all I have from the Beatles), I never thought that "Can You Take Me Back" would be part of "Cry Baby Cry". I always saw them as two separate things, since they sound completely different to me. Although I didn't know that "Can You Take Me Back" was a full song, it seems that I was at least right that it's 'something' on its own...

19. KurtNevermind

Out of all the hidden track we carried together, "13" from Queen's definately the scariest, strangest and creepiest, while Nirvana(the masters of hidden tracks :agree:)'s "Endless, Nameless" is the angriest.

mschrist and Hep Alien like this.
  20. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

mschrist likes this.
  21. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

You should add it to the list! I've relied on those lists quite a lot to make sure I'm finding everything when I'm ripping my CDs. They're certainly not complete, but they're still informative.

KurtNevermind likes this.
  22. KurtNevermind

That's what I actually thought, too. Well, this thread proved me wrong...

23. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

4AD Lilliput V/A, 1992 Disc 2 after Swallow's Follow Me Down (Instrumental)
    The Tintwistle Brass Band-A Thousand Stars Burst Open (Pale Saints Cover)

24. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

It’s not a secret track, more, like, ‘tucked away’.
    I suppose why it’s track 69 has to do with Tool’s particular sense of humor, if Undertow’s artwork already didn’t give that away.

I always thought the monologue was a cameo by Bill Hicks, but supposedly it was Maynard’s landlord.
    I guess he doesn’t need to deal with all that anymore, heh!

I love how it’s sequenced with Flood preceding it.
    Undertow’s last four songs really set the stage for Ænima.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    Chrome_Head likes this.
  25. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Nah....

They merely popularized the phenomenon and Gallons... on In Utero wasn’t really a secret track as it’s listed.
    The Beatles did it first, on the White Album, then Abbey Road.

Other early examples are:

Yes - We Have Heaven (reprise) on Fragile.
    The Clash - Train In Vain on London Calling.
    U2 - Fire demo (Saturday Night) on Boy.

Hep Alien likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.