High-powered tube amp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by -=Rudy=-, Feb 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff Thread Starter

I don't think anyone here would know an exact wattage, but my cousin once picked up a pair of mono tubed amplifiers, along with something that, I think, was part of the power supply for them. These were made by McIntosh, but they were very "institutional" looking...just a metallic gray faceplate on all three units with a gold McIntosh logo, and they were made to rack mount. He said they were pulled from a studio, where they powered a cutting head on a lathe which mastered LPs.

IIRC, the output tubes were larger than anything I'd seen before. He claimed the amps put out 200 watts each. I am not sure if that is a high guesstimate or not. On one hand, I haven't seen many (any?) tube amps that powerful...and yet, I believe those cutting heads need a lot of power. Just curious, more than anything...he could have been blowin' smoke, or maybe just inhaling a bit too much of it! ;)

I recall only one amp was functional--he had to wait awhile to save up money to replace the bad output tube in the other amp. It was pricey, even back in late 70's dollars...

2. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

It could have been an Audio Research product. They had beefy tubes in the 70s and they always make high current amps.

:)

3. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff Thread Starter

This was definitely McIntosh gear--I remember the logos. (Was also a bit surprised at how different they looked in comparison to the consumer gear--still looked high quality, but very no-frills and businesslike.) If I had to guess, I'd put a 60's date on this equipment.

These two companies weren't related, were they?

Would be interesting to hear from Steve, if he's ever encountered tubed gear that drove a cutting head. Probably wasn't all that uncommon back then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.