Hilariously innacurrate advertising - Post your examples.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Strat-Mangler, Oct 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

While looking at old soundcards, I found this little tidbit at the top-right of the box, claiming this soundcard is so amazing, it'll make MP3s sound better than CDs! :biglaugh:

[​IMG]

Dave, black sheriff, nosliw and 3 others like this.
  2. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Is it live or is it Memorex? :D:D

Keith V and SandAndGlass like this.
  3. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Pure, perfect sound forever ...

[​IMG]

4. Helom

Helom Forum member

"Our revolutionary U.S. patent #9247339 (issued January 26th, 2016) allows us to literally align the moving mass of speaker cones to the harmonic spectra of the musical instruments being played. This means that, in theory, we’ve now made every other high fidelity loudspeaker on earth obsolete in one fell swoop! Again, I believe I can make a strong case for claiming that every other high fidelity loudspeaker is now obsolete"

-
    Tekton Designs

TektonDesign LLC

BD2665, dirtymac, jon9091 and 8 others like this.
  5. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Yeah . . . if they have a separate cone for every instrument, and a bunch more for overtones, echo, etc.

SandAndGlass and Brother_Rael like this.
  6. Gumboo

Gumboo Forum Resident

Tekton was on my radar for possible speaker purchase. Then Eric put that load up on his site. Now Tekton is barely a blip.

7. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Biggest pile of...? Tough call now with a three way split between Harley's MQA editorial, MQA itself and that Tekton attention grabber. What to do!!

Gumboo and dchang81 like this.
  8. timind

timind phorum rezident

I hadn't seen this before, but I did fall for all the hype and bought a pair (thankfully used). Sold them less than a month later.

dchang81 and SandAndGlass like this.
  9. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

I'm not familiar with Tekton or their patent. What was the story there exactly?

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  10. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

Just head on over to Mapleshade Audio and browse some of their product offerings.

Fruff76, shirleyujest, Gumboo and 3 others like this.
  11. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

As soon as I began reading your post, I said to myself, it smells of Tekton Design!

A while ago, the first time that I was on the Tekton web site, this same individual was ragging on "efficient horn speakers" and went on to explain how his designs were better.

Seems like ole James B. Lansing, Western Electric / Altec and Paul W. Klipsch, were charlatan's. Of course, we could add in Avantgarde and a whole lot of other bumbling companies, and sizable portion of audiophiles around the globe.

We should all bow down the this individual. I'm speaking of the founder of Tekton Design, Eric Alexander.

Just a few months back, I was commenting about just what you wrote, to another forum member.

Funny :laugh:

timind likes this.
  12. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

Is this hilariously inaccurate?? Thought it was becoming more respected as time moves on?.This advert was over 3o years ago.And in my opinion this format is still the most robust,convenient music storage ever invented.Combined with top sound quality and you have one of the best inventions of all time.It has now made the existing formats seem very dated,unreliable,inconsistent and costly in comparison.Yes at the time of this advert people were still a bit miffed that these disks could be scratched or broken if badly mistreated.And yes at the time DAC's and players in general hadn't been perfected.But since the 90's and if the discs are handled with reasonable care then the format is more entitled to 'perfect sound forever' tag than anything else ever invented.My 3o year old philips player still plays music as good as it did when new.Without ever being repaired/cleaned or serviced.My 30 year old CD's also plays as good as they did new, without any degradation at all in sound.

13. Davey

The picture is actually a 45 year old Philips sampler CD with songs from the likes of Eddie Rabbit and 10cc, mixed in with some classical and light jazz selections, not exactly the most enduring examples of our music history to enshrine as pure, perfect sound - forever. Even though the post was intended as just a light-hearted jab, I do appreciate your seriousness and support of the format, and mostly agree, but if you listen to much modern music produced for the CD format, I think you would know how far we have moved away from that perfect promise made in 1982.

nosliw and SandAndGlass like this.
  14. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

And bad cooks blame the LeCreuset for their burned filet mignon.

timind, basie-fan, Dave and 2 others like this.
  15. Otlset

Otlset I think I am I think

Well, with some records at least it almost seems that way.

[​IMG]

Gumboo and SandAndGlass like this.
  16. dchang81

dchang81 Forum Resident

just read the shills on audiogon. makes me want to puke.

17. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

6moons can be pretty bizarre.

basie-fan, Dave, Gumboo and 2 others like this.
  18. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

Oh yes. One of the reasons I don't visit there anymore is that every review is written by an Ernest Hemingway wannabe.

timind and Gumboo like this.
  19. Tim Müller

Tim Müller Forum Resident

Well, I think the adverstise was quire accurate and informative.
    The format is still alive and well, and newer formats like SACD or DVD-Audio, nor Blue Ray Audio could ever compete.

20. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Anyone who believes M&Ms don't melt in your hand has never had a handful of M&Ms.

timind, MisterBritt, davidb1 and 2 others like this.
  21. Davey

Point taken, but I also don't see any resurgent interest within the audiophile community in restoring one of those early 80s Philips perfect players with their single multiplexed 14-bit DAC either. The fact that we have had a series of higher resolution , and many would say much better sounding, digital playback products since that time, even though most were not nearly as successful as the CD player (as others have pointed out here), still shows how far from perfect sounding those early players were. We've had 40 some-odd years now to make the CD player more perfect by devising ways around the built-in limitations of the format, and the designers have been very successful in doing just that, but that success only goes to highlights the lie in those original ads from 1982.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  22. Tim Müller

No, that's not quite true.
    In fact, many audiophiles praise the sound of the early CD players, with those early multibit non-oversampling DACs.
    Also, in fact, there are no real limitations in the format, other than it is limited to stereo only, no surround sound.

Encore likes this.
  23. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I think DTS CDs are still technically "CDs" aren't they?

24. Tim Müller

Yes, and CD-ROMS too. As well as coasters.

25. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

That's not what they claim.

Their claim was, the milk chocolate, melts in your mouth, not in your hand.

About this claim, I discovered, as a kid, that their claims were, indeed correct.

Growing up as a kid, in mostly pre-air-conditioned Miami, I had plenty of experience with M&M's.

The truth, that I did come to realize, was, their colorful candy shell", melts in the palm of your hands, giving them sugary, sticky, rainbow colors (plus brown). :p

Dave and Bender Rodriguez like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.