High end power cords do make a difference!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tom Littlefield, Nov 12, 2017.

1. AmericanHIFI

AmericanHIFI Long live analog (and current digital).

How does that make a difference?

2. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

I use Triode Wire Labs Power Cords as well as Triode Wire Labs Speaker Cables....excellent products, and Triode Pete is one heck of a nice guy. Oh and I use Oyaide power outlets. I have Synergistic Research interconnects in a second system as well...And I have a few pairs of Wireworld Power Cords as well

3. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Jay Victor makes audio cables for a few company's as well as his own brand which is very very exxpensive...Clarus Cables. The owner of Audio Advisor asked Jay Victor to make a cable for him to sell as his house brand. That cable is Pangea". Audio Advisor owns Pangea brand name.

4. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Its a simple as( to me that is), if you have stock stable power, no difference, waste of money.
    If you have dodgy power, or dodgy wiring between house circuits etc etc...may well make a difference.

5. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I did not know that. Thanks.

6. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Many would disagree. I would say that you have an advantage in Oz with the 240v - but plenty of Aussie audiophiles use after market cables.

7. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Well, I cant attest to the 120V users, I have to admit that. Yes, power in general is very clean here.

8. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

I posted that I've tried expensive power cords and I didn't hear a difference, and my post gets DELETED! What is the agenda here?

Shawn and showtaper like this.
  9. This thread is not to debate the efficacy of high-end power cords, it is intended only to discuss which cords are recommended and the best value for those that believe high-end power cords improve equipment performance. I suspect your post will be deleted and mine with it but it is a waste of time to enter threads like this and offer opinions that are negative to the intent of the thread.

LarryP and FLEMKE like this.
  10. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

11. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

There are definitely some ideas that an audio manufacturer may try to market, that just don't make any sense at all. If anyone suggested using a lower conductivity material than copper, in a power cord, it would seem to me a perfect example of being absolutely absurd.

Unless... of course... I heard it and it sounded better. Then I would suddenly and pridelessly transform my opinion.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  12. tootull

I'm referring to household wiring.

13. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

I have never upgraded a power cord on anything, ever... but after reading some of the posts maybe I will give it a try.

14. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

I suggest you borrow one or more high-end power cords before committing to a purchase. No matter what people say is their favorite power cord, actual results vary tremendously. Just because somebody writes (and this includes audio reviewers) some Cardas power cord "transformed" their system, THEIR experience means nothing in reference to YOUR system.

I sell power cords (among many other audio components). But I also loan out demos, and recommend potential buyers try them at home before forking out the big bucks.

murrays, Dave, Shawn and 7 others like this.
  15. TheVinylAddict

Great minds think alike - there is a reason I never did it... but always willing to try for myself, I am always learning something new. I learn the best though when I hear / see it for myself though!

RiCat likes this.
  16. tootull

With audio cables, I like solid core wiring. Placebo or not, I'm happy.

timind likes this.
  17. tootull

Warren Jarrett likes this.
  18. TheVinylAddict

... yeah, I like solid core too! Good parallel...

19. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Is there a reason solid core is supposed to be better?

20. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Darker data. Richer downloads.

21. russk

russk Forum Resident

Never would have guessed that from the title though. If that was the intent it should have been titled something like recommended power cords or best value power cords. The tile for this thread would imply surprise that they work as marketed or that they work as marketed despite the disbelief of many. I do wonder if someone started a thread that read something along the lines of " expensive power cables don't offer any improvement and offered a reasonable scientific explanation as to why" how long it would last and how protected by the mods would it be. Just wondering.

Anyways to the OPs post. I have some of Signal Cables Magic Power Cords in 8 foot lengths because I needed longer cables than came with my amp and DAC. They are well built and much nicer looking than the OEM cords. The two of them cost me less than 180 bucks delivered. As for sound anytime I mess with power delivery I'm concerned about making the sound worse I've heard cheap power strips gut amps. Just make the sound fuzzy and more restrained. The Signal Cable cords had no audible negative effects. Not that I expected them to but sometimes in this hobby you wonder about stuff like that. They also make a great extension cord specifically for audio gear that I might be getting. Definitely worth checking out.

Power Cables

Dave and Higlander like this.
  22. triple

triple Senior Member

How much is expensive? $25 each?

23. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Is this a new forum rule, that I've missed? Any input to this type of thread should include a range of experience, so long as it's based on that rather than dogma and isn't offensive I understood we're on solid ground.

Having looked at the current RRP of my cables and they're £200 each and I'm glad I purchased, the addition of a dedicated line was at least as important. I was lucky my fuse box was in my cellar and running the wire was easy and I just needed an electrician to connect it all up.

I suspect the results you get are going to vary widely given all the possible variables, so at least try and get a loan of any cable you're thinking of buying.

24. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

timind and Jimi Floyd like this.
  25. Dozey

Dozey Active Member

They certainly made a difference for me - Atlas - but on my headphone amp (Auralic Taurus + HD800) the result was too "etched" when I put the kit on my mana rack, so I went back to the original lead.