High Definintion Digital Film Transfer Question..

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lsupro, Jun 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

I'm not sure how you view "scaling" (as opposed to the term resampling-- which is actually what is going on), but I assume you feel it's benign?

There is a reason why he puts that disclaimer on his site about it not being professional. I've been going there for several years now, but I never go by the images because they are screwy half the time, IMHO.

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

You assume incorrectly. I just did not think that you were describing it accurately by saying they were "downsampled". There are problems with the way they did it, but assuming you would be watching on a TV/projector/monitor capable of reproducing the highest resolution, it's grossly analagous to what the result would be. One of the faults which you are pointing out is that the scaling (or "up-sampling" :))is almost certainly not the same as what your TV/projector/monitor would do itself, and I agree with that, but I would stop short of calling the comparison useless. The difference in the amount of edge enhancement between the current and previous release is demonstrated pretty obviously.

Regards,

3. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

Ken, we'll agree to disagree about the usefulness of the images at the Beav's, because part of my point is that one cannot correctly judge the level of edge enhancement (among other things) once an image's sharpness has been altered. At least one other poster here noticed how blurry those screencaps are.

Maybe I was being unclear by continually referring to the images as being down-sampled. In my mind I was trying to get across that all resampling leads to loss of sharpness. Truthfully, I didn't care whether those images were up or downsampled. I just knew they had been resampled, because they are all the same size and they are all soft. An HD image should not be soft.

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I don't really disagree all that much. All I am saying is that the method they used is not entirely unlike what you would wind up with watching all three transfers on the same sized hi-def display or projecting them on the same size screen, which is not that far from the situation that people find themselves in when actually viewing a film. Just about every digital TV I have seen does some sort of scaling between vertical lines.

Moderate edge enhancement is barely noticeable on smaller screens from reasonable viewing distances. It looks terrible when blown-up/scaled/whatever for a larger screen. The Beaver's method gives you a feel (though not a perfect representation) for how each transfer would look on the same sized screen.

And everything looks blurry if you sit too close. :)

Regards,

5. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers Thread Starter

I assume they will used these HD transfers for the HD-DVD releases when they come out in a couple of years, no?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.