Hired guns...the best session musicians?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SpiderJohn, Nov 23, 2022.

1. pizzaland

pizzaland Child of the 1960s

He is a session man,
    A chord progression,
    A top musician.

longdist01 likes this.
  2. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Seems that Phil Collins was often roped into projects if he happened to be in the next studio, or things like that. When Eno did some synth stuff for Genesis, Phil played on one of Eno's albums as payback and then Eno called him for some later albums.

lrpm likes this.
  3. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Some of the best players I ever heard were backing Little Richard at BB Kings in NY a decade ago- have no idea who they were and they were not credited anywhere I could find at the time of the show. Bass player (electric) was playing two bass lines simultaneously and the drummer was doing acrobatics while playing. Band was over the top--I was with Rob Stoner (of Rolling Thunder fame) who said "those dudes are assassins."

4. Swedgen

Swedgen Forum Resident

Yeah it's funny how I've read frequently how Stu was the go to guy for boogie-woogie (and he was very good at it) - until I heard the live 1972/73 stuff with Nicky playing those songs. Stu was terrific but Hopkins was just on another level. As he was described, a classical pianist with rock and roll feel.

5. Tim Pierce WITH Matt Rollings . . .

6. Toy Matinee - The Ballad of Jenny Ledge

Tim Pierce discography - Wikipedia

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

8. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the section are/were the best session band ever.

Finch Platte likes this.
  10. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Went to hear Lyle Lovett and his large band several months ago at ACL- the bass player looked just like Leland Sklar. When Lyle introduced the band, he not only identified Sklar but Russ Kunkel, who I would never have recognized- last time I heard Kunkel was back in the '70s when he was touring with James Taylor. Sklar and Kunkel have been working together on records and tours for 50 years. It was so great to hear and see them.
    PS: I would also add David Lindley who appeared as a sideman in sessions and concerts for many years and did solo shows that we caught many times in the past decade or so. Sad he passed; as good as it gets on stringed instruments.

Finch Platte likes this.
  11. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Guy Pratt excellent bass player, worked with Pink Floyd, Robert Palmer, Roxy Music, Echo and the Bunnymen, Madonna, Iggy Pop, Michael Jackson and many others. Can recommend his book "My Bass and other Animals"

12. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

Certainly Jeff Porcaro, Steve Gadd, Anthony Jackson, Larry Carlton, Steve Lukather, The Wrecking Crew, Jim Keltner and the list goes on and on.

13. piston broke

piston broke Forum Resident

Anyone mention Rick Wakeman? My search isn't working but he must be the obvious candidate.

EdwinM likes this.
  14. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

scousette likes this.
  15. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

I went to see Judith Owen in a relatively small venue some years ago. She had Russ, Leland and Waddy Wachtel playing with her. Judith’s husband, Harry Shearer, also made a guest appearance.

Bill Hart likes this.
  16. 6stringer

6stringer ...because it's the music that matters.

If we're talking getting started then Elton John qualifies...and possibly Rick Wakeman?

Hollies, those anonymous covers on Top of The Pops LP's in the early 70's and I think some uncredited T Rex work too. Elton paid his dues.

17. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

In that case Lou Reed counts as well. Did much work on compilation albums pre-Velvet underground

6stringer likes this.
  18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Wakeman was a session player, yes. I think his first major one was "Space Oddity" and then he had many others before joining Yes a few years later.

Finch Platte and 6stringer like this.
  19. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

Eric Clapton on All Things Must Pass was cool.

20. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Life on Mars and Morning has Broken come to mind.

21. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

He was cool on White Album as well

22. greasepaint

greasepaint Loser's game.

Clarence White - Session work is sometimes overlooked -- e.g. Everlys, Jackson Brown, Randy Newman, Rick Nelson, Gosdin Brothers, Fellow Byrds (and the Byrds before becoming a member)... Lots more - Clarence White | Credits | AllMusic

human riff 999 likes this.
  23. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Dick Wagener

Bob Ezrin's go-to-guy when he thought that a band's regular guitarist wasn't cutting it in the studio.

Played on albums (credited and uncredited) by Kiss, Alice Cooper and Aerosmith.

24. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

Only one song. :shh:

Huxley likes this.
  25. Jay Graydon
    Herbie Flowers
    And the dudes who play on Melody Nelson