Higher end 12 string acoustic guitar recommendation please

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ecki, Sep 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

exactly...you get it..

The FRiNgE likes this.
  2. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Can’t go wrong with
    Taylor

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I had a beautiful dead mint Martin d-12-28 from 1973 (first year) and it really sucked, soundwise. Sounded like I was playing a lute. So used to that Guild sound. At any rate, I currently don't have an acoustic 12 and I'm not too sad about it. Keeping it in tune, keeping the intonation up and down the fretboard correct, these are almost impossible goals. But, I cry a little when I feel like playing like this and I can't.

The FRiNgE and Michael like this.
  4. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

On the bright side, you don’t feel like playing it very often

5. harby

harby Forum Resident

I would not recommend a small-body Yamaha APX at all. It is a boxy sad sounding guitar that is only useful for playing electric, and then it doesn't really make a good acoustic sound when amplified either.

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I hear ya...my dream 12 was the model John Denver used in the late 60's early 70's...he's playing it on a Midnight Special show with Mama Cass Elliot here:
    John Denver & Mama Cass - Leaving On A Jet Plane

7. Ecki

Ecki Forum Resident Thread Starter

Takamine EF400SC TT:

Normally Youtube demos do not catch me soundwise. This one did! What do you think?

BTW again hard to get in Germany...

8. Ecki

Finally, the Takamine P3DC-12 made it ... product-details

It has a very powerful sound, loud, very resonant, "wooden", but still fine, too, although not "gentle" (and still i prefer playing it with a massive plectron).

To be honest, i am even more impressed by the sound the EF400 TT demo by Linda Taylor, but i had to import on my own, partly yielding toll fees etc., i found it too complex all in all.

Forget about what i said about all the other guitars above. It's an absolutely individual experience, depending on room character, string state, exemplar of model and so on. I've enjoyed one exemplar in one shop and disliked the same model in another shop … and cannot even tell why.

9. slowhand1964

slowhand1964 A Tadpole in a Jar

As others have stated, Guild hands down. If not only for playablity. I've played both Taylor and Martin and would give the Taylor a close second to Guild. Plus the Taylor is such a gorgeous guitar!

I have an Ibanez AEL2012, and while a Guild, Martin, Taylor wipes the streets with it tone wise (unplugged), the Ibanez is real easy and comfortable to play. Where it levels the playing field is when it is plugged in via the onboard pre-amp via xlr. Once plugged in, all bets are off, and the Ibanez Fishman pre-amp is excellent, able to create any tone you wish. Cheapo, yes, but I give props to the Ibanes playablity and pre-amp sound.

10. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

frummox and townsend like this.
  11. Ecki

Too late :cool:

12. Ecki

Addendum:
    After one and a half year or so, my neighbouring instrument shop finally managed to get hold of new Guild F-512 Maple Blond 12 string. Unbelievable … thank you, Guild, it's such a mercy, shipping some guitars to Germany :realmad:

It's clearly the best sounding 12 string i ever had the pleasure to play. Significantly different from the Guild Demos btw (as always) and signifanctly better than anything 2512, 1512...

BUT, in the end, i did not buy it. 12 strings are rather hard to play (at least when going beyond simple strumming), there is a limited spectrum of usage at least for myself, and most important, as good as it sounded, i did want to spend more than three times the price of the Takamine (F-512 ~ 4.000€, no electronics, no tuner). The gain in sound quality simply does not justify the price (in my eyes, of course).

In meantime the Takamine wood has been treated diligently, a new set of Elixir nanoweb 80/20 bronze is on, F Major chord stuff works quite fine (1 fret barree stuff in std Tuning was really hard in the beginning).

13. frummox

frummox Forum Resident

My first acoustic 12 was a Yamaha, not too expensive and plenty loud. Current acoustic 12 is a Larivee. I have a Ric 12 also from the early 80's, changed the pickups to toasters, similar to the pickups on the '60s Ric. If your look for a Ric 12 see if you can find the Carl Wilson model, it has the thinner (more resonant) top, similar to the '60s models. (you probably know but Rics have very thin and NARROW necks. Takes some left hand adjustment)

All Down The Line likes this.
  14. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Yes I agree as I played a cousins ric in 86' & the neck seemed almost like that of a toy.

15. Ecki

I'm quite happy now with Takamine P3. Guess, it will not be my last 12 string, but it was a very good choice in the end.
    To me and up to now, Guild F-512 would be the only real boost, but i'm not ready to pay the price (price vs. sound quality too extreme imho).
    Of course, i'll keep on searching, moderately, but looking forward to any instrument on the way...

16. I've had my 1979 Guild F212XL NT (Mahogany) for 35+ years (Westerly RI built). Fantastic tone & powerful chime. Best sounding 12 I've ever played by far. No top out even with a heavy hand. It is a handful to play compared to a Taylor or Takamine but just blows away any other guitar tone & volume-wise. I installed a K&K Pure Mini & run it through a Zoom A3. Just magical. My nephew borrowed it for studio work & was thrilled with it. He's a MUCH better player than me. You'll need the heavy duty Shubb Capo... it's a beast. I alter tuning from full step down up to concert. Slight belly bulge scares me a bit but it seems to be holding steady over the last decade or so. It sounds best in concert. Just a strum turns heads.

All Down The Line likes this.
  17. frummox

frummox Forum Resident

I tune both my Larrivee and Rick 12 up to pitch. A first I thought it might be a little scary but I haven't had any problems and I've had them both for many years. I also know that Roger tunes his Ric 12 up to pitch and has never stated he's had any problems.

18. guitarguy

guitarguy Tone Meister

Glad you are enjoying the Tak. As you can probably tell from my profile pic, I am both a fan of Roger Hodgson and also of 12 strings. I’ve always had a 12 in my arsenal which is currently both a Taylor 450 purchased new in ‘95 and a Danelectro.

The Taylor is truly a wonderful guitar. Stable neck that is easy to fret, accurate intonation and stays in tune. The early 400 series were quite different guitars than current. Mine is solid mahogany and Sitka spruce with the classic matte satin finish of the 400s of this era. I’ve seen these on eBay and reverb going for more than the $1100 I paid originally. I played the Guild 512 as well but actually chose the Taylor due to better playability and having more of a “studio sound”. It records great and sits in a mix very well. I don’t regret my choice as I still love this guitar after 25 years. It has aged very well..a little more mellow but still bright and articulate. I also tried Tak and Seagull at the time.

Incidentally, I have had the chance to play Rodger’s main Guild, “Sophie” a few times. Wow. Yes, this IS the “Give a little bit” guitar. He still tours with it.

19. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Haven’t read the thread. Guild. That is all. Why dick around?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.