"Hip-Hop Evolution" on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Complier, Jan 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Complier

Complier Senior Member Thread Starter

Excellent doc series about hip-hop through the years.

2. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I agree I have been really liking it so far. I’m up to the Southern Scene so far.

3. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

I do find it a bit surface, you could probably do a whole episode on EACH of the artists covered, but overall I think it's doing a great job of touching on the major and some of the minor artists throughout the history of the genre. Very well done.

head_unit and Shawn like this.
  4. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Call me when they get to MY HIP-HOP HERO;
    PRINCE PAUL!!!!

5. The new season was released recently. I’m thoroughly enjoying it, really well done. Nice to see artists like DJ Kool Herc get recognition on this platform.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  6. I’ve long wondered what the deal with that guy was. The genre might not exist without him, yet he’s kept a microscopically low profile.

7. More on this point: The show is of course modeled on that other Banger Productions show Metal Evolution, and while I'm more of a metal guy, based on my viewing of the first two seasons I think this series is better done overall. Not least because the nature of hip-hop's evolution has been more locale-by-locale than metal, which gives this series more of a cohesive feel, but the host isn't affecting the naivité that Sam Dunn did from time to time, which was a bit distracting.

Zoot Marimba and Shawn like this.
  8. peteham

peteham Senior Member

He wasn’t, for the most part, affecting that.

9. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I did enjoy Metal Evolution, but this show easily surpasses that one.

10. Jimmy Disco D

Jimmy Disco D Forum Resident

I didn’t know about this so thanks.

I see kool herc was mentioned, is there an episode dedicated to the early New York scene?

I hope so, I love that early stuff.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  11. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

there was a series on Channel 4 20 years ago now, the Hip-Hop Years, and the first part looked into this. Excellent series, can't believe it is 20 years old.

12. Episode 1 of the first season for certain, episode 2 a bit as well. Three seasons so far, 4 episodes in each:

Hip-Hop Evolution - Wikipedia

Some of those artists I haven’t listened to in ages - Kurtis Blow, Afrika Bambaataa, Grandmaster Flash - I forgot how fresh sounding their stuff was.

Another film that ties in nicely is 808, about the Roland TR-808 drum machine:

808 (2015) - IMDb

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  13. Jimmy Disco D

Cheers, I'll have a look for that.

14. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Three seasons of four episodes each. I was asking for more after each season. While this seems to be lead by one person (the narrator) and suffers from a bit of disorganization, it does a very good job of showing the evolution of Hip-Hop. I especially enjoy listening to the opinions of the "original" Hip-Hop artists about this "evolution".

Zoot Marimba and Jimmy Disco D like this.
  15. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

:righton: 808 isn't on Netflix streaming but APrime Video has it up now.

Shawn likes this.
  16. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

I like it , but they focus a lot/too much of East Coast / West Coat stuff that during the time AND NOW I find extremely stupid and tangential to "real hip hop."

But I'd say 7 of the 12 episodes are GREAT, and a few more are good/interesting.

I'm glad they talked out Freestyle Fellowhip as much as they did.

Glad that Lord Jamar was not very involved.

ando here likes this.
  17. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

It's wild to thing this is from the same Sam Dunn as the great great Metal Evolution series. When I saw the Banger Films logo I though "Whoa! What?!?!? Ah, this is gonna be good and so far (1st episode playing now) so good. I got into this through a buddy very early-or so I thought but they are some years ahead of that. We came in like the records on Dre's floor in Straight Outta Compton-Doug E. Fresh and so on.

I'm gonna think a lot of folks on this forum ain't big hip-hop fans (I know a lot of you ARE though). However, never EVER in history has a musical style dominated THE ENTIRE GLOBE like this. Not even jazz. And just like any other genre, there is great stuff and there is cr@p.

Now, who the heck is the cool gospel choir following Cab Calloway at 31:00?

Jimmy Disco D likes this.
  18. Jimmy Disco D

I eventually remembered to have a look at this last night. I saw the first one, which was fantastic, nothing really I didn't know about to a certain extent but it certainly filled in a lot of details and the interviews and footage were excellent.

Who can't enjoy that clip of Flash cutting it up in his kitchen with Fab Five Freddy looking on?

Next one I saw featured my other favourites - Native Tongues. Another great episode with some really informative stuff about De La Soul, Tribe Called Quest etc...

Thanks for the recommendation.

19. Season 4 is now on Netflix. I've watched the first two episodes and thought the 2nd (The Southern Lab) was particularly good - glad to see the attention paid to DJ Screw.

pressureworld likes this.
  20. pressureworld

pressureworld Forum Resident

I was glad to see DJ Screw and the SUC get some acknowledgement. The whole series is pretty good. I wish the show would reflect more on lesser known artist instead of the superstars.

Shawn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.